Question on getting 2nd title on 2 lot/1title property

There is this house for sale I am interested in Brisbane. It is currently 1 house covering 2 lots. I've rang council and they say there is only 1 services connected to the lots. I've range titles office and the lady said that both lots are only covered under 1 title. I've ordered a titles scheme/doco thingy.

What i'd like to do is keep the current house whilst gaining seperate titles for both lots. Then in the future demo the house (not under DCP or pre-war) and build 2 houses on the individual titled lots.

Is this possible, ie: to have a house covering 2 lots and still be granted 2 titles or must the house be demolished/removed from the other lot before the seperate title is issued.

CashflowPlus

A bit more information would be helpful. What suburb? What land size? Do you have sewerage/drainage plans for the lot/s? Do you know when the original sub-division was registered?

Basically, it is usually possible to have 2 titles issued. However, there are all sorts of issues/details which may have an impact on the practical and/or financial viability of what you propose. And don't forget, if you have 2 titles issued, you will probably be up for 2 separate lots of council rates.

Why don't you go to your local council office (I'm assuming BCC) and have a chat with the planning staff. I have always found them to be a mine of information and extremely helpful.

Cheers
LynnH

Last edited:
Some friends of ours had a several acre block, one title. Ten lots. They got them split very easily and sold them all for $16,000 each (yes, land for $16k in 2008) and are now in pain from obscene amounts of capital gains tax ...

Thanks for the reply LynnH

Don't wanna give away the suburb but it is in BCC. House covers land of 810m2 that is on 1 title. However, the 1 title is over 2 lots of ~405m2 each. I've rang the council and they say there is only 1 service connected to the property (sewrage, water, electricity, etc). The property has not been subdivided as far as I know :confused: It's just 1 title covering 2 lots.

What I want to do is buy house now and rent out. Then, with holding income helping me out :D, pay for the other service to be connected to the second lot and get seperate titles. When I have saved enough I will then demolish the house and build 2 houses on top. What I wanted to know, before I made an offer, was is it possible to get individual titles and services in place whilst the current house is still occupying both lots.

I was looking at going down this road because of several factors.

1) Still have holding income from rented property instead of supporting bulldozing house, paying for all expences by myself and getting titles issued
2) Pay for the connections and titles in todays dollars not in a few years time when inflation has increased prices
3) Slowly pay for the neccesaries as money comes in from salary

Just wanted to know if it is possible doing it my way. Of course, if the issueing of titles and connection of services is usually quite quick (how fast does it take for this, does anyone know?) then I could just buy house and do it all (issuing of titles and service connections) when I am ready/in a position to build/sell off both titled lots.

CashflowPlus

A bit more information would be helpful. What suburb? What land size? Do you have sewerage/drainage plans for the lot/s? Do you know when the original sub-division was registered?

Basically, it is usually possible to have 2 titles issued. However, there are all sorts of issues/details which may have an impact on the practical and/or financial viability of what you propose. And don't forget, if you have 2 titles issued, you will probably be up for 2 separate lots of council rates.

Why don't you go to your local council office (I'm assuming BCC) and have a chat with the planning staff. I have always found them to be a mine of information and extremely helpful.

Cheers
LynnH

Do you have sewerage/drainage plans for the lot/s? Do you know when the original sub-division was registered?

..... there are all sorts of issues/details which may have an impact on the practical and/or financial viability of what you propose.

CashflowPlus

I understand what you are proposing to do by buying and later adding value - we have done this ourselves. IMHO, it is essential to get accurate costings for what you want to do - so that there are no nasty surprises down the track.

There were a couple of reasons for my questions (above) .....

For example, if you obtain sewerage/drainage plans for the lot/s, you will be able to ascertain whether obtaining 2 titles will involve re-locating drainage, stormwater and/or sewerage pipes. (I have seen one drainage plan where the drain parallels the boundary for a bit then turns and shoots diagonally across the lot! :eek: ) This may prove to be quite an expensive process and may not be financially worthwhile.

Also, if you know when the original subdivision plans were registered, this could prove very handy. The way some lots were divided in years past could be quite 'different', to say the least (do a search for 'widow lot' - I've posted about this in the past)! If the way that the lot has been divided needs to be changed to meet current council requirements, this will probably involve engaging a surveyor, paying fees to council, etc. Again, it may turn out to be an expensive process.

The above are just two examples that spring to mind.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but ..... I really would encourage you to take the time to go and talk to someone at your local BCC office. You will get much more info from visiting council than you will get in a short telephone conversation.

Good luck! :)

Cheers
LynnH

Last edited:
Short answer is yes/no...maybe!

You can get the 2 titles released but only after you move the current house to comply with current council regulations. What I mean is you literally pick up the house & move it. Once this is done, applying for a 2nd title (the now vacant block) is just paper work & a small fee.

Mind you, you've already paid for the house to be moved :eek:

1. If house is over the both lots boundary -shift it.

2. If the frontage is inadequate, shift the house.

3. See planning officer or surveyor or both.

4. Think long and hard if sewer is in a bad place. Councils hate buildings over sewers. You may have to re route it.

I have dismissed a few deals on the basis of inconveniently placed sewer lines.

Think about a boundary realignment. Battleaxe?? One wide frontage and one narrow?

Theres my suggestions but I am not a qualified advisor of course.:)

thanks for the reply guys. Gone and seen council (thanks lynn, they are a wealth of knowledge and very friendly). To sum up

1) property has 2 lots split straight down the middle.
2) There is town water out the front but not on property (good for me)
3) No storm water infrastructure on property
4) there is a sewrage pipe running out the back but this should be fine as it will not interfere with any building
5) direct neighbours have done what I am wanting to do so precedence set and they would have the same sewrage configuration as this property
6) Just found vendor have droped price by 25k. hmmmm, would like it cheaper :D but price should work for a profit

Will ring dial before you dig tomorow just to make sure of other things and if I like what they say will make an offer

Back