Questions for the experienced landlords?

Hi all,

I was hoping I could get some advice on our situation.

We are a currently renting an apartment and raised a few concerns with the PM about a few repairs that are needed on the property.

1. Firstly, we have very poor tv reception, only getting a few channels and those we do have keep dropping out (digital). We spoke to our neighbour, thinking that it might just be the area we are in but he said their reception was fine (we share the same antenna). He also told me that when he was doing some work in the roof cavity he had noticed that we were not properly connected to the antenna. He also told me that the previous tenant had poor reception but just used those "rabbit ears" antenna instead.

We raised this issue with the landlord (via PM), and his response was:

"The tv socket point in the rear of the unit works but the one in the front
not as good. They have had a electrician out to have a look at it and he
hasn't been able to fix it"

This doesn't really help as the socket in the living room area, where the tv and lounges are, is the one that doesn't work properly.

2. We have two telephone wall sockets in the unit, one in the kitchen and the other in the back(small family) room. We only recently had the phone connected and found out the socket/connection in the back room does not work, and we cant use the one in the kitchen, as the connection in where the microwave sits.

Again this is the response we got from the landlord via PM:

"The telephone points the one in the kitchen is the only one that works and
the other one was placed on the wall but never connected. The previous
tenants used a handsfree system and only needed the base station plugged
into the kitchen point."

Basically when negotiating the lease we were never told that these items did not work, we were under the impression that all these fittings were operational (especially considering that the apartment is only a few years old). If we knew these item weren't working we would have negotiated to have them repaired before taking on the lease.

We look after the place as if it were our own, pay our rent on time, and have not made any other requests. I don't feel that we are being demanding in our requests.

My question is, is the landlord obligated to make these repairs?

Regards,

Nik

As a landlord I'd agree to fix the TV reception but say no to the extra phone point. Why not just move the microwave away from the phone point by 1cm and run a longer lead?

thanks twitch.

It's not possible to physically put the phone anywhere on the bench or in the kitchen, as the microwave is right next to the cooktop.

I'm not sure about the legality of the situation, but you should be able to get an 'extension lead' for the phone. That way you could run the lead to wherever you would like the phone to sit.
It's not an ideal solution, but worth considering.

Either way, I don't think the responses you got were particularly helpful.

Basically when negotiating the lease we were never told that these items did not work, we were under the impression that all these fittings were operational (especially considering that the apartment is only a few years old). If we knew these item weren't working we would have negotiated to have them repaired before taking on the lease.

Regards,

Nik

Nik,

I guess this really highlights the importance of checking the place from top to bottom within the 3 days (or whatever period) you have to confirm the condition report after you move in.... :(

Cheers,

The Y-man

Thanks again for the responses.

Running and extension cable is an option but the last one I would like to take, as it is unsigthly and unsafe. I mean, we're paying good money for almost new apartment, don't really want a cable running across the room, as it would have to sit infront of the drawers as well.

Y-man, we did the inspection report soon after taking possession, and stated that we could not confirm if the tv/phone sockets were working as we had no way of testing them.

We didn't get a tv until 5-6 weeks after taking possession and we only got a phone 3 weeks ago, as we moved in after our wedding.

Regards,

Nik

I think the landlord should have told you about the antenna problem if he knew about it.
I also think he should provide and extension cord for the antenna so you can run it from the working port in the other room if that is the main living room.

As for the phone, as a landlord, I would say you're on your own on that one... sorry.
A few suggestions already made are fine, what's wrong with on the wall or on top of the microwave?
You can also get tiny cable brackets to run the cord along your skirting boards if absolutely necessary.

I mean, we're paying good money for almost new apartment

What's your frame of reference for this statement ??

What's the unit worth ?? What gross rent are you paying ??

The answers to these questions may lay at the heart of the resistance you are encountering with your Landlord.

Of course, no one has suggested yet....and no-one ever does, that you pay to have whatever you wish to be done so that you can enjoy the convenience of whatever you want....right now.....today.

When we rented, we approached all issues with this attitude and everything worked out swell.....never got any resistance from the Landlord....and we got what we desired that very day. Simple. But then, most people don't think like us.

If you're looking for some legal sledgehammer to force your Landlord to pay for all of the little electrical knick knacks that you want thrown in extra for free, then I cannot help.

Nik

The landlord is not obligated to make those repairs. He's not even obligated to provide a phone.

However, it may be worth while for him to have another phone extension and good reception. It will make tenants want to stay longer.

And it's something desirable to you.

Could you offer perhaps to contributes something towards fixing both problems? $100 from you? Split the bill in two?

I think its a reasonable expectation that the TV reception be ok especially if the apartment next door recived good reception and an aerial is clearly visible indicating TV reception. Clearly this was thought of something that should be fixed previously as an electrician was sent to look at the situation in the past. If you were able to rectify it would they refund your bill? I suspect this issue will come up for the landlord at each and every tenancy.

The telephone situation is less clear fom my landlord's perspective. People's phone setups vary enormously. Some tenants only have mobiles. Some use landlines. Some use portable handsets. Some like two lines - second for maybe fax or internet. Given this I think it reasonable for you to set it us as it suits you personally - at your expense. A portable handset might solve the issue and you could then take it with you to your next residence.

Though that may not be useful for an internet connection.

You're right Geoff, it wouldn't help if landline needed for internet. I am not 100% clear what is required in this situation. Wireless? Is there broadband connected? Or is landline in other room sufficient?

Last edited:
A very reasonable response GoAnna....if your time is free.

Maybe this is just a tenant "principle" thing, but I could never understand the economics of things like this. There are literally hundreds of examples just like this, be it TV reception / tap washer / light globe / gardening / the list is endless etc etc etc.

The tenant spends a substantial amount of time

Initially talking and complaining amongst themselves
Agreeing it's just not right
Calling the PM
Writing to the PM
Waiting for a reply
Writing and arguing with the PM and/or Landlord
Arguing the toss amongst themselves about options to force people
Writing to internet forums (connected via the good plug ;) )
Waiting for a response
Writing and arguing with the PM and/or Landlord again

Lots of time, lots of agro, lots of stress and lots of negative emotions

....and what are we talking about here ?? Maybe a hundred bucks for the antennae and who knows, say another hundred for the other phone connection....I dunno....plucking very small numbers out of the air.

As I said at the top, maybe it's solely a principle thing, 'cos the payrate per hour to palm the cost of this off to the Landlord is really really LOW....to say nothing about the grief and stress it causes amongst the tenants.

We valued our time when in the same situation, and hence paid for it to be repaired and got on with far more productive pursuits. Others obviously enjoy being paid bugger all for their time and stress levels.

You're right Geoff, it wouldn't help if landline needed for internet. I am not 100% clear what is required in this situation. Wireless? Is there broadband connected? Or is landline in other room sufficient?

Being an IT nerd ill answer that one. One phone line is sufficient for both broadband and home phone to work. You need something called a "ADSL line splitter". The splitter will plug into your ph and allow both phone and ADSL modem to be then plugged into the splitter.

I think the landlord is obliged to fix both. If they are provided or appear to be provided then they need to be in working order. Should be a pretty simple decision at the trade and tenancy tribunal but then again is it worth getting them offside - probably not.

It is even worse that the managing agent knows about it and didn't disclose it. Who gives a sh*t what the last tenant did... that's irrelevant.

If the sockets don't work they need to be fixed or labelled as broken during your inspection, you pay for the unit as you see it. You don't need to check the taps work within the first three days.

The landlord is lazy anyway, they should make sure their unit is in goo working order.

Cheers
Pulse (wearing tenant hat!)

The landlord is lazy anyway, they should make sure their unit is in goo working order.
Just like the tenant cleanse the unit when vacating the property. NOT:mad:

Then want to come back and clean and fix holes etc when made aware that the bond will be claimed. Off course not wanting to pay rent whilst accessing the unit.:eek:

Personally - there is a operating phone line anything else is up to the tenant. With the aerial there is an obligation to have an outlet that works. As already mentioned how much time and effort are you prepared to exert in relation to the returns obtained or simply walk down the road and buy some rabbit ears

Cheers

reading through a few of the responses, i dunno... if i were a tenant i dont think i'd like to be messing about with wiring and stuff in the roof and walls, so i figure it would be up to the landlord to fix it.

i guess the landlord could refuse and suggest running a great long cable through the place .. but then again, a black cable against a cream or white wall does tend to mark the paint quite nicely ... but if thats what the landlord wants, then i guess its their choice.

As they say online, this thread is useless without pics. ;)

I can't quite imagine a kitchen setup where a great long cable has to be run :confused:

Dazzling, we clearly have very difference views on the rights and responsibilities of tenants and landlords and the most fruitful way to manage tenants’ requests.

As the tenancy lease outlines it is the responsibility of the tenant to pay their rent on time, to maintain the property in good order and report any required repairs.

It is the tenant’s home but it is not their building and they do not have the right or responsibility to make repairs or alterations to the building without the consent of the landlord.

These are the facts of the tenancy agreements as I understand them.

In my residential housing business I aim to create good will with my residents by treating them with respect and consideration. My tenants are my customers and as such are an essential part of my business. In fact I find them to be one of the most pleasurable parts of my business but that is not relevant here.

When I respond to requests from my tenants I do so as follows:

Essential – responded to by PM

Trivial – responded to by PM

My time and peace of mind is invaluable

Other – I take into account the reasonableness of the request, the cost of the request and the likely effect upon my net profit. At times this may mean paying for a small, but not unreasonable, request resulting in higher retention of tenants, a happier and more motivated PM, higher rents, and lower vacancy rates.

I am not speaking theoretically. This is the manner in which I have run my business since 1990 and my properties outperform others in the same agency in the same area.

I think that taking a combative approach with tenants, treating them with distain and lack of respect does neither ourselves as human beings, or my bottom line as a business, any good.

My time is too precious to waste on such a negative focus.

A very reasonable response GoAnna....if your time is free.

Maybe this is just a tenant "principle" thing, but I could never understand the economics of things like this. There are literally hundreds of examples just like this, be it TV reception / tap washer / light globe / gardening / the list is endless etc etc etc.

The tenant spends a substantial amount of time

Initially talking and complaining amongst themselves
Agreeing it's just not right
Calling the PM
Writing to the PM
Waiting for a reply
Writing and arguing with the PM and/or Landlord
Arguing the toss amongst themselves about options to force people
Writing to internet forums (connected via the good plug ;) )
Waiting for a response
Writing and arguing with the PM and/or Landlord again

Lots of time, lots of agro, lots of stress and lots of negative emotions

....and what are we talking about here ?? Maybe a hundred bucks for the antennae and who knows, say another hundred for the other phone connection....I dunno....plucking very small numbers out of the air.

As I said at the top, maybe it's solely a principle thing, 'cos the payrate per hour to palm the cost of this off to the Landlord is really really LOW....to say nothing about the grief and stress it causes amongst the tenants.

We valued our time when in the same situation, and hence paid for it to be repaired and got on with far more productive pursuits. Others obviously enjoy being paid bugger all for their time and stress levels.

Back