Question about home fa?ade and colours

Hi.
Our home is getting a reno because we will probably sell it when we retire in a few years. It was built in 1988 and the outside has been repainted a few times. It has "black and tan" bricks (brown, maroon and navy) with a dark blue tile roof, tan features above the door and windows, and the original bronze anodised window frames.

The window frames have discoloured from all the sunlight on them, and I am thinking of painting them charcoal, same as I repainted the guttering and fascia. Last year we bought a clear awning over the huge front window. The awning has a charcoal frame.

I want to get some security screens for the front door (maybe) and front windows (definitely). Do you think I should go for charcoal frames or stick to bronze? If we keep the current old fashioned aluminium mesh screen door, would you get matching mesh window screens, or get the modern steel mesh like was discussed a few weeks ago in the crimsafe thread?

I'll have to get a new photo tomorrow
Thanks

it's OK, I'm such an idiot for wanting everyone to hold my hand deciding on something like this.

I went outside to take photos and saw the dogs protecting the house at the flimsy screen door - no problem there.

And the old frames definitely need repainting.
Case closed

Attachments

• IMG_20141209_083505.jpg
    IMG_20141209_083505.jpg
    493.3 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
A full pic of house would be best to advise from members.

How do you plan to repaint the windows ??

Im not a fan of home owners painting aluminium windows with a paint brush,
looks cheap and nasty.

Have you had a go at polishing , see if this improves it , if not ,get someone in
who knows what their doing to respray , you will also need them to etch prime
being aluminium.

Crimsafe seems to modernise the look.

I must have painted dark blue over the charcoal fascias last year when I redid the entire outside.

Attachments

• IMG_20141209_083332.jpg
    IMG_20141209_083332.jpg
    477.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20141209_083234.jpg
    IMG_20141209_083234.jpg
    422.6 KB · Views: 97
I always giggle when the word 'homely' is used here....because you don't mean it,,the way I take it.

We would use'homey'.

Homely...means ugly...

That kind of defies logic.
Are you sure? Is it the proper English VS American English issue??

Disclaimer: English is not my first language.

That kind of defies logic.
Are you sure? Is it the proper English VS American English issue??

Disclaimer: English is not my first language.

I'm Canadian
there
Homey means cozy.

and homely is never a compliment :)

home?ly
ˈhōmlē/Submit
adjective
NORTH AMERICAN
(of a person) unattractive in appearance.
synonyms: unattractive, plain, unprepossessing, unlovely, ill-favored, ugly; informalnot much to look at
"she's rather homely"
antonyms: attractive
BRITISH
(of a place or surroundings) simple but cozy and comfortable, as in one's own home.
"a modern hotel with a homely atmosphere"

Haha... so we should make sure we don't use the word 'homely' in America or Canada :)
You learn something new everyday!

Thank you D, I'll take it as a complement.

When we built we decided to make it very plain on the outside so the burglars would go directly to the slightly classier places next door. Our kids call this estate "white picket fence ville". We were the last of the 80s recession estates, eons before McMansions came along. They are on the other side of Queen Elizabeth Drive and back in Albany Creek.

Wanted to add that we are only getting security screens for the front windows so I can leave them open for six months of the year to catch the sea breezes. A deadlock fell off one of them on the weekend and this way seems better than screwing it back in.

The full frontal

Attachments

• IMG_20141209_083208.jpg
    IMG_20141209_083208.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
I think the orange might put some potential buyers off - sorry, no offence intended! If you're only planning to paint the gables, then I would choose a lighter warm grey colour, then also paint the garage door the charcoal.

You could also do with a few plants along the front face of the house to give a bit more interest. It is quite flat looking at the moment.

I think a good idea to do the front security screens in the charcoal as they should hide the existing joinery (depends what style is existing and what you plan to put over the top). The good thing with charcoal is that is will blend away with the tinted glazing on the front windows so won't look as prominent.

Once you repaint those gables, you'll find that the house will tie through to the driveway a bit better too.

I don't know if this is an option, but painting the roof charcoal would complete the exterior rather than leaving blue. You might even be able to paint just the raked ends if they are all that is visible.

Back