Raising a house that has an internal brick chimney in kitchen

Hi there,

We're looking at raising a house on a small lot in the inner brisbane area, that has an internal brick chimney between the kitchen and an internal room.

I have a few questions I hope someone can help with.

Has anyone had experience at doing a house lift, complete with brick chimney?

Can it be done and how much extra would it cost?

Also, what are the required distances between the side of the house and side boundaries to allow for the house to be raised?

Thanks for any help.

Hi there,

We're looking at raising a house on a small lot in the inner brisbane area, that has an internal brick chimney between the kitchen and an internal room.

I have a few questions I hope someone can help with.

Has anyone had experience at doing a house lift, complete with brick chimney?

Can it be done and how much extra would it cost?

I have worked on a few high end inner city properties,, where they wanted the fireplace to stay in place and depending of the level you take the building too,all they do is unframe the fireplace,jack up the floors then rebuild the fire place too the new level,but it works out very expensive..imho..

Depends on structure of chimney. Some will try and support on steel, most will pull down and rebuild. Not cheap either way. Andrew Drake at affordable restumping is a gun at the difficult stuff. I have seen him rotate and lift a house over the edge of a hill on scaffolding.

Back