QS

I am looking for a quantity surveyor in Melbourne, for two units in Bulleen. The one I've approached (found on this forum) wants $1200 for the two. Is this a reasonable charge?

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul."
Of course, Paul's support is obvious, but it is equally obvious that to rob from Peter to pay Paul will make Peter
very, very angry.
My question is this: "How can you run a good government with a sore Peter?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

$1200, It depends..a bit like asking how longs a piece of string? What service & product do you get for your money?
Happy Investing,
Rixter :)

Reply: 1.1

Well basically two attached 3B units that need a tax schedule.

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul."
Of course, Paul's support is obvious, but it is equally obvious that to rob from Peter to pay Paul will make Peter
very, very angry.

Reply: 2

I have found it to be cheaper going back to the builder. They would have all of the details required.

Regards,
Mannie.

Reply: 2.1

Anony Mouse,

I meant is - What are you getting for your $1200..in others words whats the quality of the schedule like...Im wanting you to work out how much value ( in terms of before sales service, after sales service and quality & quantity of the schedule you are buying) you will be receiving for departing with $1200 of you hard earned cash?

Have you asked ? so as to allow you in making an informed decision and furthermore allowing you to compare apples with apples when getting other QS quotes.

Happy Investing,

Reply: 2.1.1

Hi Rixter,

Problem is, I've never used one before, just let accountant work out depreciation.
I've learnt from this forum that getting a QS tax depreciation schedule was the way to go, so I'm getting myself ready for the 30th of June.
So I would appreciate any feedback I receive.

very, very angry.

Reply: 2.1.1.1

Anony Mouse,

What did you find out from The QS you contacted?
Happy Investing,

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1

Anony Mouse,

Answer:
Peter, who works for the Government, is robbing Paul first without him knowing it!
Peter pretends to be sore to look good!

Also, Paul is always sore no matter what, he's never happy really.
Cheers,
jthorpedo

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1.1

:)
See first post.

very, very angry.

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1.1.1

I went through this a little while ago, Looking for a Q.S.
What I did was ring a few Q.S. and ask for a quote and if they can send me a sample of their reports. It was a good excercise. I had quotes from $300.00 to $600.00. the best one was $380.00 it used a very good report.
Hope this helps you
Steve

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Thanks Steve
Were they in Victoria, and if so could I have contact details?
Many thanks

very, very angry.

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Mr Mouse,

Check out the Australian Institute of Quantity Surveyors and search companies in VIC. Or click on the link below.....

http://www.aiqs.com.au/Find_a_Member/index.htm

Owen

"Gambling promises the poor what property performs for the rich – something for nothing"

Reply: 2.2

I think the worst place you can get a schedule is from the builder.

A good QS will base the depreciation schedule on reasonable and current prices. the taps on the builders report could be at clearance or trade prices. You wont replace them at that price.

Secondly most builders schedules do not include their margin. So you are getting a cheap schedule prepared on the true building cost because builders put their profit on top as a separate journal entry.

Seems like a false economy. You builders may have provided a schedule produced by a QS in which case the above doesn't apply. But what if a different QS gives you a better picture? How would you know if you alsways rely on the builder?

Paul Zag
Dreamspinner
The Oz Film Biz site is archived at...
http://wealthesteem.dyndns.org/

Back