Random Rental Remedies

Thought I'd pass on a useful idea given to me last night, along with some other random thoughts off the top of my head (while typing with one hand and eating toast with the other!) Maybe others have some practical ideas/hints not normally found in property management handbooks that they'd like to post.

• sign your name on the lease etc (that tenants see) in one way and sign the bond lodgement form in another. Difficult then for tenants to forge your signature and walk out of the Tenancies branch with a bond cheque. It happens apparently!

• Many tenants are happy to keep the lawns green but exactly zero percent are interested in the state of your footings! I have therefore installed automatic watering systems round my old houses to maintain even moisture content year round. This has reduced movement and cracking significantly, particularly in suburbs where the council thoughtfully planted ironbarks etc in the 70s. I'm told these suck out something like 1000 litres of water a day!

• Will be advertising an inner-city house for rent this weekend using "rent neg from..." method described in a previous post. Applicants fill in what they are willing to pay along with providing all their details etc. Works best in an open inspection scenario to get some healthy competition in a tight market. As I'm looking for $290+ pw, it will be interesting to see if anyone is willing to break the $300 pw barrier.

• I try always to see tenants as customers. I attend to their needs immediately and do nice things for them whenever possible (housewarming / Xmas present etc). In turn, they look after your property better, are willing to give you access at any time and often want to stay with you - I've had tenants move from one IP to another and am looking now for a house for a tenant who wants to live alone.

Michele

PS. Anyone know how to get crumbs out of a keyboard???

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Hold it upside down and shake vigorously. Or if using the blow method, wear childrens swimming goggles to protect eyes.

TW.
~Life is a daring adventure, or nothing at all~

Reply: 2

Hi Michele
You have some good ideas there.
I agree that tenants are like customers. Offer them great customer service and you reap the rewards - just like in any business.
Julie

Reply: 1.1

Hey, great suggestion TW! I got one of those trendy see-through mac keyboards - so now I can see the crumbs through the plastic!

Another rental remedy just came to mind - electrocution of tenants! Always best to avoid this. Install those automatic safety switches and make sure there's nothing to trip over either. Always, always make sure you can't be shown to have been negligent.

Michele

Reply: 3

Michelle, Do please let us know how you fared with the "rent neg. from..." idea and whether anyone did break the $300 p.w. barrier.
Warmly,
Seagull.

On 5/10/01 8:35:00 AM, Michele B wrote:
>Thought I'd pass on a useful
>idea given to me last night,
>along with some other random
>thoughts off the top of my
>head (while typing with one
>hand and eating toast with the
>other!) Maybe others have some
>practical ideas/hints not
>normally found in property
>management handbooks that
>they'd like to post.
>
>• sign your name on the lease
>etc (that tenants see) in one
>way and sign the bond
>lodgement form in another.
>Difficult then for tenants to
>forge your signature and walk
>out of the Tenancies branch
>with a bond cheque. It happens
>apparently!
>
>• Many tenants are happy to
>keep the lawns green but
>exactly zero percent are
>interested in the state of
>your footings! I have
>therefore installed automatic
>watering systems round my old
>houses to maintain even
>moisture content year round.
>This has reduced movement and
>cracking significantly,
>particularly in suburbs where
>the council thoughtfully
>planted ironbarks etc in the
>70s. I'm told these suck out
>something like 1000 litres of
>water a day!
>
>• Will be advertising an
>inner-city house for rent this
>weekend using "rent neg
>from..." method described in a
>previous post. Applicants
>fill in what they are willing
>to pay along with providing
>all their details etc. Works
>best in an open inspection
>scenario to get some healthy
>competition in a tight market.
>As I'm looking for $290+ pw,
>it will be interesting to see
>if anyone is willing to break
>the $300 pw barrier.
>
>• I try always to see tenants
>as customers. I attend to
>their needs immediately and do
>nice things for them whenever
>possible (housewarming / Xmas
>present etc). In turn, they
>look after your property
>better, are willing to give
>you access at any time and
>often want to stay with you -
>I've had tenants move from one
>IP to another and am looking
>now for a house for a tenant
>who wants to live alone.
>
>Michele
>
>PS. Anyone know how to get
>crumbs out of a keyboard???

Reply: 3.1

crumbs aren't a problem for the hoover,its the coffee inside the keyboard!!!!

Reply: 2.1

I'll have to change my handle to devil's advocate, but...

great customer service is not the goal of the landlord.

Yes, fire any property manager that loses tenants through inadequacy.

Yes, under-promise and over-deliver.

Yes, surprise you customers.

but carefully look at the costs of providing outstanding customer service if you are not going to earn outstanding returns.

As much as we'd all like to receive Ritz service most people are not willing to pay for it.

Residential real estate lettings is a relatively efficient market. will tenants really care that you gave them flowers on their birthday? Will they care enough to pay you "CPI or market" rent increases?

$0.02

Dreamspinner
Oz Film Biz is at
http://www.healey.com.au/~paulz

Reply: 2.1.1

Paul
Doesn't cost anything to create a few warm fuzzies! And we're not talking flowers on birthdays - just good, efficient and friendly service. And yes I think it pays off. I routinely increase rents and push them to the uppermost limits(!) with no complaint.

I take your point though Paul. And thanks for taking the time to comment - it's the diverse points of view on this forum that make it so valuable and interesting.

Michele

Reply: 3.2

Michele
I'm with you all the way. Warm & Fuzzy doesn't cost much and it really pays off.
It's nice to have happy tenants.
Julie

Back