Question re: normal building size and cost to build

Hi All,

Am considering building investment house but need guidance on:
(1) what would you consider an "average" 4br house size in m2. I have seen some designs that in my mind are positively tiny but maybe that's just me...
(2) what is the cost per m2 I should be aiming to pay for brick veneer, average standard of finish

Assume flat, level block. Shelf design. No additional site work and full turn key.

Many thanks

I've paid $1200 Sqm in the past but you can spend more or less. Single storey is cheaper than double.

Average size ? You need to check your market for this. You may need to build bigger in a McMansion suburb whereas closer to the city you found get away with a 3 bed single garage home

An average bedroom is about 3.5m x 3.5m so 12.25m2 per bedroom.
So a 4 bed house would be *49m2 just in bedrooms.

Chuck in a lounge that would be 2 times the size of a normal bedroom (24.5m2), a bathroom which would be around 3.5m x 2.5m plus the same for an ensuite (17.5m2) plus a kitchen that would be about the size of a bedroom (12.25m2) and a dinning room which would be about 1.5 times the size of a normal bedroom (18.375m2).

Total = 121.625m2

Off the top of my head that sounds about right. By the time you throw in hallways and an office and maybe a larger kitchen and an extra large room for your master then you might be pushing closer to 160m2.

At my house in it's current state (200m2) it's got 2 kitchens, 2 bathrooms, a lounge, an entrance room, big hallway, and 5 bedrooms (some extra large ones). Once I do the 200m2 extension out the back that will give me an extra bathroom, extend the master, an extra bedroom, a massive kitchen and dinning area, a theatre room, massive games room, and bar.

At the 220m2 removal house I'm about to put on a spare block of mine, that house has 6 bedrooms, 2 small dinning rooms, 1 office, 1 large kitchen, 1 small kitchen, 1 large lounge room, and 2 bathrooms.

I know most of the houses in my area would be between 100m2 and 160m2. I'd say that would be pretty average in all of Brisbane from what I've seen.

Hopefully that gives you a bit of an idea regarding normal house size.

Hi guys. 1st post, new Member. Be kind:D

Moglet in answer to your questions,

"Average" size for a 4 bed in my opinion is somewhere between 180-210sqm. I'm currently doing a 186sqm, 4 bed, 2 bath, dlug, with separate living/media and alfresco on a 375sqm block. This is costing 185k to build. Full turn key. Just add tenants.

Back