QUIZ: Weakest Link

Weakest Link

The Weakest Link......

Here is a very simple little test comprising of four questions to determine the level of your intellect. Your replies must be spontaneous and immediate, with no deliberating or wasting time. And no cheating.

Marks, set....GO!!!

1: You are competing in a race, and overtake the runner lying in second place. In which position are you now?

Answer: If you answered that you're now coming first then you're completely wrong. You overtook the second runner and took their place, therefore you're coming second.

For the next question try not to be so dim.

2 : If you overtake the last runner, what position are you now in?

Answer: If you answered second-last, once again you're completely wrong. Think about it...How can you over take the person coming last? If you're behind them then they can't be last. The answer is impossible!! It would appear that thinking is not one of your strong points. You would make a good weak link!!!

Anyway, here's another to try, don't take any notes or use a calculator, and remember your replies must be instantaneous. Take heart!! (that was the dictionary's suggestion)

3 : Take 1000. Add 40. Add another 1000. Add 30. 1000 again. Plus 20. Plus 1000. And plus 10. What is the total ?

Answer: 5000??? Wrong again!!!! The correct answer is 4100. Try again with a good calculator.

Today is clearly not your day!! Although you should manage to get the last question right...

4 : Marie's father has five daughters:
1. Chacha
2. Cheche
3. Chichi
4. Chocho
5. ????

Question: What is the fifth daughter's name?
Think quickly...you'll find the answer below...

Answer: Chuchu??? WRONG! It's obviously Marie! Read the question properly!

You are clearly the weakest link....GOODBYE

Hmmm...

The only one I got APARRENTLY incorrect was #2.

2 : If you overtake the last runner, what position are you now in?

My answer was that you are in first, on a circuitous course, and you have lapped them.

Am I wrong?

asy :D

G'day Prunster,

Thanks !! I got a good chuckle out of that lot (mainly at myself for overlooking the obvious!!) :)

Regards,

Originally posted by asy
Hmmm...

The only one I got APARRENTLY incorrect was #2.

My answer was that you are in first, on a circuitous course, and you have lapped them.

Am I wrong?

Sorry asy,

You may be wrong. The question didn't say what position you were in, just that you overtook the last runner.
- You're still in the same position which you were in before you overtook them, but it may not be first place.

These questions are in the 25 year old vintage that I can recall. I figured they may still exercise the brain for some of the younger folks on this forum.

Asy, if you found the original questions somewhat easy, you should be able to blitz these ones. :D

Exercise of the brain is as important as exercise of the muscles. As we grow older, it's important that we keep mentally alert. The saying: "If you don't use it, you will lose it" also applies to the brain, so.........

Below is a very private way to gage your loss or non-loss of intelligence. So take the following test presented here and determine if you are losing it or are still a MENSA candidate.

OK, relax, clears your mind and....... begin.

1. What do you put in a toaster?

The answer is bread. If you said "toast", then give up now and go do something else. Try not to hurt yourself. If you said, "Bread", go to question 2.

2. Say "silk" five times. Now spell "silk". What do cows drink?

Answer: Cows drink water. If you said "milk", please do not attempt the next question. Your brain is obviously overstressed and may even overheat. It may be that you need to content yourself with reading something more appropriate such as "Children's World". If you said, "Water" then proceed to question three.

3. If a red house is made from red bricks and a blue house is made from blue bricks and a pink house is made from pink bricks and a black house is made from black bricks, what is a greenhouse made from?

Answer: Greenhouses are made from glass. If you said "green bricks", what the heck are you still doing here reading these questions????? Dang.....
If you said "glass", then go on to question four.

4. Twenty years ago, a plane is; flying at 20,000 feet over Germany.
If you will recall, Germany at the time was politically divided into West Germany and East Germany. Anyway, during the flight, TWO of the engines fail. The pilot, realizing that the last remaining engine is also failing, decides on a crash landing procedure.
Unfortunately the engine fails before he has time and the plane crashes smack in the middle of "no man's land" between East Germany and West Germany. Where would you bury the survivors - East Germany or West Germany or in "no man's land"?

Answer: You don't, of course, bury survivors. If you said ANYTHING else, you are a real dunce and you must NEVER try to rescue anyone from a plane crash. Your efforts would not be appreciated. ...... If you said, "Don't bury the survivors" then proceed to the next question.

5. If the hour hand on a clock moves 1/60th of a degree every minute then how many degrees will the hour hand move in one hour?

Answer: One degree. If you said "360 degrees" or anything other than "one degree", you are to be congratulated on getting this far, but you are obviously out of your league. Turn your pencil in and exit the room.
Everyone else proceed to the final question.

6. Without using a calculator - You are driving a bus from London to Milford Haven in Wales. In London, 17 people get on the bus. In Reading, six people get off the bus and nine people get on. In Swindon, two people get off and four get on. In Cardiff, 11 people get off and 16 people get on. In Swansea, three people get off and five people get on. In Carmathen, six people get off and three get on. You then arrive at Milford Haven. What was the name of the bus driver?

Answer: Oh, for heaven sake! It was YOU, you dummy. Read the first line!!! :rolleyes:

Nearly got me on the last one!!! :D

I worked out all the numbers, then got to the end and went, shit, I didn't see a name...
Read it again, then realised it said "YOU" !!!

Well done!!!

Post more!!

Please!!!

Originally posted by prunster
5. If the hour hand on a clock moves 1/60th of a degree every minute then how many degrees will the hour hand move in one hour?

Answer: One degree. If you said "360 degrees" or anything other than "one degree", you are to be congratulated on getting this far, but you are obviously out of your league. Turn your pencil in and exit the room.

It must be a vary strange clock. You answer is correct given the question, but on most clocks the hour hand actaully moves 30 degrees in an hour.

I got the same answer as you PT_Bear.

I wonder if they were talking about a trick clock that goes backwards. ;)

30 degrees is the logical answer though.

G'day prunster & PT_Bear

I would suggest that you note the " 1/60th " of a degree per minute....

60 minutes to the hour therefore 60 times 1/60th is 60/60 which is 1 degree.....

Pedro

Originally posted by pjb89
G'day prunster & PT_Bear

I would suggest that you note the " 1/60th " of a degree per minute....

60 minutes to the hour therefore 60 times 1/60th is 60/60 which is 1 degree.....

Pedro

If we go by that scenerio, does this mean that a clock face only has 12 degress on it?

Alrighty you lot, here are some Gotchas to think about. Read the questions carefully. You have been warned.

1. Which is greater, the number of grooves on one side of a vinyl record (if you can remember them!) or the number of days in the year?

If you answered that there were more than one groove in a record, then you are too young to be reading this forum.
Days in the year is correct as there is only one groove per side of a vinyl record!

We will now try a simpler question for you young ones.

2. Name an ancient invention, which is still used in some parts of the world today, that allows people to see through walls.

If you answered a window then you are cerntainly thinking outside the square. Don't let the side down with the next question though.

3. My neighbour recently moved in down the road and has five children. Unusually, half of the children are girls. How can this be?

Every young neibours dream is to live next to this type of neighbour as they are all girls.

Read the next question carefully.

4. If there are forty cups on the table and one cup breaks, how many tea cups are left?

If you read the question properly as I suggested, then you would have come up with 3; we started with 4 tea cups (forty cups) and one broke.

If that was too tough, thry this one and remember to read the question.

5. Which letter is last in the alphabet?

Did you take my advise. If you answered T; t is the last letter in the A-L-P-H-A-B-E-T, then you are not a candidate for the Weakest Link.

Number 4 is an oral question. When you write it down, it doesn't really work.

Like, "A man had twenty sick sheep and one died, how many did he have left?"

Or the whale who threw an octopus to the dolphin, and said, "Here's the sick squid I owe you".

On the number of grooves on a record- there was a record attached to a Mad Magazine twenty something years ago.

It had four grooves each side. Each groove started out the same. You didn't know which one you had until it came to the punch line.

Originally posted by geoffw
Number 4 is an oral question. When you write it down, it doesn't really work.

It could be interpreted like that Geoff but I prefer to put it down to my bad spelling and the lack of a spell checker in this facility.

Either way, I thought it was a clever play on words. ;)

Q1. How do you put a giraffe into a refrigerator?

Correct Answer:
Open the refrigerator, put in the giraffe and close the door.

This question tests whether you tend to do simple things in an overly complicated way.

Q2. How do you put an elephant into a refrigerator?

Wrong Answer:
Open the refrigerator, put in the elephant and close the refrigerator.

Correct Answer:
Open the refrigerator, take out the giraffe, put in the elephant and close the door.

This tests your ability to think through the repercussions of your actions.

Q3. The Lion King is hosting an animal conference. All the animals attend, except one. Which animal does not attend?

Correct Answer:

The elephant, since it is still in the refrigerator.
This tests your memory.

OK, even if you did not answer the first three questions correctly, you still have one more chance to show your abilities.

Q4. There is a river you must cross, but it is inhabited by crocodiles. How do you manage it?

Correct Answer:
You swim across. All of the crocodiles are attending the Animal Meeting!

This tests whether you learn quickly from your mistakes.

According to Andersen Consulting Worldwide, around 90% of the professionals they tested got all questions wrong. But many pre-schoolers got several correct answers. Andersen Consulting says this conclusively disproves the theory that most professionals have the brains of a four year old.

Regards,

Steve
:D

For the mathematicians:

a = b
aa = ab
aa - bb = ab - bb
(a + b)(a - b) = b(a - b)
a + b = b
a + a = a
2a = a
2 = 1