Raising awareness - am I just a hard-hearted cynic?

I've noticed lately that there are a lot of causes or 'days' that are "raising awareness" of a particular issue.

You know, I'm already aware that breast cancer, starvation in 3rd world countries, whale harvesting, too many blue ribbon balloons, intolerance to men who fart and lack of facilities for guinea pig racers are significant issues in our society, but do we really need events that "raise awareness" of these things? Does "raising awareness" actually help? Or does it promote the raiser more than the raisee? Does this raising awareness actually provide any material assistance?

Am I the only one who has switched off to these sorts of things; have I built a mental armor that ignores these serious issues, or are others as jaded as I am?

Or am I simply a hard-hearted, selfish b*****d?

(FWIW, we (wife and I) have a number of select charities to which we donate what we believe to be a useful amount)

You're not alone Rob. I too notice these pests on swanston/ bourke st (Melbourne). And I too have build a mental force-field too keep them at bay.

Wow - I re-read my OP in the cold light of day! That came out a bit harsh! :eek:

I admire those people who DO spend a lot of their time working for charities and causes to help those less fortunate, but my original point is that I believe "raising awareness" is not as useful as actually "doing stuff".

eg, Wouldn't it be better for me to spend some time with disabled or sick kids, giving them some enjoyment, rather than, say, running from Melbourne to Canberra to "raise awareness"? How does THAT help the kids?

eg, Wouldn't it be better for me to spend some time with disabled or sick kids, giving them some enjoyment, rather than, say, running from Melbourne to Canberra to "raise awareness"? How does THAT help the kids?

To some degree, I can see where you're coming from there. I guess looking at it in business terms could help a little; "raising awareness" is a more subtle term for "marketing".

A business can devote all of its time and resources towards "doing stuff", but increasing the level of marketing ("raising awareness") will allow for more stuff to be done. Perhaps, many charitable organisations might operate in much the same way.

One thing I would ask is how old you are?

Because you may have heard it all before, but maby those in the younger generations haven't.

Plus all these charities/ causes need to compete with each other for funding and volunteers. Which means that they have to actively compete to remain formost in your mind.

It doesn't really bother me, as someone else mentioned, it's really just like advertising. It brings causes to people's attention, who either don't know about them, or don't think much of it.

What does bother me, is when I do make a donation to something, and they bombard me forever with newsletters and requests for further donations. Some charities do this constantly, and I'm sure the donation I gave, ends up being spent on all this postage and printing. Rather than appreciate the fact you made a donation, they constantly ask you for more. This is my only real annoyance.

One thing I would ask is how old you are?

Because you may have heard it all before, but maby those in the younger generations haven't.

Plus all these charities/ causes need to compete with each other for funding and volunteers. Which means that they have to actively compete to remain formost in your mind.

I'm 36. ;) I feel like we get so bombarded with all these messages that they all start to get lost.

i'm sick of the save "disabled blind johnny from botswana and his dog with huntingtons and while you're at it think pink" charities doing the rounds.

it almost like every kid that dies from a disease has to set up a charity so "other parents don't have to go through what we went through".

me? well.....i'm sick of it. i donate to OXFAM and Red Cross / Salvation Army / RSPCA doorknockers and THAT'S ALL FOLKS.

EVERYTHING is f____king PINK!!!!

I've noticed lately that there are a lot of causes or 'days' that are "raising awareness" of a particular issue.

You know, I'm already aware that breast cancer, starvation in 3rd world countries, whale harvesting, too many blue ribbon balloons, intolerance to men who fart and lack of facilities for guinea pig racers are significant issues in our society, but do we really need events that "raise awareness" of these things? Does "raising awareness" actually help? Or does it promote the raiser more than the raisee? Does this raising awareness actually provide any material assistance?

Am I the only one who has switched off to these sorts of things; have I built a mental armor that ignores these serious issues, or are others as jaded as I am?

(FWIW, we (wife and I) have a number of select charities to which we donate what we believe to be a useful amount)
I'm just starting to get hammered again by tele market type people again,mostly from from Charities all around 11 in the morning,and some around 4.30 in the afternoon even with being on the don't call list,some are very sharp and rude but you learn something each time,We only give too the Salvos their CEO'S don't earn the money other Charities:rolleyes: pay into the management system,that's the first question i ask,what sort of money-free cars-free credit cards does the top level get paided,they don't know what to say after you ask those question most just hang up and move onto the next phone number in front of them..willair..

prior to having my own children, i thought the same. if you have been touched by other peoples ill health and watched families struggle with their children dying then you would change your view. (i am talking from many experiences and i am only 33)

the ronald mcdonald house and numerous others help so many families and i don't think that 'mchappy day' is a waste of time. i am not saying money helps everything, yes time and energy do also.

i give to those charities that i have seen make a difference to someone i know.

Like donating blood or being on the organ register! giving is part of the receiving.

It can be frustrating though, I agree. I did the right thing once and sent a donation instead of selling raffle tickets for a group that often ring you at dinner time. Well now I get silly calls like "Hello Mrs Dish? We just want to start by saying thankyou for you helping us with our past raffles..." Nah, look I sent money ONCE about 4 years ago!!!

It does seem everyone/thing/dog seems to have their hand out sometimes.

I'm a nice and giving person (humble too ;)) but sometimes the people employed to ask for donations are very rude and can put you off doing it again. You want to donate because you want to, not because you've been badgered into it.

I agree!!!
Don't like being made to feel guilty when we give each month to charities of our choice...also sick of 'ribbons' for everything...next thing there'll be a ribbon for poor Roberta & murdered gangland figures :D

i'm sick of the save "disabled blind johnny from botswana and his dog with huntingtons and while you're at it think pink" charities doing the rounds.

it almost like every kid that dies from a disease has to set up a charity so "other parents don't have to go through what we went through".

me? well.....i'm sick of it. i donate to OXFAM and Red Cross / Salvation Army / RSPCA doorknockers and THAT'S ALL FOLKS.

EVERYTHING is f____king PINK!!!!

*snip*
the ronald mcdonald house and numerous others help so many families and i don't think that 'mchappy day' is a waste of time. i am not saying money helps everything, yes time and energy do also.
*snip*

Agree. McHappy day is not "raising awareness". $1 from every Big Mac sold goes to Ronald McDonald House, and celebrities 'work' in Maccas on that day to draw the crowds. This is NOT what I'm referring to. This is (or appears to be!) worthwhile.

you made a sweeping statement. then put guinea pig racing in the same sentence as 'breast cancer'. hmmmm

you don't deserve a response.

.............. but do we really need events that "raise awareness" of these things? Does "raising awareness" actually help?

No

Good onya

Personally I think events allow people who have friends or family to physically show their support by turning up and participating. For example 'Relay for Life' is a 24 hour event and a lot of people who participate have family or friends with Cancer or who have died from cancer.

Dragon Boat Racing is for survivors of Breast Cancer.

I think bearing in mind your age ( I was probably around the same age ) you have come to the conclusion that you cannot support all of these charities so you select the ones dear to your heart.

Bottomline IMHO - they are fundraising or can have an ulterior motive eg. join a union.

Select the ones you want to support we have chosen; Rescue Helcopter, Flying Doctor, Salvos, Surf Lifesavers, Prostate Cancer and give a larger donation. Plus few smaller ones eg. Red Cross.

Also we prefer our money to support local charities not metropolitan and avoid any organisation that part of the funds raised go to another company for fundraising.

I consider I pay enough insurances with fire levies so that one is covered too.

OFF TOPIC
My pet hate is an organisation ringing me up and asking me to doorknock my local area for donations!

Kind Regards
Sheryn

are you implying that 'autism awareness day' is a waste of time?

it raises awareness to others who have 'typical' children. (or normal as YOU may probably call it).

my son has autism and so i open my eyes to other peoples plights to 'raise awareness'. if you don't like it... hang up or switch off the ads!:(

but your way of asking a question about these 'days' is to me sarcastic and that is just plain rude. if you had posted your sarcasm on a mothering type website such as 'essentialbaby' then you would certainly be met with a stark response.

but your way of asking a question about these 'days' is to me sarcastic and that is just plain rude. if you had posted your sarcasm on a mothering type website such as 'essentialbaby' then you would certainly be met with a stark response.

I agree, some of the comments on here are a bit insensitive. Rather than get annoyed at those less fortunate trying to raise awareness of their situations, they should be thankful that their child (as an example) doesn't suffer from autism, leukemia, or another form of illness that you see fundraising for.

I simply treat these awareness days/ads as advertising, if I want to support it fine, if I don't, I tune out. I'm not going to get annoyed at them, they are usually people in unfortunate positions, and I'm just grateful that I don't rely on the charity.

Maybe, of those people with the harsh critical comments, if one day (but I hope you never have to experience it) your child does fall ill to cancer for example, you'll be grateful there has been so much exposure, and fundraising done to help find cures or provide support to families going through those tough times.

And even if the charity (someone targeted, people setting up numerous charities every time Johnny and Mary gets sick or dies) does nothing more than help the parents through their most painful experience of their life, then big deal. Let them do what they have to do to get through it, show some compassion, and hope like hell you are never in their position.

you made a sweeping statement. then put guinea pig racing in the same sentence as 'breast cancer'. hmmmm

you don't deserve a response.

OK, so as usual, my sarcastic and attempted tongue-in-cheek approach has not translated well into type!

are you implying that 'autism awareness day' is a waste of time?

it raises awareness to others who have 'typical' children. (or normal as YOU may probably call it).

my son has autism and so i open my eyes to other peoples plights to 'raise awareness'. if you don't like it... hang up or switch off the ads!:(

I am grateful every day that my children and family are healthy (or 'typical'), and I do what I can to help others less fortunate that myself. I am not against charities, or causes, merely the difference between "raising awareness" - being seen to be doing something - rather than the doing. And I was not so much referring to advertising for specific charities as much as events where there are no funds returning to the charity.

I think JamesGG has hit the nail on the head. This is often a form of marketing. However, it's the term that grates on me, as well as the exposure that more often raises the profile of the person (for eg) rather than the issue of which they are purporting to support.

Last edited:
Back