QUIZ: Weakest Link2 : WHAT, You want more???????????

Weakest Link2 : WHAT, You want more???????????

Nine dots are arranged in a three by three square. Connect each of the nine dots using only four straight lines and without lifting your pen from the paper.

Arrange the numbers 1 through 9 on a tic tac toe board such that the numbers in each row, column, and diagonal add up to 15.

Punctuate the following so it makes sense:

"That that is is that that is not is not is not that it it is"

What word begins with 'h', ends with 'n', contains six letters, and contains eight words besides itself without transposing a single letter?

"Oh fudge!" said Zack! "I've forgotten my locker combination! Now I'm going to be late for class!"
"Relax," said Kyle. "What do you remember about it?"
"Well, as you know, each of the three numbers of my combination can be anywhere between 1 and 39 inclusive. I do remember each one was different and the sum of the first two numbers was 42."
"Okay, go on."
"And the last two numbers differed by only two. Oh yes, and all three numbers were primes."
"Well Zack, it just so happens that I actually remember your combination. But since you think you're so smart, I'll only give you one hint. If you take the three numbers of your combination and multiply them together, the last digit of the product will be...." And Kyle whispered something in his ear.
With that, Zack was able to deduce his combination and open his locker.
What was his combination?

Three people check into a hotel. They pay $30 to the manager and go to their room. The manager finds out that the room rate is $25 and gives $5 to the bellboy to return. On the way to the room the bellboy reasons that $5 would be difficult to share among three people so he pockets $2 and gives $1 to each person. Now each person paid $10 and got back $1. So they paid $9 each, totalling $27. The bellboy has $2, totalling $29. Where is the remaining dollar?

For the mensa people!

Clue: i o h l m k n j

Answer is a five letter word: _ _ _ _ _

Below you will find 10 well-known seven letter words, with only their endings remaining. Can you determine the words?
....igy
....aoh
....erg
....ynx
....lth
....mox
....ovy
....esh
....awe
....ipt

Clue: CLOUD / TH

Answer - - - - - - - - - - - - (a 12 letter word)

Think of a number from 1 to 100.
Double this number.
Add 8.
Multiply by 9 (carefully!).
Add the digits together, continue to do this until you have a single digit number. For example, 542 >> 11 >> 2
Subtract 5.
Determine which letter of the alphabet your number relates to, A=1, B=2, etc
Think of a country which STARTS with this letter
Make a note of the LAST letter of this country.
Think of an animal which STARTS with this letter.
Make a note of the LAST letter of this animal.
Think of a colour which STARTS with this letter.

ANSWER at end of post:

What about these: (by logical assumption)

In the middle of the ocean is a yacht. Several corpses are floating in the water nearby???

A woman has incontrovertible proof in court that her husband was murdered by her sister. The judge declares, "This is the strangest case I've ever seen. Though it's a cut-and-dried case, this woman cannot be punished???

A hunter aimed his gun carefully and fired. Seconds later, he realized his mistake. Minutes later, he was dead.???

A man is dead in a puddle of blood and water on the floor of an otherwise empty locked room.???

An ordinary American citizen, with no passport, visits over thirty foreign countries in one day. He is welcomed in each country and leaves each one of his own accord.???

Adults are holding children, waiting their turn. The children are handed (one at a time, usually) to a man, who holds them while a woman shoots them. If the child is crying, the man tries to stop the crying before the child is shot.???

A man pushes a car up to a hotel and tells the owner he's bankrupt.???

Three men are led into a room blindfolded. They are told that either a red or green hat will be placed on each of their heads. A green hat is placed on each man's head. The blindfolds are removed. The men can see each of the others hats, but not their own. They are asked to raise a hand if they can see a green hat. All three raise a hand. They are told to leave the room as soon as they have worked out the colour of their own hat.

Man number 3 who is more astute than the other two leaves the room after a few minutes.

HOW did he logically work out the colour of his hat.

There are three light switches in the off position outside of a sealed room.
Only one of the switches turns the light inside the room on.
You have 5 minutes to work out which switch it is, WITHOUT peering in the room. (You CANNOT see light under the door or any tricks like that!)

After the 5 minutes you may enter the room and you must say which of the three switches it is.

If you are correct you get to live!

Which switch is it??
Careful please, I would hate to lose any friends!:D

Have fun

Regards,

Steve

ANSWER to 10
Does that orange eating kangaroo live in Denmark!

this was a real test! Thanks Steve!!

1 Nine dots are arranged in a three by three square. Connect each of the nine dots using only four straight lines and without lifting your pen from the paper.

0----0----0---
|.\............. /
|...\.........../
|........\./....
|......../.\....
| / ..........\
|/...............\

gosh that was hard to do on computer!! (knew the answer, though, have done this one b4)

Arrange the numbers 1 through 9 on a tic tac toe board such that the numbers in each row, column, and diagonal add up to 15.

6 1 8
7 5 3
2 9 4

Once you realise that the lynch pin is the 5, the rest is easy. :)

Punctuate the following so it makes sense:

"That that is is that that is not is not is not that it it is"

That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is not that it? It is!

What word begins with 'h', ends with 'n', contains six letters, and contains eight words besides itself without transposing a single letter?

HEREIN
he
her
here
..ere
....re
....rein
.......I
.......in

"Oh fudge!" said Zack! "I've forgotten my locker combination! Now I'm going to be late for class!"
"Well, as you know, each of the three numbers of my combination can be anywhere between 1 and 39 inclusive. I do remember each one was different and the sum of the first two numbers was 42."
"Okay, go on."
"And the last two numbers differed by only two. Oh yes, and all three numbers were primes."
"Well Zack, it just so happens that I actually remember your combination. But since you think you're so smart, I'll only give you one hint. If you take the three numbers of your combination and multiply them together, the last digit of the product will be...." And Kyle whispered something in his ear.

my head hurts and I bet I can pick the lock faster than you can figure out the combination..... ;)

Three people check into a hotel. They pay $30 to the manager and go to their room. The manager finds out that the room rate is $25 and gives $5 to the bellboy to return. On the way to the room the bellboy reasons that $5 would be difficult to share among three people so he pockets $2 and gives $1 to each person. Now each person paid $10 and got back $1. So they paid $9 each, totalling $27. The bellboy has $2, totalling $29. Where is the remaining dollar?

they didn't pay $9 each, they paid $8.33 each........$25
They got $1 each back...............................................$3
Bellboy got $2............................................................$2
..............................................................total:..........$30

For the mensa people!

Ok, these are the letters between H and O, scrambled,

Hmmm... needs more thinking... Look for another post later... hehe

Below you will find 10 well-known seven letter words, with only their endings remaining. Can you determine the words?
....igy
....aoh
....erg
....ynx
....lth
....mox
....ovy
....esh
....awe
....ipt

prodigy
pharaoh
iceberg
pharynx
stealth
flummox
anchovy
refresh
overawe
receipt

Clue: CLOUD / TH

Answer - - - - - - - - - - - - (a 12 letter word)

Thundercloud

(TH under Cloud)

Think of a number from 1 to 100.
Double this number.
Add 8.
Multiply by 9 (carefully!).
Add the digits together, continue to do this until you have a single digit number. For example, 542 >> 11 >> 2
Subtract 5.
Determine which letter of the alphabet your number relates to, A=1, B=2, etc
Think of a country which STARTS with this letter
Make a note of the LAST letter of this country.
Think of an animal which STARTS with this letter.
Make a note of the LAST letter of this animal.
Think of a colour which STARTS with this letter.

Number is 4
country is Dubai
animal is impala
colour is aquamarine?

What about these: (by logical assumption)

In the middle of the ocean is a yacht. Several corpses are floating in the water nearby???

the yacht is the rescue crew?
Or the corpses are fish (it doesn't say they are human corpses)

A woman has incontrovertible proof in court that her husband was murdered by her sister. The judge declares, "This is the strangest case I've ever seen. Though it's a cut-and-dried case, this woman cannot be punished???

the sister is already dead?
or the sister has already been tried and found not guilty (double jeopardy)

A hunter aimed his gun carefully and fired. Seconds later, he realized his mistake. Minutes later, he was dead.???

Gun is too small a calibre or only injures the animal, and the animal turns on the hunter?

(Actually, I have heard this one before, and I know the 'correct answer' but this is what I said before I new the right answer)

A man is dead in a puddle of blood and water on the floor of an otherwise empty locked room.???

the man is a butcher and slipped whilst cleaning the boning room?
Or he killed himself with an ice knife, which melted...

An ordinary American citizen, with no passport, visits over thirty foreign countries in one day. He is welcomed in each country and leaves each one of his own accord.???

are they embassies?

Adults are holding children, waiting their turn. The children are handed (one at a time, usually) to a man, who holds them while a woman shoots them. If the child is crying, the man tries to stop the crying before the child is shot.???

children are being immunised

car has run out of petrol, and he can't afford to fill it?
either that, or he is playing monopoly...

Three men are led into a room blindfolded. They are told that either a red or green hat will be placed on each of their heads. A green hat is placed on each man's head. The blindfolds are removed. The men can see each of the others hats, but not their own. They are asked to raise a hand if they can see a green hat. All three raise a hand. They are told to leave the room as soon as they have worked out the colour of their own hat.

Man number 3 who is more astute than the other two leaves the room after a few minutes.

man # 3 is colourblind and put his hand up as a guess... neither of the other two called him a liar, thus his hat must be green.

You have 5 minutes to work out which switch it is, WITHOUT peering in the room. (You CANNOT see light under the door or any tricks like that!)

After the 5 minutes you may enter the room and you must say which of the three switches it is.

Which switch is it??
Careful please, I would hate to lose any friends!:D

The cat was dead all the time!

Well? how badly did I do??

THANKS STEVE!!!

asy :D

Which switch is it??
Careful please, I would hate to lose any friends

Answer

Switches A B and C

Turn on A and leave on for a few minutes. Turn it off then turn on B and immediately leave the room and check the light.

If the light is on then B was the switch.
If the light is off and warm then A was the switch.
If the light is off and cold then C is the fella.

He could see the other fellas had red hats on therefore the green one they saw was his?

"Okay, go on."

Solution:-

If Kyle whispered 3, then it is 31, 11, 13
If Kyle whispered 5, then it is 37, 5, 7
If Kyle whispered 7, then it is 29, 13, 11
If Kyle whispered 9, then it is 23, 19, 17

That's it - there are no other possibilities (unless I'm past my prime ;)

Regards,

hehehe

I love these things, thanks Steve.
Particularly when you find one you haven't seen before.

Well done asy for first cab off the rank. My brief, and selected answers only follow:

5. Pass me the panadol asy.
10. Very clever... the number _must_ be four, because all multiples of 18 ( x doubled *9 =18) when the digits are added together will eventually equal 9. 9-5=4
And while Denmark might be the most common answer, what about Djibouti, Dominica, not to mention the various Democratic Republics of...
:) I'll leave the colours and animals to others, I never was very good at interior design. :)

Siamese twins?

Gunman in Swiss Alps - Avalanche country?

I like the ice knife idea. Of course... it doesn't say it was locked from the inside!

I'm picking New York, United Nations... Hmmm?

He can have the car, I always choose the ship myself.

arrghh. I know this intuitively, but putting it on paper...... :)
Astute man realises that if the others could see his hat was red, they would have acted differently, and one of them would have got out within 30 seconds. That they haven't he reasons he is green.
It's like there's three diferent time frames here. Instantly - hands go up. Everyone can see a green hat.
But now astute man thinks:
If I'm red, then from Bozo and Clown's positions they would see:
Bozo - 1 red 1 green. Clown. 1 red 1 green.
Then Bozo should have reasoned that because Clown could see a green that meant that he(Bozo) must have been a green.

but they didn't, so Astute man infers that he cannot have a red hat, walks out and declares himself to be green.
(Hoping that B & C are better logicians than their names suggest)

13. This is good. reminds me of a puzzle where you have to go through one door of three. One = freedom, 2 - death, and two guards to help you make your choice. One of the guards will answer one qn only, but you know that one guard always lies, and one guard always tells the truth. But you don't know which.
How do you choose?
Which is all a long way of saying I don't have a clue which switch to choose. hmmm

Steve, thanks for some great puzzles.

(Good grief... did I say brief above?)
Luke

i o what...?

Hmmm

I was thinking
"Interest only home loans makes keeping..."
then I ran out of steam. :) (Well it is a property forum:D )

Then I noticed that they make a nice little cluster on the keyboard.

Luke
not even close...

WINNERS LIST

Asy

Asy

Asy

Asy

Shock horror, could Les be past his prime??
???????????? a single answer required????????????????

Asy

Grief, has Asy missed ANOTHER chemistry puzzle?!!
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Asy

Asy

Only obstructionists come up with aquamarine

a) ??????????????
b) Luke- Siamese twins
c) Luke - avalanche
d) Asy – Iceknife
e) Asy - embassies
f) ??????????????????
g) Asy – monopoly

Luke (* well done!*)

Simon

SO FORUM MEMBERS:

I await answers for:

"Okay, go on."

For the mensa people!

a) In the middle of the ocean is a yacht. Several corpses are floating in the water nearby???

f) Adults are holding children, waiting their turn. The children are handed (one at a time, usually) to a man, who holds them while a woman shoots them. If the child is crying, the man tries to stop the crying before the child is shot.???

Well done, Asy, Simon and Luke.

Les is so close, but which combination??

Re: WINNERS LIST

10 Only obstructionists come up with aquamarine

SO FORUM MEMBERS:

I await answers for:

"Okay, go on."

I'll leave this one to Les...

For the mensa people!

Hmmm, it is a chemistry based question... Is it Boron? This is the only single letter symbol element with 5 letters in it's name, also atomic number 5...

a) In the middle of the ocean is a yacht. Several corpses are floating in the water nearby???

they all jumped off and couldn't get back on and drowned?? No ladder?

f) Adults are holding children, waiting their turn. The children are handed (one at a time, usually) to a man, who holds them while a woman shoots them. If the child is crying, the man tries to stop the crying before the child is shot.???

I said immunisation, is that not correct?

Well done, Asy, Simon and Luke.

Thanks, eagerly awaiting another...

nearly there

"Okay, go on."

STILL WAITING FOR LES

For the mensa people!

NO, NOT BORON
Tut tut Asy! (And you were sooooo close!)

they all jumped off and couldn't get back on and drowned?? No ladder?

YES YES YES another one to Asy

I said immunisation, is that not correct?
Okay, but actually it was a photo shoot.

A bit and a half to Asy

So #'s 5 and 7 to go.

Regards,

Steve

Last edited:
Answer to 5 is 31,11,13 (Kyle had whispered 3)

Led me a bit of a dance, Steve, but got there in the end - maybe I'm not past my prime after all ....... It was a good one !!!

Regards,

Yeeha BRILLIANT Les!

Definitely not past your prime, besides it was your original suggestion.

We all thought you mighta been obfuscating!

Regards,

Steve ;)

PS: Guess we are all moderately shocked, could this possibly mean that we have stumped Asy??
And on a chemistry puzzle to boot :confused:

And on a chemistry puzzle to boot

Ah, but How Much Chemistry? If I were to guess, there might only be one word in the string that is "chemistry" related.

Mensa tests tend to deal with obvious strings displayed in a "not so obvious" manner:-

e.g. what is the next letter in this string -

O T T F F S S E .............

and stuff like that. (Who said "E"?)

So, Steve, since I can't think of a Chemistry symbol for J, or M, or L, are these simply "fillers"? Or, back to my original statement, is it likely that ONLY ONE of the letters bears any resemblance to anything involving Chemistry?

Note, this is my way of saying that you have got me stumped, and I'm valiantly digging for a clue ;)

Regards,

Hi Les,

This is one of the best I have ever seen, it gave me the absolute mutters. (Which is how I solved it - hint 1)

Asy was sooooooo close with her first attempt - hint 2

Answer will be provided by Thursday night if it still unsolved.

Asy, you still there?
Your silence is deafening!! (rev rev rev)

PS: Les, bravo for the 10 = 9.999999...
Your answer is spot on, and yes it is anomalous, but hey one has to insert a tricky one in for extra effect.

Regards,

Steve

Got number 7 (with some help)

Originally posted by asy
7 For the mensa people!

Ok, these are the letters between H and O, scrambled,
Hmmm... needs more thinking... Look for another post later... hehe

asy

ARAARGGGGHH Steve - this was a beauty, and you're right Asy was sooooo close.

Look at what she said "letters between H and O"
to say it another way.... "letters from H to O"
get it yet?
(answer below)

H to O = H2O = water.
Regards,

Luke
(who must acknowlege assistance of his puzzle-loving father on this one.)

Re: WINNERS LIST

Originally posted by Steve Navra

This sounds like Father Christmas and a photo while frantic parents nervously jumping up and down to make their babies smile.

Bit late to answer but I forgot to come back after we had a power failure.

Back