Qustions re: property title and stamp duty

Hi, I've fully paid the vendor for the property.

I paid stamp duty via my conveyancer ( conveyancer paid in cash, I paid conveyancer my check to facilitate faster release of title)

Questions:

1. Will the Land title be released in my name if stamp duty was not paid for?
2. Do I get receipt for paying the stamp duty?
3. What does a land title look like in Victoria?
4. How long after lodgement of Transfer of Title before I get the land title?

thanks a lot in advance:)

Questions:
1. Will the Land title be released in my name if stamp duty was not paid for?
No :rolleyes:

2. Do I get receipt for paying the stamp duty?
They normally just stamp the contract front page - you can get a copy of that as a receipt if you want

3. What does a land title look like in Victoria?
A4 sheet of paper with basic title information on it - pretty boring really :(

4. How long after lodgement of Transfer of Title before I get the land title?
4 - 6 weeks ??

In Victoria you have 3months to pay stamp duty but most conveyancers want you to pay it at settlement. I dont know if you can get the title until you pay stamp duty, When i settled my property, i went to the SRO payed the stamp duty and they stamped the forms, which you then take to the land titles office and pay for the transfer of land, cost me $445.10, you can pay this with eftpos/credit card if you like (most conveyancers will want you to write them a check tho.) The title(s) are printed out on the spot, the land title is a certificate which has some high tech security features on it.
It is a lot quicker to do all the lodgement yourself and cheaper, but really depends if you can get time off and how far from melbourne you live. All up you could get all this done in as little as 2hours, but the SRO gets very busy in the mornings with conveyancer agents doing lodgements.

Hi all. I got my title already.

What happened last friday was my conveyancer called me that she got the title around 11am, I checked around 2 pm, its still not lodged, the guy from land division inquiries told me, as soon as the title is lodged, it;ll only take 10 minutes to be reflected in the system. I was so worried, no title yet!

But finally at 4pm, it was changed to my name. Whew, what a relief.

Thanks all for patiently answering all my queries.

I think my buying journey has ended. Step 2- buying an IP is next....slowly step by step....

thanks again blokes.

Back