Racism in Australia

It's been a sensitive subject since the very beginning of time.
Is it that frequent? Does it still exist? Will it ever disappear?

Two nights ago my mates and I went to celebrate a friends birthday. We had a blast until an unfortunate event happened. We encountered an individual who became aggressive and made racial comments after I asked how was his night was.

I was obviously enraged but was held back by ALL my white mates. You know what the sad thing is? Taking into account the fact that he might be drunk, his mates softly cheered him on.

Being born in Australia in the late 80's, I never felt isolated with regards to my ethnicity nor did I feel out of place with my white mates up until last Sunday night.

Was I lucky to not experience that during my childhood?

At the moment I'm just thankful that I have such a good group of people that I hang around with.

I now feel sorry for the person who felt that way to me. Whether it was his upbringing, his urge to live up to his mates standard or something else. I just hope he would see things differently one day.

Peace out

I think if someone's like that, they're just trying to be find something to insult or provoke with, rather than being racist specifically.

I wouldn't be too worried about the comments of a drunk or stoned bigot. You need to determine what will be gained out of conflict with this person and whether it is worth the expenditure of energy.

Most smart mouths end up making one too many comments. Let someone else punch his lights out.

I think if someone's like that, they're just trying to be find something to insult or provoke with, rather than being racist specifically.

Whatever his intentions were the point I'm making is the ease at which people could make these comments. I'm sure there will be always groups like him and he doesn't represent the wider community but it's just a bit upsetting to actually see it live.

I wouldn't be too worried about the comments of a drunk or stoned bigot. You need to determine what will be gained out of conflict with this person and whether it is worth the expenditure of energy.

Most smart mouths end up making one too many comments. Let someone else punch his lights out.

And for that I thank one of my mates who was mature and logical enough to pull me back. I can't stress how good the people I hang around with are.

Racism is part of human nature. It has always been present in Australia and will continue to be very much of our society. We are no different to any other country in this regards. However, due to our laws and Judeo-Christian dominant origins and morals, racism is not seen as politically or socially correct -hence racism in Australia is far better disguised than in other countries.

Sadly some people go out to drink simply to pick a fight. I had an ex-brother in law like this, who didn't think it a good night unless he punched someone.

He was a real macho d-head which a bucket load of insecurities of "trying to prove" himself.

Fortunately most Australians aren't like this - aren't racist - are very tolerant - and genuinely nice people. We just don't hang out in pubs.

The recent racism - attack on a Muslim school as an example - just angers and saddens most of us. It is stupid and pointless - pathetic and shows the insecurity of the perpetrator.

It's not different for the attacks on gays. I have a few business colleagues - a few obviously gay, others perhaps but not obvious. Personally - couldn't care less. They are nice people. I think it's fantastic they have nice partners that are outgoing and friendly, but just the same as I think it's fantastic when my straight friends have nice partners that are outgoing and friendly ... but the abuse they have received over the years is just shameful

Turn the other cheek - bask in the knowledge that you are the better person, and this other guy is just an insecure dick, and use your tolerance of ignorance as an example ... doesn't mean you cower - it means you check your emotions at the door and remain logical and calm.

So - yes - racism is alive in Australia, as it is in every other country.

And - on behalf of all decent Australians - love ya! :D

Do you think that TV shows like Kingswood Country (Ted Bullpit) and Love Thy Neighbour ("hey nig nog") contribute to rascism in our society?

Do you think that TV shows like Kingswood Country (Ted Bullpit) and Love Thy Neighbour ("hey nig nog") contribute to rascism in our society?

The current TV show Legally Brown I feel desensitizes the community to racism. It's a very hard subject to clearly answer. I mean I always joke around within my close friends about my background for the laughs but does that mean I'm encouraging racism? Am I slapping it back at my face? I don't know.

Turn the other cheek - bask in the knowledge that you are the better person, and this other guy is just an insecure dick, and use your tolerance of ignorance as an example ... doesn't mean you cower - it means you check your emotions at the door and remain logical and calm.

So - yes - racism is alive in Australia, as it is in every other country.

And - on behalf of all decent Australians - love ya! :D

Thanks! I couldn't agree more!

There have been quite a number of incidents where Asian and other immigrants have been abused on public transport. I think the ABC's Jeremy Fernandez copped a mouthful of nastiness on a bus once. For some reason, many of the perpetrators are women.....I am not sure why. Perhaps its due to the dogwhistling epidemic which seems to be affecting Australia in a big way - there are plenty of votes in stopping the boats, creating divisions etc.

To Australia's credit, our Laws are pretty fair. That the current Government wants to water down the Racial Discrimination Act is a bit of a worry.

The difference between, say, Canada and the USA is that these countries see immigrants as a worthwhile economic asset. Here in Oz we see them as bludgers and troublemakers. It's no wonder hatred abounds.

I think the women do it because they are comfortable in the knowledge that the victims won't punch their lights out. They also target Asians because they know middle-easterners give as good as they get.

All that said, our Laws are pretty decent and more and more of these bullies seem to get busted. In Court they are generally contrite and get off with good behaviour bonds.

I was in western Sydney once and I was verbally abused by a bogan girl and she even spat on me. All I wanted to do was get past her on the escalator. She told me to go back to my own country, I yelled out that I was born here you stupid bogan #### and she much have been so raciest that she even thinks normal aussies like me are from overseas. I know how it feels for some immigrants.

On the flip side. I feel quite intimidated when I go to some suburbs in Sydney where up to 90% of the people are immigrants or visitors from other countries. For example I was in Stratified recently one evening looking for a restaurant. There was many restaurants but not one we found was non Korean and just about every person we seen was Korean or Chinese, it was like all the Australians had left town. it was sad really.

I also think Australians are way too politically correct as they have let their country be taken over by immigrants. For example I went into the Centrelink office recently as I became unemployed and I needed to apply for Newstart until I could get employed again. Every Centrelink worker was ether an immigrant or was none white Australian. On top of that 90% of the people waiting in line to collect benefits looked like immigrants.

When my name was called out I was interviewed by a Chinese woman. it seemed really weird as she couldn't even speak or understand English very well and I had to keep repeating what I said. She was arrogant and unhelpful and went out of her way to make it hard for me. I'm sure when the many Chinese people waiting in line got to speak to her I'm sure she would have been much friendlier to them, that is the feeling I had.

I started looking for a job and I found one at a local Sydney restaurant. The head chef was from Vietnam, the other two workers in the kitchen were from China and the manager/floor manager was from Vietnam as well. I worked there a couple of days but not one person spoke to me or were friendly towards me, I tried to be friendly asking them how long they worked there etc and made small talk but each time they answers were simple and they had no interest in having a conversation with me. I was fired 2 days later as I was told I did not fit in and was good enough. The funny thing is the head chef had no clue how to even cook a steak for this "Aussie Pub Food Grill" in a local hotel. he did not even season the steak or let it rest. The only person that was friendly to me was the Aussie barman who had worked there for many years.

I find it strange how Australia has become overrun now by immigrants and I'm sure most of them think we are just a stupid country to let them take over out country. This is the result of a politically correct society that we have become. Fueled by TV programs like the Project and Studio 10 where people sit around complaining how PC this or that wasn't.

I use to travel to a lot of countries regularly and it would be unheard of to ever see a foreigner serving a local in a Government department, it would be unthinkable that foreigners would line up each week for a free pay check.

I'm glad to see the Government is making some changes but I think that immigrants should not be able to run for Mayor like we have in many Sydney suburbs like Stratified were certain groups are taking over these suburbs and we need a 10 year period before they can get in Government Jobs or receive benefits. Immigrants should be forced to live in places where they need new residents instead of them all immigrating to certain suburbs in Sydney.

Does rascism exist in other countries? How are the victims treated by say the general population or the government?

What is the relevance?

I think Australia, in the 21st century, has to be one of the least rascist countries in the world. We have enacted laws which make rascism illegal, in fact it is illegal to discriminate ( although this current government wishes to change that).

So even though rascism might exist in the hearts and minds of some individuals it is illegal in Australia. That is the relevant point.

Back