R20/40 City of Bayswater

Hi All
Am currently looking at purchasing a property, which potentially will be 3 unit site, very good location approx. 765 sqm. This property will not hit the market, but I just need to ensure that the zoning will allow for 3 units.

I am keen to get this over the line as it will potentially provide excellent profit

Attached is the summary from Council.

Agents in area tell me it will not be a problem demolishing existing house as I will be making improvements and Bayswater Council are very good to deal with. Its very unique to actually source 3 unit site in this area, this zoning is only in a certain pocket, most zoning in the area only allows for 2 on site.

In relation to the R20/40 the Town Planning Scheme No. 23 states the following;

a) Residential Development
(i) Subject to Sub-Clause (ii) of this clause, residential development shall be undertaken having due regard to the provisions of Planning Policy 5 and in accordance with the requirements of the Residential Planning Codes with respect to the R20 density code.
(ii) An increase in the dwelling density by up to a maximum of 40 dwellings per hectare shall be considered by the Council subject to the proposed development satisfying the following criteria:
? connection to reticulated sewer;
? retention of mature trees on the site;
? the existing dwelling being retained if it is considered worthy of retention, contributes to the streetscape and has not reached the end of its economic life;
? new development maintaining or enhancing the character of the streetscape;
? compliance with the Residential Planning Codes with respect to the R40 dwelling density code.

Hi All
Am currently looking at purchasing a property, which potentially will be 3 unit site, very good location approx. 765 sqm. This property will not hit the market, but I just need to ensure that the zoning will allow for 3 units.

I am keen to get this over the line as it will potentially provide excellent profit

Attached is the summary from Council.

Agents in area tell me it will not be a problem demolishing existing house as I will be making improvements and Bayswater Council are very good to deal with. Its very unique to actually source 3 unit site in this area, this zoning is only in a certain pocket, most zoning in the area only allows for 2 on site.

In relation to the R20/40 the Town Planning Scheme No. 23 states the following;

a) Residential Development
(i) Subject to Sub-Clause (ii) of this clause, residential development shall be undertaken having due regard to the provisions of Planning Policy 5 and in accordance with the requirements of the Residential Planning Codes with respect to the R20 density code.
(ii) An increase in the dwelling density by up to a maximum of 40 dwellings per hectare shall be considered by the Council subject to the proposed development satisfying the following criteria:
? connection to reticulated sewer;
? retention of mature trees on the site;
? the existing dwelling being retained if it is considered worthy of retention, contributes to the streetscape and has not reached the end of its economic life;
? new development maintaining or enhancing the character of the streetscape;
? compliance with the Residential Planning Codes with respect to the R40 dwelling density code.

Bayswater certainly has one of the easier set of criteria for split density coding - the sticking point may be the existing dwelling i.e. what condition is it in and is it really worthy of retention or have any special character features? Even if it does, you should be able to incorporate those features into the new build and build a case around that. are there any mature trees?

sewer, R-code compliance and enhancing the streetscape are easy ones.

Just an update on this, and for anyone who is dealing with Bayswater Council. This is the first time for me.

I phoned Bayswater Council today again as I was going to arrange a meeting with the Planning Manager, apparently planning advised that zoning such as R20/40 automatically reverts to R40. I requested this in writing. I am now emailing the planning manager to confirm in black and white.

Planning Department also advised that they are trying to increase zoning as not enough adequate housing, I would say it also fattens their pockets, I don't care as long as we can all make money:)

Fantastic! Helen (planning manager) is very much pro-development and seems to be taking a pro-active approach here. More dwellings = more Council rates and more $$ for developers, everybody wins! :D

Bayswater certainly has one of the easier set of criteria for split density coding - the sticking point may be the existing dwelling i.e. what condition is it in and is it really worthy of retention or have any special character features? Even if it does, you should be able to incorporate those features into the new build and build a case around that. are there any mature trees?

sewer, R-code compliance and enhancing the streetscape are easy ones.

Never thought of the trees, yes one near verge. Should be OK.
House has no character, typical 50s home you see in Dianella, Morley

Thanks for input.

I would find it very hard to believe it reverts straight to r40 so i would definately be getting that in writting. You can ask for written formal planning adivise from them and that will give you a clear understanding. They will probably charge for this i think around the $75-150 mark.

Or else talk to kent he has just purchased and r40 block in bayswater so maybe able to shed some light.

Cheers

Thanks, for this, from what I am researching so far its looking very good.

Just hoping that the agent does not do the dirty on me, you never know in this market.

Fantastic! Helen (planning manager) is very much pro-development and seems to be taking a pro-active approach here. More dwellings = more Council rates and more $$ for developers, everybody wins! :D

I don't know if I'd call her very much pro development but she is certainly one of the more reasonable ones out there. Very thorough but ultimately quite fair. I've certainly noticed bayswaters improvement since she came over from Vincent, there were some proper monkeys working there before (not all of course)

Helen is a good operator.

Sanj, you gotta remember the old guard at Bayswater - i mean, those council meetings! holy moly what an affair. Helen would seem like Alannah @ Vincent.

You would just have to make sure you don't have to abide by extra conditions to satisfy the higher density rating. Town of Bassendean sticks on extra conditions if you want the higher of the two in a situation like this.

Just an update, I did not actually go ahead with the purchase. This was a property in Morley, very close to Galleria.

My concern was that most villas/units in this area are sitting on larger land component 300 sqm, and the 3x2 villas would be much larger than what I could build. Once researching further I thought it would be possibly difficult to sell this product so bailed out.

Also from my research this market is now slowing down.

I have since just purchased another development site south of the river, R40.

Cheers
MTR:)

Back