Rates - council and water. Are some areas really as bad as people claim.

There has been many posts about some areas being more expensive than neighbouring councils and best to buy somewhere else, but I am wondering if after taking everything into perspective they are really all that much different.

For example, there has been many posts about Ipswich being very expensive, but when I was looking at some houses there recently it seemed they were not much different to Logan or Moreton Bay. However all 3 seem to be dearer than outer areas of Sydney, at least the ones I've looked at, and regionals seem to be considerably cheaper.

But are we comparing apples with apples. Even in the same council we have different land values which will have an impact on rates, and the amount of water usage is also relevant.

So I thought it might be time to really see how rates stack up across the country!

Relevant matters:
Council rates - last qtr.
Rateable value (UCV) of land.
Land size (just for info as reflected in land value).
Water rates - last qtr/bill. Total of fixed and usage.
Water consumption - kL

Some councils are combined. Don't include discounts or tenant reimbursement. PPOR can be included but only if council does not charge less than IP's. Houses only at this point as units are rated differently to houses.

I will kick it of with -
Moreton Bay
Council rates $297.90
UCV $123k
405m
Unity Water $288 (currently 1 ppl, $330-$340 about the norm for 2 ppl previously)
usage 14 kL

This is an average of $2340 pa, or $2540 with 2 tenants using water which is a bit more realistic for the average smaller house.

You will find that the rates charged by councils in newer areas to be higher as there is a growing need to build community facilities to meet the needs of all the new housing whereas established communities have the facilities and are looking at maintenance and replacement due to the different stages in their life cycle.

Just a reminder, the details of the property and water usage are needed (refer to 1st post) to compare the rates on an apples with apples basis to get an idea of costs - so we are not comparing the rates on 1200m block in Point Piper with a mansion on it and a small 2 bed cottage on 500m block in Cessnock. And point Scott made is also relevant, but large councils with new and established would result in an average price.

Last edited:
Back