Raising awareness - am I just a hard-hearted cynic?

My Rules of Engagement with these things;

1. By phone - I now hang up without a response. Just quietly put the phone down in their mid-sentence. At first the guilt hits you, but after a few times.... The easiest ones to detect are those ones with the two second delay at the start of the call. I can now hang up before the Indian gent/gentess can utter a syllable...

2. Door knockers - if the blinds are closed, I open them and wave and shake my head at the same time and say no thanks, then closed the blinds. If the blinds are open, i wave and shake my head at the same time and say no thanks, then walk away.

3. In the street - avoid catching their eye, but if I unfortunately do, quickly shake the head, smile and say no thanks and keep on truckin'.

i have three kids. if one of my kids died - outsid eof my immediate family and friends - what makes anyone think that anyone else out there is going to give a royal rat's ar*eh*le about whyit happened?

it doesn't mean i don't feel for a parent who has lost a child. i was brought to tears the other day hearing about a little 11 month old who went into a seizure because of the flu vacc and 12 hours later she was brain dead.

am i heartless? no, i don't think so.

i just don't see why that little 11m old needs a charity set up to call me getting me to donate money in the hope to win a car - i mean, it does nothing to bring her back or abate the feelings that reside. that's not hearltess - it's just practical and i think th energy would be better expended in the healing process than in the "set up a charity" movement.

period.

Back