Rats !!!

BIG FURRY ONES :eek:

Hi all,

Live in a semi rural area and we have huge rats in our shed/garage.

Our cat would be catching one a week but thats not enough, still have heaps of them.

I'm making sure all farm animal feed is out of reach. Have laid baits but I'm after a more effective way of keeping them at bay.

We have chooks which i'm sure doesn't help:D

I was thinking about those electronic thingos that plug into your powerpoint and let out a "noise" that the rats don't like and go elsewhere. Anybody had experience with these??

Cheers

GG

You need to invest in a better cat.

Ours is a prime mouser - we don't have mice at all but *someone* around here does (probably the neighbours with a dozen chooks 2 doors down) and she brings 1 or 2 mice home every freakin day to share the experience of eating with us.

We used to have mice before we got her ...

You need to invest in a better cat.

Ours is a prime mouser - we don't have mice at all but *someone* around here does (probably the neighbours with a dozen chooks 2 doors down) and she brings 1 or 2 mice home every freakin day to share the experience of eating with us.

We used to have mice before we got her ...

These RATS are just over half the size of the cat, so he is doing a good job. :D

GG

We had a similar problem in our shed, a product called Tomcat sorted them out quickly! Purchased from Elders, I think it was around $50 for a couple of kg bucket. Well worth it.

Yeah your cat isn't paying his way. When we moved into our house the first winter we heard footsteps in the loft space very often. I got up there with the cat in one had and poison in the other. He did a whip round then i laid poison as the massive trap i laid wasn't enough, they just struggled out of it! :eek:

Anyhow this winter just gone....NO RATS, just lots that James (Cat) brings into the kitchen to play with :eek:.

I spoke with the neighbours and 2 of them said the same thing, no more rats in there roofs!

James is a legend, in the season he averages about 4 a week if not more, the little girl cat helps with the mice too :p

Hire - A - Cat? :D

Does the fixed greased broomstick with banana bait at end suspended over a tub of water work on rats? I heard it does on mice. Maybe Topcropper will know.

These RATS are just over half the size of the cat, so he is doing a good job. :D
Pft, I had a cat a few years back that used to catch rats (and leave half rats in front of the fridge so I trod on them barefoot when reaching for the milk - when I was half asleep before I had my coffee). She was a tiny little runt of a cat, so the rats were almost as big as her :p

We don't have rats here. If we did, our current cat would be in 7th heaven. We've sent her into the roof space to clear out birds too.

Maybe you should stop feeding your cat :D

Does the fixed greased broomstick with banana bait at end suspended over a tub of water work on rats? I heard it does on mice. Maybe Topcropper will know.
Before I got our cat I had a bucket of water inside for some reason when I was away and something sticking over the edge of a bench over it and several of them fell in and drowned, so there really is something to this. I didn't even do it deliberately. You have to have the water deeper than rodent + half tail or they don't drown ... prolly a garbage bin of water would be the go.

BIG FURRY ONES :eek:

Hi all,

Live in a semi rural area and we have huge rats in our shed/garage.

GG

I use a Ratzapper http://www.ratzapper.com.au with great success - but only to catch mice and very large cockroaches :eek:.

It's battery operated and zaps the mouse / rat as it treads on the plate to reach the bait (a piece of Vitaweat cracker, in this case). A light flashes if you have a kill.

You have to clear them every day (i.e. just tip the creature into the bin) as the plate must be kept dry, and a rotting body would really stuff things up.

cheers

Back