Rant- What to expect of a new apartment? It's not clean

Rant warning in the title

So, my apartment settled today.

It supposed to be brand new, and during pre-settlement inspection several days ago. Some parts are not up to par, like the skirting board not aligned with the carpet, dirty, yellow mark on laundry, etc etc

Settled today, checked the apartment, almost nothing has changed.
Called them today, and they said "we have 90 days to fix it per contract" and "we're very busy with pre-settlement inspection"

:mad: Fine, I'll wait since "it doesn't affect my ability to move in or getting a tenant"

But I can't accept dirty! It's suppose to be a new place where the buyer can move in, not going in and clean the place

Grrrr. I'll complain and annoy them for a while

Rant over

Joys of buying new.

Wait till you find problems like water leaks and other faults once the tenants move in! (not trying to scare you - just be prepared. Again the builder will give you the "we have x days as per the contract and hope you forget to chase us" line)

The Y-man

My friend bought a new home in Ellenbrook just 6 months ago, already she's had the builder back to replace the entire floor in the kitchen/loungeroom, and to fix cracking plaster around the doors.

Just talked to them again. They'll get a cleaner in, but might not be done by tomorrow.

I also sent a stern message that if third party cleaner is going to be involved, it's going to be payable by them, as it's not in acceptable 'clean' condition even if we're going to give it to a tenant.

@Y Man
The sad note, I'm the one moving in, it's PPOR. The bright note? I have very good memory. They'll hear from me until the day they fix up everything, and a couple more times after that.

@Tula
:eek: as long as the builder pay. I remember for any contact signed before 2012, the builder have 7 years responsibility for structural and non structural defects? Or is this just for house and not apartment?

@Y Man
The sad note, I'm the one moving in, it's PPOR. The bright note? I have very good memory. They'll hear from me until the day they fix up everything, and a couple more times after that.

Remember that the builder can disappear strategicly (unless they are a big listed company like multiplex etc)

The Y-man

Remember that the builder can disappear strategicly (unless they are a big listed company like multiplex etc)

The Y-man

With 3 building still in progress next to me for 2016 completions, and another project in Sydney, they won't be invisible for sometime ;)

Not always the case. The building company working for Ralan in St Leonards had gone broke with $30m debt. They are building multi storey units so there's no HOW safety net.

Also, in big projects the developer may be using different builders on various projects - so if the builder disappears, the developer says "Away from me, I never knew you"

The Y-man

As long as my building is done :eek: - the project is about 95% sold out so I hope they don't fold till then. Even so, mine is the 1st building, they just need to do final stuff.

Cleaner will come today, or they'll hear an earful from me. Still looking for removalist though :-/

Heard about Ralan, all bad. Some workers were handing brochure in Chatswood station on how they're not being paid. One of bank lender mentioned that he rented a supposedly new apartment (built by Ralan) with long black paint mark in the middle of living room, and another said Ralan application for $ milions loan were rejected :eek:

Back