Quotes from PM's

Generally most of my PM's are pretty efficient when it comes to providing quotes for my IP repairs. I trust most of them do a thorough job and follow up as requested. Whether or not this involves 1 quote or more, I've not had any trouble.

However, it struck me recently how not all PMs are equal. I was waiting in a REA office for an agent some weeks ago, and couldn't help but overhearing the PM chatting to another staff member (I couldn't see them as they were behind a partition) but the conversation went something like this:

PM: God almighty! (Name) wants another bloody quote on getting that shower fixed! Greg's only charging $160- she's got oodles of cash. What's her problem? Now I'll have to ring (company name) as well.

Other: "Don't worry about it. Just tell her you got 3 quotes and Greg's was the cheapest. We did it all the time at (Agency A)"

PM: Yeah good idea. I'll leave it a few days so she thinks I've got the other quotes.

I suppose the message here is to follow up your PM on all quotes, as sometimes they may just be telling porkies ;)

When I saw the title I thought of "Well may we say 'God Save the Queen', because nothing can save the Governor-General".

Sorry :-(

When I saw the title I thought of "Well may we say 'God Save the Queen', because nothing can save the Governor-General".

Sorry :-(

and I thought it was things along the lines of "no of course we can't get them to pay more rent than that, Cheryl - it's only an old two bedroom duplex."

Which is one of the last things my (former) PM said to me!

But seriously, that's an awful way to behave.

My PM just didn't bother. When I asked her for quotes on getting some window sills re-sanded and re-varnished it just happened and the amount deducted. It was actually quite a good price, so I didn't kick up, but certainly didn't receive a quote.

After that, I started to ask for quotes in writing for my approval prior to anything being done - and I put this in writing so she couldn't say they didn't know.

After that, I started to ask for quotes in writing for my approval prior to anything being done - and I put this in writing so she couldn't say they didn't know.

I don't understand the logic behind this operation, it is quite inefficient. Why not give your PMs the autonomy to carry out repairs within a budget restraint?

Set a price where you're happy for a certain type of repairs to take place, which accords with your spreadsheet of the properties costs, and if it happens to be cheaper than that then you've gained unexpected savings (or profit). I bet 80 - 90% of repairs would be covered under your budget, and you benefit because you get more free time.