QLD - Vendor able to pull out of contract if settlement late?

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question -In QLD If purchaser's bank is not ready to settlement on settlement date, can the vendor pull out of the contract?

I understand that penalty interest can be charged, but my question is.... can they actually pull the contract from underneath you and put the property back out on the market (maybe at a higher price)?

thanks

sq

Hey SQ...

the short answer is no they can't, once unconditional the parties are beholden to the exchange. If you have NOT provided advice of finance approval, then they can terminate but not because of a third parties inability to complete at the specified time - hence the recourse action through the default interest rate which can be passed onto the bank to pay.

Long answer...if they are determined to get out of the contract and have a good solicitor, anything is possible - it's messy, but can be done.

my suggestion would be that legal be sought ASAP and make sure the contracts are filled out correctly and were handled in the right manner.

cheers
UC :D

***this is not legal advice, just my take on the current state of play in QLD - please seek legal advice if in doubt in anyway regarding any matter pertaining to contracts***

Thanks UC, appreciate your reply, it was as I suspected.........just needed clarification on the matter.

cheers

sq:D

I don't think you are correct UC. I beleive that if your solicitor doesn't turn up at settlement with a bank cheque the vendor can walk away and keep your deposit.

UC is incorrect.

In Qld Specific Performance works both ways for the Vendor and the Purchaser.

If the purchaser does not settle on time then the Contract can be terminated (I have done it on a couple of ocassions) and the deposit will be lost.

The Vendor can of course allow an extension of settlement and charge penalty interest as set out in the contract conditions or if no figure is inserted the standard Law Society rate applies.

G'day Qlds007,

So, what's "the other way"? i.e. when the VENDOR can't settle? How does that pan out?

Regards,

HI there Les

When a vendor can't settle - possibly because they can't give a clear title the purchaser can claim damages - they can also request specific performance of the contract
thanks

UC is incorrect.

If the purchaser does not settle on time then the Contract can be terminated (I have done it on a couple of ocassions) and the deposit will be lost.

The Vendor can of course allow an extension of settlement and charge penalty interest as set out in the contract conditions or if no figure is inserted the standard Law Society rate applies.

You will note that my comments did allow for the contract to be terminated...you will also note my comment about the default interest rate

I can't comment on the details of "Specific Performance" other than it was my understanding is that it is a court order??? and really just backs up my point about the courts...Specific performance is an order that is only granted upon the REFUSAL to settle a contract and the court will consider the conduct of both parties in the course of making a determination

I obviously don't know the situation upon which you withdrew, so i can't comment there.

When you crash a contract under these circumstances, it is my understanding you are relying on repudiation - which would dictate that someone is not ready or not willing to settle a contract.

It is my further understanding that repudiation only applies where the other party's words or conduct constitute an expressed or implied REFUSAL to settle on time. It is a legal minefield if you are going to argue on the grounds of conduct...and a third parties inability to comply does not necessarily constitute a refusal on the buyers part to settle.

There are more and more cases involving repudiation ending up in the courts for wrongful termination...i'd be very careful if i were going along these lines - cases involving repudiation have ended up in the high court as well.

I am not legally trained so i may have interpreted this wrong, but in Highmist Pty Ltd v Tricare Ltd [205] QCA 357 the QLD Court of Appeal ruled in favour of a buyer who had indicated an intention to settle, but only on terms decided by a third party (in that case a court). It could be argued that in this case SQ's scenario intends to settle, but the terms (rather timing) is/are being determined by the banks...there is nothing in her statement that expresses or implies a refusal to settle...

Once again, my suggestion to is to check it out with a legal advisor ASAP...

Just on a side note, you will also be aware of clause 10.7 of the Terms of Contract that provide "If requested by the other party, each party must, at its own expense, do everything reasonably necessary to give effect to this contract"

Not as clear as it seems is it...my statements where to point out that in general - it is not a problem and a matter of a letter of explanation between solicitors will suffice and settlement will be effected by arrangement with the extension. IF however the vendor decides to crash the contract, there is legal recourse depending on how good the solicitors are etc...

as in all legal matters, nothing is in concrete until it has been tested in the highest appeals court in the land

again, happy to be corrected, but if someone crashed a contract on me in qld because of a third parties mistakes...i'd enjoy having a crack at it!!

cheers
UC:D

IF however the vendor decides to crash the contract, there is legal recourse depending on how good the solicitors are etc...

....and what a most delicious slippery slope it is to, with both Seller and Buyer being sucked into a legal vortex where no concrete answers are forthcoming and she's a "We'll have to wait and see" approach....with much lining of pockets all along the way. Brilliant.

In one of our little group gatherings over here in Perth, one lady described the unwillingness of the Seller to settle, despite having signed the Offer and Acceptance form....the Contract.

Told the Buyers to get stuffed, and he was never going to sign the Transfer of Land form, and there wasn't squat they could do against him. They thought there was of course, with the signed contract, and with their solicitor egging them on. Roll the clock forward 2 years, and they are still in dispute and are yet to see any resolution. The Buyer has spent over $ 30,000.00 lining the solicitor's pockets and still the Seller refuses to sign.

All of the experience in the room had never heard of such a carry on, yet didn't put it past some crackpot to back out of a contract once signed, especially if they have some solicitor whispering in their ear about their "rights".

We also firmly believe that you simply cannot force people to do things they fundamentally don't want to do. If they wish to be extremely stubborn, and are happy to pay lawyers oodles of dosh to B*tch and moan at one another, they'll both send threatening letters to one another 'til the cows come home.....it's all they can do. It's a most satisfactory system indeed !!! :D

Folks, I am standing partially corrected...

I checked this scenario out further with our solicitor this morning...

It is a lot easier than i thought for the vendor to pull out. and that is largely due to the "time is of the essence clause". in other words, a failure of the buyers party to complete the settlement at the agreed time is grounds for the termination of the contract.

However, it is not that simple either...the ability of the vendor to withdraw is largely dependant on the nature of the inability to settle and the causation of that inability...especially where there is a delay on the vendors side in say, communications with the other party etc. In that case there are a number of recourse available to the buyer.

The original comment remains though...check it out with the solicitor ASAP...

My apologies for the confusion

cheers
UC:D

Hi All ,

A little bit more to add to confusion . I have just settled on a rural / res acreage . Before settlement I went to inspect the property and there was about 120 metres of fence missing . I told the solicitor I would not settle until it was fixed or paid for by the vendor . His advice was either settle or crash the contract . I was of the opinion I could delay settlement until I was satisfied . It seems in Queensland there is no recourse against shady vendors or agents .

Seagull

Back