Question re: OTT Property Inspection

Hey guys

My friend lives in Beerwah in a rental property. She had a property inspection recently, and she had her washing folded on the lounge suite when he came to do the inspection. The rest of the house was tidy.

He told her to move it and put it in the drawer next time, and issued her with a 10 day notice to rectify! Surely he can't do that can he?

Cheers
QueenBee

I think there might be a little more to the story that maybe you aren't hearing from your friend. I seriously doubt any PM (or landlord for that matter) would issue a notice to rectify about washing not being put away.

We have an IP that is so untidy that when my OH goes up there for a requested maintenance issue he has to climb over boxes and the like to get at whatever it is that needs fixing, and no notice to rectify has ever been issued, but the PM has on occasion asked them to please tidy the place up.

One person's tidy is another persons mess, I guess.

what you described is definitely not enforcable, and could even be considered harassment by a tribunnal.

It definitely sounds like somethings up with that story.

:mad: It is ridiculous, but I believe it.

About 15 years ago, we got a comment on our inspection report because I'd missed a bit of rice water (back when I boiled rice :eek: what was I thinking? :confused:) which was on the dark glass cooktop. It wasn't burned on; the pot had simply boiled over a little the night before, and when wiping the cooktop I'd missed a patch of starchy water about half the size of a 5c piece. It was sharply defined, ie clearly between wipe marks. It was obviously fresh, and was in no way damaging the cooktop.

Not happy, Jan.

OMG, another friend has just put something on her Facebook about her landlord. Must be a day for it.

She just got a letter from her landlord saying she was in breach of her tenancy because she never got around to getting the carpets professionally cleaned before her inspection the other week. She has been advised that she has to have them professionally cleaned by Thursday next week.

I asked her if it was in her tenancy agreement. She said no, she hadn't been able to get them done in time as she was short of money, and that her landlord is a pedantic cow who expects the house to look like a showhome every inspection.

I'm sure that is not a breach either!

:mad: It is ridiculous, but I believe it.

me too :( I chose to use green bin bags as my garden waste container as we had to pay $80 if we wanted a green waste bin for the rental.

I only had one bag at the time and I kept it in the back corner of the yard. I was working when the inspection took place so I rested a rake against the bag and opened it enough for the PM to see it was a bag of raked leaves but sadly he either viewed it from the kitchen window without going outside or he was having a bad day as he wrote in large letters across the inspection report "tenant has bags of rubbish strewn around the backyard".

I was so embarrassed. :eek:

tell your friends to get in touch with their local tenants advocacy service. There are some douchebag LL's out there.

Back