Quotes That Inspire & Motivate You

Sunday morning with Deng Ming-Dao..

"A tree uses what comes its way to nurture itself. By sinking its roots deeply into the earth, by accepting the rain that flows towards it, by reaching out to the sun, the tree perfects its character and becomes great. . . . Absorb, absorb, absorb. That is the secret of the tree."

"Knowing the steps to create living growth: that is art."

"It is a misconception that spirituality brings everlasting happiness.
There is no such thing. Sadness still comes to the wise, but, unlike most people, their clarity of mind allows them to see beyond the temporal emotionalism of the moment.
They are farseeing, and so happiness and sorrow become the same to them."

"Just by choosing where you stand, You alter your destiny."

"Let there be a hundred answers with none of them entirely correct. The asking of the question is already enough."

"Let us not hold ourselves above our fellow human beings, no matter how great the disparity.
To withhold your scorn is already beautiful.
To see how we are all of one family is compassion."

"Manure is an excellent way to feed plants.
The same is true of misfortune, failures, and disappointments of life.
If we understand the importance of manure, we understand that nothing is truly wasted.
Everything can be useful if correctly applied."

"Money is never more important than your body and mind, but you must work to support yourself.
Never depend on others for your livelihood."

"Only when the fisherman keeps his nets intact, keeps his boat repaired, and studies the condition of fish and water does going out to fish become a mere formality. Then fish fall into his hands as if guided by invisible lines."

"People think they don't have to learn, Because there is so much information available.
But knowledge is more than possessing information.
Only the wise move fast enough."

"Though others have faults, Concentrate on your own."

"We must understand how the past affects us, we should keep the present full of rich and satisfying experiences, and we should devote some energy each day to building for the future."

"You may be capable of great things, But life consists of small things."

~Deng Ming-Dao

"The power in freedom is that it allows the mind to be capable.
The curious mind is engaged by change, not overwhelmed.
The free mind is powerful because it is energetic and confident that it can solve whatever problem it encounters.
A mind full of wonder does not seek to make others struggle because it does not struggle.
It does not seek to enslave others because it has no use for enslavement.
It strives instead to instill hope and a spirit of exploration in others.
The only order the curious mind can tolerate is a world where we are all our own masters, doing what we love to do
."

~ Za Rinpoche and Ashley Nebelsieck

stop and look at all the people, thats how it turns out any way, so take some risks and dream higher, because now you know the alternative,

Here's one that I once lived by........

" The money you save wont buy your youth again"

From the only good cold chiesel song made, Bow River.

I have given up on that thinking.

I just came across a sketch by Off The Mark- Mark Parisi.

It's a picture of a wolf standing on a stage infront of other wolves,

"You gotta look at that house of brick and say "If I huff enough and I puff enough, then by GOLLY, I CAN blow it down."

Motivational Speaker at The Big Bad Wolf Convention.:)

Regards Jo

dont know if this one has been posted previously but it sums up the mindset needed for pretty much every journey we undertake

"I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was."
Muhammad Ali

‘‘There is no limit to what we can achieve as a nation, as Australian businesses, or as individuals. Except the limits we impose on ourselves by lack of confidence or application.’’

Don Argus, Chairman BHP

Bob won the Biggest loser last night - biggest weight loss in the history of the game. He lost HALF his body weight.

His little speech at the end was awesome and included this little gem:

"There is no more TRY, there is only DO."

That's actually not his, he stole it from the irrepressable Yoda.

"Do or not not, there is no try."

Ya mean youve never heard of a not not?! sheesh, you been buried under a rock rock or what?!

Jokes.

"Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda

I am not sure if this one has already been listed.

"You miss 100% percent of the shots you never take."

It's a quote from Wayne Gretzky (ex Canadian Ice Hockey player)

It's a quote that runs through my head when an outcome seems uncertain and a weaker person would walk away from the task.
(job interview, tests, investments etc)

Sorry i couldnt read all the previous posts as i was getting too motivated :) i have two stuck to my desk...

" if you look in the right places, you can find some good offerings"

came out of a fortune cookie the day my boss told me he would like me to go full time in sales... thought it had some meaning to the day

and

"you cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind"

not sure where that one came from, i obviously came accross it at some stage and it is handwritten on a tatty post it note and sticky taped to my desk.. i have had it for at least 5 years....

‘‘There is no limit to what we can achieve as a nation, as Australian businesses, or as individuals. Except the limits we impose on ourselves by lack of confidence or application.’’
A similar quote by Shakespeare in Measure for Measure (Act 1; Scene IV)

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt".

i love this thread, lots of good quotes

i have plenty written down at home, ill add some when i get home tonight

THE DISTANCE BETWEEN SUCCESS AND FAILURE CAN ONLY BE MEASURED BY ONES DESIRE

I KNOW WHAT I KNOW COULD FILL A BOOK, AND I KNOW WHAT I DON’T KNOW COULD FILL A LIBRARY

YOU WILL ALWAYS MISS 100% OF THE SHOTS YOU DON’T TAKE

THE FUTURE DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU DO IN THE PRESENT

THE PAST IS IN OUR HEAD, THE FUTURES IN OUR HANDS

THERE IS NO HAPPINESS EXCEPT IN THE REALISATION THAT WE HAVE ACCOMPLISHED SOMETHING

EMPLOY YOUR TIME IN IMPROVING YOURSELF BY OTHER MENS WRITINGS SO THAT YOU SHALL COME EASILY BY WHAT OTHERS HAVE LABOURED HARD FOR

THEY CAN BECAUSE THEY THINK THEY CAN

THE MAN WHO MOVES A MOUNTAIN BEGINS BY CARRYING AWAY SMALL STONES

NOTHING CAN STOP THE MAN WITH THE RIGHT MENTAL ATTITUDE FROM ACHIEVING HIS GOAL; NOTHING ON EARTH CAN HELP THE MAN WITH THE WRONG MENTAL ATTITUDE

A WISE MAN LEARNS BY THE MISTAKES OF OTHERS, A FOOL BY HIS OWN

HE WHO HAS HOPE HAS EVERYTHING

GO CONFIDENTLY IN THE DIRECTION OF YOUR DREAMS. LIVE THE LIFE YOU HAVE IMAGINED

BOTH POVERTY AND RICHES ARE THE OFFSPRING OF THOUGHT

IF YOU WANT TO KNOW YOUR PAST – LOOK INTO YOUR PRESENT CONDITIONS. IF YOU WANT TO KNOW YOUR FUTURE – LOOK INTO YOUR PRESENT ACTIONS

IF MONEY IS YOUR HOPE FOR INDEPENDENCE YOU WILL NEVER HAVE IT. THE ONLY REAL SECURITY A MAN CAN HAVE IN THIS WORLD IS A RESERVE OF KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND ABILITY – HENRY FORD

THINK LIKE A MAN OF ACTION, ACT LIKE A MAN OF THOUGHT

I DON’T THINK MUCH OF A MAN WHO IS NOT WISER TODAY THAN HE WAS YESTERDAY

EVERY NOW AND AGAIN TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT SOMETHING NOT MADE WITH HANDS – A MOUNTAIN, A STAR, THE TURN OF A STREAM. THERE WILL COME TO YOU WISDOM AND PATIENCE AND SOLACE AND, ABOVE ALL, THE ASSURANCE THAT YOU ARE NOT ALONE IN THE WORLD

I HAVE A DREAM

AN INVESTMENT IN KNOWLEDGE ALWAYS PAYS THE BEST INTEREST

FAILURE IS ONLY THE OPPORTUNITY TO START AGAIN, THIS TIME MORE WISELY

IF THE GOING IS REAL EASY, BEWARE; YOU MAY BE HEADED DOWN HILL

THE SUCCESSFUL MAN IS THE AVERAGE MAN, FOCUSED

THE TRUE MEASURE OF A MAN IS HOW HE TREATS SOMEONE WHO CAN DO HIM ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD

SOME MAKE IT HAPPEN, SOME WATCH IT HAPPEN, AND SOME SAY ‘WHAT HAPPENED?’

A MANS DREAMS ARE AN INDEX TO HIS GREATNESS

THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING

ONLY A FOOL KNOWS EVERYTHING, A WISE MAN KNOWS HOW LITTLE HE KNOWS

ATTITUDE DETERMINES ALTITUDE

WHETHER YOU THINK YOU CAN OR YOU CANT – YOUR RIGHT

WHEN YOU REACH FOR THE STARS, YOU MAY NOT GET ONE, BUT YOU WONT COME UP WITH A HANDFUL OF MUD, EITHER

I AM ONLY ONE; BUT STILL I AM ONE. I CANNOT DO EVERYTHING, BUT STILL I CAN DO SOMETHING. I WILL NOT REFUSE TO DO SOMETHING I CAN DO

HELL IS THE KNOWLEDGE OF OPPORTUNITY LOST; THE PLACE WHERE THE MAN I AM COMES FACE TO FACE WITH THE MAN I MIGHT HAVE BEEN

HE WHO FLINGS MUD LOSES A LOT OF GROUND

THE BEST PLACE TO FIND A HELPING HAND IS AT THE END OF YOUR OWN ARM

IF NOT ME, WHO? IF NOT NOW, WHEN?

LIFE IS LIKE A TAXI. THE METER JUST KEEPS A-TICKING WHETHER YOU ARE GETTING SOMEWHERE OR JUST STANDING STILL

FOR A LONG TIME IT HAD SEEMED TO ME THAT LIFE WAS ABOUT TO BEGIN – REAL LIFE. BUT THERE WAS ALWAYS SOME OBSTACLE IN THE WAY, SOMETHING TO BE GOTTEN THROUGH FIRST, SOME UNFINISHED BUSINESS, TIME STILL TO BE SERVED, A DEBT TO BE PAID. THE LIFE WOULD BEGIN. AT LAST IT DAWNED ON ME THAT THESE OBSTACLES WERE MY LIFE

ATTACK LIFE, ITS GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY

THE WAY TO SUCCEED IS TO DOUBLE YOUR ERROR RATE

YOU CANT BUILD A REPUTATION ON WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO

NOTHING IS PARTICULARLY HARD IF YOU DIVIDE IT INTO SMALL JOBS

ill post more tomorrow

Back