Quick question regarding floor space ratio

Hi all.

Well as some may know i plan to build a second property on the back of my current IP. The block size after subdivision will be 380 sqm for the new dwelling. For this reason i must build it as a dual occ first and then subdivide according to council policy. Reason being is smallest block council allows is 500 sqm but after house is built this is reduces to 350.So all is good so far.

Also when it comes to floor space ratio maximums. the rules are .5 to 1 for a normal block or .4 to one for dual occ.

Now i am finalising a single story house design now.This design come in just under the .4 to 1 maximum. But due to the many variations to make there standard design fit. The price has come in a fair bit higher. the price is now the same as one of there bigger( 40 sqms bigger) two story designs which fits on the block with no variations so no worries. problem being the extra size brings it up to the .5 to 1 limit.

my argument is the block WILL be subdivided. In fact it will be all part of the one initial DA so i should be able to go up to the .5 to 1 limit.

My question is has anyone else run into something similar and if so did they have any success with the council ???

cheers.

In the parramatta council area your DA comes prior to subdivision approval. After the property is built and complete you apply to the lands and titles for sub - approval.

I'd suggest checking to see if you can subdivide first then gain DA approval to build the large property if and only if the larger property is a better fit for your bang for the buck? Not point going bigger if you make less.

In the parramatta council area your DA comes prior to subdivision approval. After the property is built and complete you apply to the lands and titles for sub - approval.

I'd suggest checking to see if you can subdivide first then gain DA approval to build the large property if and only if the larger property is a better fit for your bang for the buck? Not point going bigger if you make less.

The bigger property actually comes in cheaper:confused:. These are some rough figures

Cheap house A

$100,000 Basic house 150 sqm
$8,000 Add double garage
$10,000 Extra floor space due to necessity. Had to move a room.
$4,500 Ensuite
$1,500 Odd bits
$35,000 Site costs and basix

$159,000 Total

Better house B

$130,000 Basic house 190 sqm
$0 Double garage included
$0 No floor space shuffle required
$0 Ensuite included
$0 Odd bits included
$18,000 Basix only free site cost due to higher level home.

$148,000 Total

Thats an $11,000 saving. See why i want to push the issue with the council. The fact is after subdivision it meets the required .5 to 1 ratio.They should OK it but i bet i will be unpleasently suprised.

Back