Random questions for country folk

Depending on where you are looking the presence of blackberry bushes can actually indicate good soil. I remember in many areas of southern Tassie where the soils are pretty poor (nothing like the excellent red stuff around the north of the island, which is just amazing...), you could spot the pockets of good soil by the invasion of wild blackberries they would have in the paddocks. Everywhere else the topsoil was wafer thin and there was just pure hard clay underneath - hence no blackberries! It's a classic cheat's soil test for those serious about growing their own food, alongside the soil texture test to make sure your soil has the right mix of sand, silt and clay for growing vegies.

I can't stress enough how important the right soil is if you are serious about growing your own food. The experience is a pleasure with the right soil and a nightmare without it as you just have to keep carting organic matter and fertiliser to make up for the deficiencies in the soil. Most important for vegies as they are the highest demand crop for the soil it is possible to grow. So make sure the soil is right!

If you intend eating anything grown on these properties I'd check some of the previous uses, and have a soil analysis done to be sure it's not loaded with DDT and the like.

Thanks guys. Looks like bulldozer will be the way to go. They are pretty thick. An anywhere there's space between blackberries, there's this other red bracken stuff.

Even if I could spray them myself, there's no way I could get round 10 acres and pull them up manually. Plus, I guess if I can bulldoze them out while they're alive, I can avoid using lots of chemicals?

And I'll definitely look into what's been used on the land before - I don't want to plant any veggies in soil that could be full of DDT!

Thanks guys. Looks like bulldozer will be the way to go. They are pretty thick. An anywhere there's space between blackberries, there's this other red bracken stuff.

Even if I could spray them myself, there's no way I could get round 10 acres and pull them up manually. Plus, I guess if I can bulldoze them out while they're alive, I can avoid using lots of chemicals?

The bulldozing is just so you can clear the land to get access to poison them. Bulldozing alone will not eradicate them. You might kill some, but they will come back. And bulldozing the land will cause an horrific soil erosion risk. I'd do all I could to poison them.

It will cost a lot. But I'd bet that you would get it back and more from the increase in land value if you get rid of them.

See ya's.

Plus, I guess if I can bulldoze them out while they're alive, I can avoid using lots of chemicals?

Bulldozing won't remove the seed that is left in the ground.

You just need to have access as TC said in order to spray them.

Depending on which herbicide you use you only need about 200ml per 100l of water, and considering you don't spray to the point it runs off, this will cover a fair area so very little chemical left behind.

Once they have been sprayed leave them a few months then slash them, this will pulverize the canes and the seed in the ground will shoot, let them get a couple of feet high and spray again.

If you graze or mow/slash from then on you shouldn't have any problems with them.

Bulldozing won't remove the seed that is left in the ground.

You just need to have access as TC said in order to spray them.

Depending on which herbicide you use you only need about 200ml per 100l of water, and considering you don't spray to the point it runs off, this will cover a fair area so very little chemical left behind.

Once they have been sprayed leave them a few months then slash them, this will pulverize the canes and the seed in the ground will shoot, let them get a couple of feet high and spray again.

If you graze or mow/slash from then on you shouldn't have any problems with them.

Thanks battler, that's some great info. Explains the process and how/why it works very well.

And thanks TC, I hadn't thought about soil erosion, but I definitely don't want to do that!

I'm starting from 0 knowledge, but I think this is going to be fun :)

Wiltipoll lamb once a year, whereas Dorpers lamb twice.

Ah - just found out today that the Dorpers don't need shearing either. Big plus. Also was told that the Wiltipolls are expensive in comparison, and the best to buy is a Wiltipoll/Dorper cross ... and it just happens that the neighbours friend breeds them.

May have to ask for a lambie ... bit worried now that the mobile butcher may not do the slaughter part. Hope he does.

Well Luce - and interested others - we've really bit the bullet now. Exchanged today and settlement in mid-January

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-other-nsw-pokolbin-7474323

Has fully irrigated system for the grapes (5 acres) that can be extended easily now that the infrastructure is in. Has a 5mgl water licence. 5 bay shed with office/accom facilities ... oh ... and a structurally darn good house that requires a major Lizzie makeover ... the garden is another episode ...

Looking at taking out all but a few rows of the grapes and putting in 4 varieties of purple garlic ... and 3 tourist accomodation cottages similar to these

http://www.blackwattleluxuryretreats.com.au/luxury_retreats_for_two.html

All mortgage free (when some sales go thru) and in anticipation of a transition to retirement ...

Well Luce - and interested others - we've really bit the bullet now. Exchanged today and settlement in mid-January

Has fully irrigated system for the grapes (5 acres) that can be extended easily now that the infrastructure is in. Has a 5mgl water licence. 5 bay shed with office/accom facilities ... oh ... and a structurally darn good house that requires a major Lizzie makeover ... the garden is another episode ...

Looking at taking out all but a few rows of the grapes and putting in 4 varieties of purple garlic ... and 3 tourist accomodation cottages similar to these

All mortgage free (when some sales go thru) and in anticipation of a transition to retirement ...

Oh WOW Lizzie! It's fantastic! Congratulations! What a beautiful piece of countryside you've found for yourself. And so much infrastructure already. Well done. I especially love the tree swing overlooking the lake. You're going to have such a great time digging and renovating and building the cottages and pottering around :)

Nice.

I was drooling over Hanging Tree Estate on the other side of the road on the weekend thinking "what if"

Looks beautiful.

Just a quick update on my blackberry fields. I decided to just slash it all and keep on slashing when they try to sprout up again until they give up and die. I really didn't want to use pesticides. Did the first lot of slashing about a month ago and it looks so much better now :)

Any before and afters? You've been really busy! Have you decided what you're going to do after you've slashed and burned?

Yes - the house/garden is run down but can't wait to get my hands on it .... now if I can just get hubby out of the way for a few months to let me have free rein ... :D

The land is lovely with views across vineyards right to the mountains.

Hope to stop for a while as even my conveyancer calls me a gypsy.

Hey, Ideo - we could be nearly neighbours! Although my budget didn't stretch to Hanging Tree. Possums Retreat was up on our highly potential list, along with Eight Paws onTalga Rd going to auction this weekend.

We've got an agreement with the vendor that he will tend the vines in exchange for the fruit, to be renewed after each harvest ... it'll take us a year to settle in and test some garlic varieties

Last edited:
Just a quick update on my blackberry fields. I decided to just slash it all and keep on slashing when they try to sprout up again until they give up and die. I really didn't want to use pesticides. Did the first lot of slashing about a month ago and it looks so much better now :)

Those blackberry bushes will love the slashing. They are going to keep sending out suckers and getting bigger and bigger.

I suspect that perhaps they have previously been controlled by the former owner of the land. If uncontrolled, they will be an impenetrable 2 or 3 metre high mass, with a massive butt in the middle a foot wide that would not be able to be slashed with a tractor, without damaging the machinery. That's why I suggested a bulldozer in a previous post.

They are a noxious weed and declared a weed of national significance. You can be fined if your not controlling them.

If your not going to poison them, the only other method you could think about would be running goats. Goats will eat them. However then you will be up for an enormous expense improving the fences to keep the goats on your place and not everywhere else about the district.

If the blackberrys were able to be slashed without destroying the tractor and slasher, it should be an easy job to poison them still. But it won't be easy when they are 3 metres high and become an impenetrable mass.

Good luck.

See ya's.

Hey TC, There was also a lot of St John's Wort, which I read is bad even for goats. I really wanted to at least slash first so that I could see what the land looked like under all the bracken, and so I could access the fences, etc. If slashing doesn't control it, I'll guess I'll have to consider pesticides or bulldozing, but there is a small creek, a spring, and a few wallabies, emus, etc. that I really don't want to be feeding chemicals to. But don 't worry, I'll keep on top of it and if it needs something harsher, I'll get it done.

Any before and afters? You've been really busy! Have you decided what you're going to do after you've slashed and burned?

I'll post some soon. Pics are on the other laptop that DH had to take to work. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. At the moment I'm waiting for my conveyencer to do a bunch of searches to see if there's a loophole that means I have an existing building entitlement. If not I'll think about applying to have it rezoned, or maybe just wait for 10 years or so until town spreads further and it (hopefully) gets rezoned anyway. And if none of that happens, then it'll be a horse paddock just out of town that maybe one day our kids can muck around in :)

I was about to suggest goats.

My parents have 5 acres or so and goats are the only thing that keeps both privet and blackberries in check.

Even they don't really touch lantana.

Lizzie - Yeah, my budget no where near stretches to that place! I really love it though. I'm sure you'll make that place somewhere even nicer.

http://biodynamics.net.au/resources/solutions-for-st-johns-wort/

then scroll down to the blackberry stuff

Hey TC, There was also a lot of St John's Wort, which I read is bad even for goats. I really wanted to at least slash first so that I could see what the land looked like under all the bracken, and so I could access the fences, etc. If slashing doesn't control it, I'll guess I'll have to consider pesticides or bulldozing, but there is a small creek, a spring, and a few wallabies, emus, etc. that I really don't want to be feeding chemicals to. But don 't worry, I'll keep on top of it and if it needs something harsher, I'll get it done.

Got a random phone call today from a bloke who wants my St Johns Wort. Apparently he harvests the stuff from a few locals and sells to herbalists. Demand was so strong this year that he's now going to start selling overseas. Good for him. If he can make money out of someone else's weeds, while doing them the favour of keeping the weeds under control, then that's a lovely, mutually beneficial arrangement :)

Back