Question for the self-managing landlords

W

WebBoard

Hi all,

I've just started moving tenants into my latest property. I went around there today to check something out and noticed that two of the sash windows at the front of the house are cracked. There were not like that yesterday. After examining the cracks, it looks like the tenant has opened the windows up to let some air into the place and a strong gust of window has blown them shut and broken two. I have not managed to get onto the tenant about it yet, but I can't see how else they would have cracked that way.

My question is, if it was the wind that blew them closed after the tenant opened them up, what course of action should I take.

1. Ask him to pay
2. Claim it on insurance
3. Pay for it myself

Sorry if the question seems naive but I don't want to be an unreasonable landlord and was wondering what thoughts others had.

Thanks

Miakat

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Mia,

I am not self managed, but anytime there is a hint of broken or cracked glass, my property manager has been instructed to have it replaced and claimed on insurance.

I was inspecting a house once, and it was being professionally cleaned, the cleaning guy was doing windows, he was stretching up high with a cleaning cloth, that slipped from his hands as his hand went over a crack in the glass, which must have had such a sharp edge on it, and his hand just started pumping blood out by the gallon, not nice, I would hate to think if it was a child who wiped their arm across the glass, or put their face up against the glass.

It is far easier to pay for it, or to claim on insurance (still paying for it), than to subject myself to perhaps a court case, or the emotional stress of knowing someone has damaged themselves on a problem I knew existed.

TW

~Life is a daring adventure, or nothing at all~

Reply: 1.1

Miakat,

Have they signed the lease papers as yet?

Serge.

Reply: 1.1.1

Yes, they have signed the lease papers.

Miakat

Reply: 1.1.1.1

Tell'm - tell us the truth and you will get stronger...

Basically what I'm saying is - tell'm that you are going to repair it and you not sure how to split the cost of repairs, where is their fault and where is yours (it was not your fault anyway but what can you do).
Maybe it worthwhile to ask them how did it happen and if they will confirm it, talk to insurance co. hopefully you can put it down as their fault and claim all expenses.
But you probably have to make sure that those windows it self do have all locks and hinges required.
Or otherwise do small-scale renovation while they are there (just window it self and put stoppers as well) and claim it on you tax return next time around.

Good luck.

Serge.

Back