Question for Development Project

Hi guys,

I am just looking for some help to deal with the accounting issues from my first time development project.:confused:

My wife and I bought 2 joined properties (sitting next to each other) and now we have got DA approved to demolish the existing house on one block and build 6 townhouses around the dwelling on the other block. Since the properties are held in our personal names and we might have to pre-sale 2 to 3 units,for which I have pay GST using Margin Scheme, we have decided to to setup a Partnership to carry this development business. Now we just got some questions about how to set it up correctly:

1. Since the properties are held in our personal names, do we need to transfer the title of properties to the new Partnership?

2. I have got some Tax Invoices during the DA stage when we have not setup the Partnership with GST registered. Can I claim those historical GST credit after I have the Partnership setup?

3. Both my wife and I do our own tax return every year, are we required to get a tax file number for the Partnership and lodge tax return for it?

4. I would like to keep least 3 units after the required presale and all of them will be a little bit negative on cash flow if I refinance them up to 80% of the end value. Can I still claim the lost on those units (negative gearing) in Partnership as we do in our personal tax return?

Thanks in advance.:)

Cheers,

Anson

You should have gotten specific accounting and taxation and legal advice on the right structure/s to use, way BEFORE you started this.

At least you are thinking about it now, but it could cost a lot of money to fix down the track.

Some of the bean counters on the forum here will be able to give you some suggestions, I'm sure. BUT you still need to see accountants and lawyers yourself for this.

Back