Ray White Payment Gateway fee -- anyone use this system?

I recall reading recently a case where the tenant took the agency to the tribunal over the additional charge of $1.95 & won.

Yep, that's right. I think it was Victorian and between the tenant and RW. Edit - http://www.rpmonline.com.au/news/11701-tenant-takes-landlord-to-court-over-1-65

Charges equalled $13 odd over a number of months.

In Victoria the tenant cannot be forced to pay their rent in a specific way. Which is why either the landlord or agency needs to provide a free payment method, and if any charges are associated with this they must be paid by the agency or landlord.

gateway

i am now renting with Ray white, and have been told i am required to use this gateway service, i have completed the paper work over 2 weeks ago but still Haven't received anything form them. Do they send out paper to say they have received your paper work and banking details?

Not very impressed so far.

This is ridiculous. Ray White cannot charge the tenants a fee for paying their rent. They should read the legislation no tenant can be charged any extra fees or charges for paying their rent.

There have been cases where tenants have been charged found out later down the track gone to Civil Court for compensation from the LL and won.

The legislation protects the tenant from this sort of thing, any costs incurred by transferring funds cannot be passed onto the tenant they must be born by the Agent or the LL if they are forced to pay the rent a certain way.

I don not understand why a company of this size can do this sort of thing and get away with it. They are compromising not just themselves but the owners who at the end of the day can cop it as well

This is ridiculous. Ray White cannot charge the tenants a fee for paying their rent. They should read the legislation no tenant can be charged any extra fees or charges for paying their rent.

There have been cases where tenants have been charged found out later down the track gone to Civil Court for compensation from the LL and won.

The legislation protects the tenant from this sort of thing, any costs incurred by transferring funds cannot be passed onto the tenant they must be born by the Agent or the LL if they are forced to pay the rent a certain way.

I don not understand why a company of this size can do this sort of thing and get away with it. They are compromising not just themselves but the owners who at the end of the day can cop it as well

They do most likely offer a free method of payment as required.

My guess is that they offer the cash option meaning the tenant has to come into the office to pay and the alternative is to use their system which charges them per transaction.

This way people have to choose between free or convenience and pay the price.

They do most likely offer a free method of payment as required.

My guess is that they offer the cash option meaning the tenant has to come into the office to pay and the alternative is to use their system which charges them per transaction.

This way people have to choose between free or convenience and pay the price.
ha, don't think so. If allowing cash payments you have all kinds of security issues handling large sums of rental payments. They will have a trust account you can direct deposit your rent into. Sometimes you just need to ask for it and show em the legislation.

I have been renting with Ray White for about 3 years now and never paid any fee with rent. They don't have direct deposit to their trust account but they use DEFT (Macquarie Bank Gateway). Paying by Debit and Credit card to this DEFT system incur charges but paying by BPAY doesn't.

If you read your lease carefully, there would be clause that by law REAgents/landlord have to provide at least one method of paying rent which doesn't incur any charges. Refer to this http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/maintop/view/inforce/act+42+2010+cd+0+N

It's not ray white it's actually a third party. How weber new legislation states that there is not allowed to be a few for direct debit set up or payments now.

It's actually a condition of the lease that tenants must be provided with a way to pay their rent that doesn't incur them a fee. It's at the bottom of the first page on standard leases.

I work for Ray White too and looked into Payment Gateway. It would be different if it was an annual charge but it's a lot of money per transaction - especially if paying weekly!

The option to direct debit should still be available but each office is individually owned and run. It shouldn't be up to the landlord or tenant to pay the fee.

Back