Quickest way to work in peak - 30km trip - Melb Western burbs to CBD

Following on from our recent cyclists vs drivers thread, Wyndam city council held a race, quickest way to work - car vs train vs bike vs boat etc.

''I didn't think that would happen,'' said cyclist Joe Patamisi, who made it to Federation Square from Tarneit in just over an hour.

''It's probably a bit embarrassing that we can have somebody [on a bike] beating public transport or even a car into town over 30 kilometres.''

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/w...-cyclists-are-on-a-winner-20140402-35yw9.html

Loving the comments:

Now imagine if just a fraction of the roads budget were directed to making the bike infrastructure decent and safe. Even more cyclist would leave their car at home. This would improve congestion on the roads so canceling the need for hugely expensive and pointless road expansion.

Now, for a bit of spice. Even the most blue blooded Liberal voter would have to agree with this comment:

It's no surprise to anyone who takes even a passing interest in these matters. It's been known for decades that bikes and mixed mode public transport are much more efficient, and much cheaper than trying to use private motor vehicles to move masses of people.

The big surprise is why haven't successive governments funded better public transport and bicycle infrastructure, and why they have funded enormous and inherently inefficient road projects.

Only the Greens have a clear vision for what is really needed to fix the transport issues in Victoria. You have a chance to change the way we do things around here this election - take it!

Prioritise public transport to take the pressure off our congested roads and improve our quality of life.

Invest in public transport and cycling instead of more tollways. This will reduce traffic congestion, make our cities more liveable and reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and save billions of dollars in lost revenue due to congestion.

Fund Melbourne Metro Rail, and invest in Doncaster Rail, extending rail to Mernda, and improving signalling to get up to twice as many trains safely into Melbourne?s train network.
Fund East-West light rail connections across inner Melbourne, and take the next steps to an Airport Rail Link.

Cut local pollution and make our streets safer by funding the Westgate Ramps Truck bypass, which will get trucks off residential streets in western Melbourne.

Invest $55 million in Victoria to make cycling safer and our city healthier.

I just don't get it... Bike paths are cheaper to build and maintain the roads. They keep people fit and healthier (therefore reducing strain on public health system). They keep cars of the road and help the environment. Why don't the build more and better bike paths?? It's just crazy, there are so many upsides to it. There a huge number of drivers who would love to ride to work if it was safer.

I just don't get it... Bike paths are cheaper to build and maintain the roads. They keep people fit and healthier (therefore reducing strain on public health system). They keep cars of the road and help the environment. Why don't the build more and better bike paths?? It's just crazy, there are so many upsides to it. There a huge number of drivers who would love to ride to work if it was safer.

Tell me about it... and why does our state government slash our bike budget to ZERO?

Something extremely stupid or dodgy is going on there.

Tell me about it... and why does our state government slash our bike budget to ZERO?

Something extremely stupid or dodgy is going on there.

Why didn't they include an example of Dad or Mum dropping the kids off at out of hours school care as part of their trip?

Tony Abbot quote october 2008. Has he made any cycling comments since the election?

http://m.theaustralian.com.au/opinion/pedal-power-the-way-to-be-green/story-e6frg6zo-1111117782942

It's easy to understand Australians' love affair with their car. A car goes to your destination when you want it to. By comparison, using public transport usually means putting yourself out in some way. Australia's relatively low-density cities are unlikely to develop public transport systems to match the Paris Metro or London's Tube.

But jump on a bike and not only can you flaunt your social conscience but you set the destination and the timetable. The bike is a freedom machine for people who'd rather not pay for petrol and like being fitter than their contemporaries. The disdain motorists express for cyclists is secret envy.

What's really needed is better bike infrastructure. Many councils mark bike lanes on suitable roads. It should be a planning requirement that all new main roads have enough width to create a shoulder for bikes. This makes more sense than separate bike tracks, which often have worse gradients.

With these findings and current government actions one can reasonably assume there is some kind of under the table kickback, donation or other deal going on with the developers and the political party.

I've never known much about the East-West protest action but I can start to see why some are so passionate about it.

Indeed, in London, bike commuting has increased 83 per cent in the past six years, no doubt helped by the congestion charge that Johnson's predecessor levied on cars entering the city centre.
They really need to bring in the congestion charge to all capital cities here..

Back