Question for builder / carpenters - building code.

Hi

I am considering a house coming up for auction. I won't be getting a building report for obvious reasons but I do have some concerns about a 1st floor veranda - treated pine. (By the way, what is the difference between a deck with balustrade and a veranda? Is it the height or the way it is supported)

:confused:1st concern - corner balustrade / roof posts.
Inner edge of veranda is attached to house, outer supported by posts to the ground. The support posts only go to deck level - outer beam being partly checked into post. There is a lightweight roof over veranda (Alsynite) which is supported on the outer edge by posts which extend from deck level (also being corner balustrade posts). Here is my first concern - the roof/balustrade posts are only sitting on main support posts and secured by 2 right angled nail plates - other than support given by top and bottom balustrade rails and roof structure at the top.

Is this an acceptable manner to attach the roof/corner balustrade posts - I suspect not. If not, would one or more flat gal plates spanning the join and bolted to each post be sufficient .... or replace top post so that the new one can be 1/2 checked into the top of the main post and a bolt put through the overlap. The outer floor beam is only checked into the main post slightly.

:confused:2nd concern - bracing main deck.
There are two braces (approx 90x45) bolted to the inside of the outer floor beam at one end and bolted to the main veranda support post at the other - by 1 bolt. There is a block of timber between post and brace to keep surfaces flat to each other (thickness of beam between post and brace at top end). Is this an appropriate way to brace - and with just one bolt through brace and post? The veranda is also braced for rigidity by the decking nailed to the joists but I would think this is by consequence rather than structural.

Can someone in the trade please advise. Other than these two areas I don't have any concerns....other than council :cool:.

Thanks

Attachments

• Copy of 2010-01-17 048.JPG
    Copy of 2010-01-17 048.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Copy of 2010-01-17 051.jpg
    Copy of 2010-01-17 051.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 96
Isn't there a builder or carpenter on the forum. I thought this would be the quickest and easiest way to have this question answered.

I wish I could help Beachside.. I'm an engineer and usually have a copy of the timber code on my desk at work, but am on holidays at the moment.. so take my comments with caution. :eek:

Regarding the terminology between a deck and a veranda, I wouldn't be too worried, they both need to be designed the same i.e. carry the same design loads, both have adequate bracing, connections etc.
But imo, I'd call the wrap around (narrow corridor shape) external areas you see on the old Queenslander homes as a "veranda". A designated room size entertaining area as a "deck", usually with its own independent roof. Then there is a balcony ;) Different to a deck by size, but again, they're all designed the same.

I think I know what you're talking about with the post splice, and you're right. A post splice at the deck level with 2 nail plates is ridiculously inadequate. Unless the veranda/deck roof is fully fixed to the main roof and braced out, then you have very unstable verandah roof. I'm guessing the roof was a later addition? Posts that support an unrestrained roof should be continuous i.e. be the one post, in your case you'll probably need new members bolted on with sufficient lap, to achieve "continuity".

Regarding the post to beam "checking", it's not necessarily required provided that the correct bolts with correct edge distance is used. One of the most common errors I see builders make is not achieving the correct edge distance.. from memory it's 3x bolt diameter, but don't hold me to that :eek:

Regarding the bracing, a deck, roof, house or any structure for that matter needs to be braced in every direction. You show one photo of a brace in one direction, which by the way doesn't look like it's at the top or bottom of the post. Bracing that is offset from the post's top or base is useless. I'd really need to see photos on a bigger scale to see if the bracing is adequate.

The one bolt in the bracing/post is ok, and decking is always nailed to the joists.
Hope this helps a bit..

Hi VB

Thanks for trying to help. There is actually no splice currently at main post and balustrade/roof support post - it is a butt joint with 2 nail plates as shown in photo. Not too concerned with roof as lightweight with Alsynte, mainly with balustrade corner post strength. Bracing may also be a concern as attached to main support about half height ground to veranda - attached to veranda about 25% in from each end - approx 40 degree angle at main support post. Veranda and roof appear to be adequately attached to wall and facia. Veranda is approx 2mx5m.

Back