Rafting Nymboida

Just come back from what has been about the most popular family holiday we've had , even though it only lasted two days.

White water rafting on the Nymboida, inland from coffs harbour.

Beautiful Scenery , great action enjoyed by everyone

showphoto.php

showphoto.php

showphoto.php

showphoto.php

showphoto.php

There used to be five companies rafting up there. All but one went bankrupt during the drought , and a new one started up recently. We went with Wildwater adventures , who started over 20 years ago and were the ones recommended during my " due diligence " . ( Apparently there were a couple of deaths when some cowboys were involved in the " good old days " )

See Change

see_change said:
Just come back from what has been about the most popular family holiday we've had , even though it only lasted two days. See Change

It definitely rates as one of the best weekends i've had recently. Myself and a group of 22 others were down there 4 weekends ago and had an absolutely cracking good time.

We also went with Wildwater Adventures and i'd also highly recommend them. The 2 hr drive to get there was also a highlight even though we were a bit hung over. We did the 9km 1 day trip but we're going to organise another trip in about 6 mths and do the 27km 2 day trip where you camp overnight on the banks of the river. Is this the one you guys did?

00190001smallest.jpg
[/IMG]

Far north Queensland has well known white water rafting on the Tully River. It really is fun. I've done a few day trips and also a weekend trip on the North Johnstone - starting from the confluence with Beatrice River and going down to Neranda tea plantation. Yeeeeeeeeeeeha!! :)

Nomadic

We did the over night trip. The second day was probably the better of the two days ( if that's possible :D ) . We had David and Jason as our guides and they were going on a bit about how we had to put in some hard yards in the first six k's as that involved a fair bit of paddling but it wasn't a major drama and none of the people in our raft were excessively fit , and my arms arn't sore after it.

The second day had the better rapids with a couple of grade fives , including one small waterfall ( well it looked small from the bottom ...:eek: ) and several grade fours.

The camp site was very pretty and obviously in the middle of nowhere.

PS How did you get your pics to show in your post .

I quized the guides about the other trips around Oz, and they mentioned the Tully , Johnston , Gwydir and Gordon - Franklin.

The Nymboida is the Closest to Sydney and I also wanted an overnight trip.

The Gwydir is meant to be much more full on and has a minimum age of 17 , while the Nymboida's limit is 12 . Our youngest turned 12 in Feb.

See Change

See change, i'm jealous you did the 2 day trip :)

The one day trip went way too quickly and was definitely a teaser for me. David (the guy with the beard who owns the business) told me the 2nd day had more rapids and scarier ones too... hmmm, i like the sound of going down a waterfall in a raft :D

We also decided on the Nymboida being the closest to the Gold Coast plus we had some friends coming from Sydney and Byron Bay. Sounds like the Gwydir could be the next place to visit especially if it's more full on :eek:

-----------

PS: to get a pic to show on the post, first you need to have them uploaded online. What i do is go to www.photobucket.com where you can upload your pics for free. It's kinda like an online photo album. Once you've uploaded a pic it gives you 3 options for your pic: 1) Url, 2) Tag, 3) Img.

I copy the Img link and paste it into the pop up box that ask for a URL when you click on the 'insert image' icon when making a post. If you've uploaded your pics to the gallery (which you have), right click the image and select 'copy image location'. This gives you the URL of the pic. In the case of your 1st linked pic, it is:
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/gallery/data/523/medium/20060414_0012.JPG

So when you insert an image in your post, you need to paste this link into the pop up box that asks for the URL when you click the 'insert image' icon.

Back