Quick Vegetation Clearing Question

Clearing Remnant Vegetation- Experiences?

• Total voters
Anyone had any experience clearing Remnant Vegetation to put in house blocks?
How hard is it?

Dealing with Department of Environment and Resource Management (DERM) and any other associated departments?

Experiences good or bad to share?

Specifically any in Moreton Bay Regional Council?

No experiences, but I have a GIS coverage of the vegetation types and can tell you if it is endangered, of concern etc- just send me the site coordinates (decimal degrees or easting/northing are good) and I will post the info.

Grab them from Google Earth- first change your coordinate system to UTM (Tools > Options > Show Lat/Long box and tick 'Universal Transverse Mercator'. Then Add > Placemark- drag the placemark (yellow icon on your screen) to your site. The coordinates will be displayed in the box. Paste them here!

Ok. I don't work for DERM and I'm not a planner so I don't know how they make their decisions. It looks as though a lot of the land surrounding your block has already been cleared and this is shown in the veg maps. The veg map that I have used here was made in 2006 and is the most recent version available from DERM.

I can tell you that most of the site of your block is currently classified as remnant vegetation with status 'Not of Concern'. The forest is Eucalypt forest 12.9-10.17 on sedimentary rock with >10,000 ha remaining in this class. The information for this forest type can be found here: http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/wildlife...gional_ecosystems/details.php?reid=12.9-10.17

90m to the North East of the location that you sent me has vegetation status 'Of concern- Dominant' (is this part of your block?). The forest is a Eucalypt forest 12.3.11 on alluvial plains. There are several wetland trees that exist within the group (eg Melaleuca Quinquenervia, which lives at the fringe of water bodies)- might be boggy in places. The information for this forest type can be found here: http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/wildlife.../regional_ecosystems/details.php?reid=12.3.11

I've made a KML (Google Earth file) so that you can see the different vegetation types on your Google Earth map but I can't attach it on Somersoft, so can you please PM me your email address and I will send it to you?

I've attached a jpeg of the area for a general overview, but the Google Earth one is best.

Attachments

• JTKumnick.jpg
    JTKumnick.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 90
Thanks, that detail is great. Im trying to develop the land in a way that maintains the "feel" of the original area, that involves having plenty of trees and habitat, but at the same time allows a family of humans to live well too.

I cant quite tell from the jpg where my block falls, but i will try the google earth file when it comes through.

If i can return the favour let me know, i have rp data access which is probably the best i can offer. You have my email anyway so just let me know.

Ok. I don't work for DERM and I'm not a planner so I don't know how they make their decisions. It looks as though a lot of the land surrounding your block has already been cleared and this is shown in the veg maps. The veg map that I have used here was made in 2006 and is the most recent version available from DERM.

I can tell you that most of the site of your block is currently classified as remnant vegetation with status 'Not of Concern'. The forest is Eucalypt forest 12.9-10.17 on sedimentary rock with >10,000 ha remaining in this class. The information for this forest type can be found here: http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/wildlife...gional_ecosystems/details.php?reid=12.9-10.17

90m to the North East of the location that you sent me has vegetation status 'Of concern- Dominant' (is this part of your block?). The forest is a Eucalypt forest 12.3.11 on alluvial plains. There are several wetland trees that exist within the group (eg Melaleuca Quinquenervia, which lives at the fringe of water bodies)- might be boggy in places. The information for this forest type can be found here: http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/wildlife.../regional_ecosystems/details.php?reid=12.3.11

I've made a KML (Google Earth file) so that you can see the different vegetation types on your Google Earth map but I can't attach it on Somersoft, so can you please PM me your email address and I will send it to you?

I've attached a jpeg of the area for a general overview, but the Google Earth one is best.

Ok I have figured out where the block sits relative to the jpg. The "of concern" remnant vegetation is on the next block thankfully, all ours is "not of concern"....

Attachments

• derm map.jpg
    derm map.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 81
Back