Racism in Australia

I can only see a heading about three men being deported from SA because they were too handsome. But note that they were not forced to wear headdress to cover their 'handsomeness' and they were not deported for inviting to be raped by women. Do the royal princes not want any competititon(lol))?

What a surprise - property_girl steering the thread into a gender equality debate :rolleyes:

You realize the "black sheet" you're referring to/the one in the pic posted above isn't a burqa right?? If people are going to be discussing something that is the subject t of a fair but of conversation atm is it too much to ask for just a tiiiiiny but of accuracy??
I wasn't referring to any picture posted here - just a general description of the look of the garment...

To me it looks like a large black sheet with eye slits, draped over a person.

Aussie cossie is a general description too, I guess you could say.

I wasn't referring to any picture posted here - just a general description of the look of the garment...

u been hanging out too much in dromana.

time for a holiday in bali (or jordan) -so you can get with the latest headwear

:D

Yes, what you are describing here isn't a burqa. A burqa is the blue garment warn with a mesh like section for the face. It's extremely rare in Australia and from what I understand only worn by some women from Afghanistan. I think if the issue is going to be debated we can at least try to be somewhat accurate

It is not 'me' who is deciding. It is not a subjective opinion; it's a well know fact. Look at the culture and read the interpretations of the Koran.

I am not justifying the use of any face covering.
I am trying to understand how did you reach the conclusion that women are oppressed just by what they are wearing?

They have been wearing it for ages and most are more comfortable wearing that on a hot steamy day than wearing a negligee. Again, not defending what they are wearing, but defending their choice.

If you truly believe that to be the case, women wearing a bra are also oppressed because their hubby and young kids are frolicking around topless!

Yes, what you are describing here isn't a burqa. A burqa is the blue garment warn with a mesh like section for the face. It's extremely rare in Australia and from what I understand only worn by some women from Afghanistan. I think if the issue is going to be debated we can at least try to be somewhat accurate
Whatever, Sanj. :rolleyes:

Everyone refers to either/or as burkha every single day, on radio, teevee, conversation, print...blue or black.

They both look stupid, and I can't believe any woman would want to wear one.

I can't believe any husband would want their wife to wear one.

One of my pleasures in life is to perv at my wife all day...in all sorts of clothes.

What; these blokes are so insecure about other blokes looking at their wives that they have to keep them covered up from the entire world so no other blokes might want to crack on, or have to commit suicide if he sees her, or whatever?

It's insane.

But, at least they are free here in our fabulous Country to choose - under the law.

No, not whatever. If people are genuinely trying to ban something can we at least show the people affected the respect to call it the correct name?? Is that too much to ask?

Burqa or niqab, what is it you have a problem with? Both? What about hijab?

As an investor I've obviously got vested interests with immigration since it puts upward pressure on prices. That said of course there's racism in Australia but it's very small on the world scale and nothing compared to the xenophobia displayed in countries, such as Japan and China.

People like hanging out with people who have similiar interests to them. The majority of my friends are all whites and islanders since I grew up playing rugby.

There's also socio-economics to it as well. Stats show that people that grow up in outer suburbs and lower socio-economic areas are more 'racist', which is understandable. Firstly it's because they actually live in the areas where a lot of ethnics live (so they get more exposure to the culture etc.). Plus there's obviously going to be resentment and financial jealousy towards ethnic groups who work in professional jobs with higher salaries etc.
Lean also demonstrated the point as she was unemployed and resented the fact that foreigners had jobs and she didn't even though she was born here etc.

E.g I've been at auctions where I've seen couples shake their heads and mutter 'fkn asians' because they've been priced out of the market. Same as a lot of Indonesians don't like Chinese people since they tend to be the rich people in Indonesia.

As an investor I've obviously got vested interests with immigration since it puts upward pressure on prices. That said of course there's racism in Australia but it's very small on the world scale and nothing compared to the xenophobia displayed in countries, such as Japan and China.

People like hanging out with people who have similiar interests to them. The majority of my friends are all whites and islanders since I grew up playing rugby.

There's also socio-economics to it as well. Stats show that people that grow up in outer suburbs and lower socio-economic areas are more 'racist', which is understandable. Firstly it's because they actually live in the areas where a lot of ethnics live (so they get more exposure to the culture etc.). Plus there's obviously going to be resentment and financial jealousy towards ethnic groups who work in professional jobs with higher salaries etc.
Lean also demonstrated the point as she was unemployed and resented the fact that foreigners had jobs and she didn't even though she was born here etc.

E.g I've been at auctions where I've seen couples shake their heads and mutter 'fkn asians' because they've been priced out of the market. Same as a lot of Indonesians don't like Chinese people since they tend to be the rich people in Indonesia.

Haha I hear/see that all the time as well...but at the end of the day, most of those 'fkn asians' have the same blue/black passport as any other Australian citizen - difference is they are the new owners of a miserable and resentful couples dream home :cool:

No, not whatever. If people are genuinely trying to ban something can we at least show the people affected the respect to call it the correct name?? Is that too much to ask?

Burqa or niqab, what is it you have a problem with? Both? What about hijab?
Well, you need to be whining about not being accurate to the ones who want to ban it, then.

I don't want to ban it; I just have a "head-shake" WTF? about them as a fashion item.

Describing how anything looks is a matter of opinion, and it doesn't matter what the fine details of that item are, really.

If you don't agree with or like my opinion that is your prerogative.

Is the Hijab the head dress that Indian blokes wear? If it is - not my cup of tea, but at least it's a bit more sensible than a sheet.

Spoke to a white lady married to an Indian migration agent this morning. Referred to the Indians as one of the most corrupt races (don't call her racist as she's married to an Indian) and then filled me in on all the 457 scams (along with her belief that 90% refugees are nor bona fide- including one who once granted residency asked how long can he go back over to Iraq before Centrelink finds out).
Indian (and she kept referring to Indians as the main offenders) pays $50k cash to be sponsored (no tax paid)but then work as a cabbie subcontractor earning 80k a year but only declaring 16k-under tax free threshold-no tax paid- to become a resident . Supposedly many are also claiming Centrelink whilst working (dunno if that's right- she may have meant once they got residency) . No tax. Just one of many scams.
We hear how our tax revenue is declining yet our population is increasing. Of course no one wants to live in a third world craphole so will do what they can to get here and then bring the whole crew out but I can see it will lead to a rapid decline in living standards for the rest of us stupid tax paying locals.

And this isn't directed at Indians- that was the example this otherwise quiet and demure lady used. Just my generalized rant against loading up our welfare system so that those who worked and paid taxes for forty years to build the hospitals now have to wait 2 years for a hip replacement.

It was a lucky country but I'm thinking that time has passed- at least for us long standing locals.

... women wearing a bra are also oppressed because their hubby and young kids are frolicking around topless!

And they might be. I believe a woman owns her body and can do what she wants with it. Isn't that what the "Free the Ni***e" campaign about? I have read that in the 1930s men were criticised if they went topless.

They have been wearing it for ages and most are more comfortable wearing that on a hot steamy day than wearing a negligee. Again, not defending what they are wearing, but defending their choice. !

What about the rights of women, both here and overseas, to not wear the burka? Where is the support for that silent minority or majority?

The fact that no woman speaks out against Islam speaks volumes.

And Bayview is right: whether it's a burqa or a niqab is just semantics--they both cover the whole head and face. Whatever.

Last edited:
Niqab or burqa, they are both symbols of oppression and subjugation...

The niqab/burqa were foisted upon women by a patriarchal society; not because the women wanted it. That some women have now bought into the lie out of either fear or brainwashing, does not mean we have to support that dysfunction.

28usrpz.jpg

As I said: Niqab or burqa, they are both symbols of oppression and subjugation. No-one champions the rights of African women to have female circumcision performed on them. Noone champions the rights of sexually abused children who want to stay with the sexual abuser/perpetrator.

Does it not strike people as odd that all the things we hold dear such as freedom of religion, freedom of speech and equality for women are absent from the Muslim world but one cannot point that out without angering Muslims
and, it seems, half the people on SS?

Back