Question for the full time investors only :)

I realise I was a bit tough but just protecting the innocent, and shimi proofread before you post. Good luck with your research

Shimi,

With the exception of Rolf, no one has given you any real advice on investing.
Now, I to shouldn't be on this thread as I only have three rentals.
The difference with my three is that their value is over one million dollars.
So here is the only advice you should listen to.(Some won't agree but they don't count!)
SYDNEY IS AUSTRALIA, AUSTRALIA IS SYDNEY!!!!!!!!! Now learn is and you can't go wrong.
Pick any suburb in Sydney, check out the growth over the past year or two and you'll see that the capital gains have made people rich. Some people verrrrry rich!!
Check out the worst Sydney suburb and there's been huge growth there as well. Mount Druitt????
As some one said(not me I'm not that smart)"buying in Sydney is investing. Buying elsewhere is gambling."

bbruham.
(haemorrhoids)
Sorry Sim could not help myself.

Last edited:
shimi

Bbruhams post is a perfect indication of why you need to do your own research.

I work in Mt Druitt and have seen that growth happen, BUT over the last year prices were cooling off. Now are they starting to take off ??? !!Time will tell

Will they move up , or will you find that prices go backwards for 6 -7 years like they did after the last boom?

Would you actually put your faith and hard earned moeny in a suburb you have never seen of the basis of a POST in an Internet chat room from some one you have never met , and you have no idea is REALLY like !!!

see change

Originally posted by bbruham

So here is the only advice you should listen to.(Some won't agree but they don't count!)
SYDNEY IS AUSTRALIA, AUSTRALIA IS SYDNEY!!!!!!!!!

And the host for the 2003 Capital gains is SYDENEDEY :D

Hmmm, so why then is South East QLD the FASTEST GROWING AREA in Australia - must be all those Sydneysiders and Victorians escaping lol. I guess it's too bad for those who can't yet afford to purchase in Sydney - might as well not bother hey.

Nat.

Shimi, I'm glad you took my post how it was meant.

OK, some advice for you too.

The safest way to play, is to play where you know and understand.....You dont sound in a position to be "gambling" on risks....

Pick up a REIV (Or whatever state you're in) guide, pick a suburb(s) with average prices in your range.

Research those a little (internet realestate.com etc), check out prices, houses and rentals. Find a couple you like the look of and drive through them.

Pick a suburb close enough to you (you're short on time, so long travel times to see properties is not a good thing). Get to know it well - very well.

Then, figure out the type of property you want and "go shopping"

For example, you're in Sydney yes? Get a median price range from REI?, or buy Aust. Property Investor (which should have it). Look at where you can afford.

I don't know Sydney very well, but in that price range, you'll be outer suburbs somewhere, maybe even Blacktown etc. Maybe a Sydney person could help. The outer suburbs of any state typically have better yields - which helps with your out-of-pocket expenses, but wont have the growth of inner city areas (OK, it will occasionally, but not consistently...)

Either that, or sit back until you can buy where you want....

All the best,

Simon.

Thanks Simon,

Anyone from Sydney? What suburbs do you recommend ? My range is between 150-250K...Is there anything in this range?

Thanks again
Shimi

Hi Shimi,

With 150k-250k you should look at Blacktown or around the Katoomba area.

Buy the API maganize, the last two issues had the CG and the rental yields for NSW, VIC and QLD.

Regards,

Johno

PS I must warn you, I have less than 5 ip's.

Originally posted by asy
Hey Guys!

What's going on here!

Break it up!!!

Now, play nice, please.

asy :D

Last week, it was Uncle Steve; this week, it is Mother Asy. I am looking forward to meeting Aunty and Father!!!!:D :D :D

KieranK

Hey, what do you call this, posting at time of the day. Don't you people have jobs? Get back to work!!!!

Steven,Steven, Steven.If you read quite a few of the websites posts, they are telling you that Melbourne property market is heading south.Yes mate all those so called Melbourne property experts will be heading for cover. Not so in one of the five top international cities of the world, SYDNEY. Can't see Melbourne
on that list.

Natmarie,from Queensland. Beautiful one day, perfect the next,
bankrupted the next!
Yes today it's Queensland's day, Tomorrow who knows, Just waiting for that, it's coming, recession.Then we'll see how the Qld property prices go. In Sundays paper they had a six page property liftout on Queensland. Now I ask myself if Qld is so bloody wunderful, why are they trying to sell it to every person living out side of the joint?????
Couldn't be that the place is sooooo over valued that you lot aren't buying. You people know the REAL prices, about a quarter
of the price that they are trying to get today.

See_Change,
Nice to speak with one of "us" from GODS state.
You're a bit of a worry, working at Mt Druitt though. They guarantee jobs to you, if you have been trained in shooting locals.
Plenty of scope for security guards.Working out there would be like being permanently in the dark. Always night out there.
When I'm coming back from that way, as I cross the Harbour Bridge I can feel a great relieve come over me.

bbruham.
(haemorrhoids)
Careful, Sim. is watching(snip,snip).

Originally posted by kierank
Last week, it was Uncle Steve; this week, it is Mother Asy. I am looking forward to meeting Aunty and Father!!!!:D :D :D

KieranK
Mother Asy?

We don't want nun of that.

It might be habit forming.

At least she'd be a mother superior.

Shimi,

Sorry not to answer your original question. I qualify under your criteria (just)- but I don't invest in Sydney. Your location is listed as Sydney (good)- but you didn't indicate where you wanted to invest. You've indicated Sydney subsequently.

I would not suggest I'm any sort of expert on where to invest anyway. I've just got a few properties here and there.

I've mostly invested where I'm comfortable- in areas which I know. For me, that's been Canberra and Queanbeyan. I know Sydney and Melbourne, but I'm not so comfortable there.

Growth has been good just about anywhere lately. You could just about stick a pin in an atlas, and buy there. As long as there were people to rent and contribute towards the interest bill, you could have done OK.

In the Canberra area, as Michael Croft has said previously, the growth has started near the centre and spread out.

My Canberra properties have done well recently, and I have taken advantage of that. Any growth from now on is just a bonus. I bought for cashflow, with an eye on growth.

But even if you were investing here, I cannot say where growth may occur. I'm a little wary of buying more just now- but then, I was wary of buying in Sydney three years ago :mad:

Shimi, you were at least brave enough to come back and respond to people. That's good. You're learning the etiquette of the lounge. It was probably a hard lesson, but you will have learnt something now to help you get value out of the forum.

You have to admit thou, this method has gotten heaps more responces than the more normal 'please help me' style.

Sorry Shimi, I'm not interested in acutally answering your q.

Jas

good one Simon...:)

geoffw, thanks for the reply, I would prefer to buy in sydney but I don't have a clue where I can find anything in my price range...

I did a search on the internet, all the results I got back were studio/small 1br in Potts Point, Redfern etc.. where I'm not keen to buy :)

Anyone knows on a decent place in sydney outer suburbs, maybe south, where I can find a 2 br for this price range?

Cheers

Shimi

Shimi

After your first post I can't believe Im actually going to offer advice.However, it looks like you have learnt your lesson

I personally like Potts Point-which is nearby and could be easy for you to research.
You can buy a 55m2 1x bedder there for around $250k
Its a 'happening' place -full of bars/cafes/restuarants-and 2 mins via train or taxi into Sydney CBD

I was often told that a suburb increases in value when the demand by wealthier people to move into that suburb increases.

Mirvac/Mutliplex and a mulitude of other builders and developers are building high end apartments there at the moment (Kylie Monogue has bought a $2M apartment in Ikon by Mirvac (Macleay Street ).I don't beleive these apartment will effect the 1 bedder rental market at all...yet the demographics of the suburb has to change (for the better)

Well mate thats my 2 cents worth.

All the best!

Cheers

Sam

Hi again,

What all this feedback is doing to trying to determine your criteria, which was rather vague.

We have a price range $150-250k

What about type?

- House
- Townhouse
- Unit

Do you like to deal with body corporates, or maintaining lawns?

Do you new or used?

Do you want something close by, or are you happy to have it managed remotely?

It could mean the difference between, a 3br house in Sydney's West or a studio in the east. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Michaelg

Back