RBA?s Glenn Stevens urges action to avoid property ?bust?

But my point is more towards Australia and New Zealand. We are both Young countries, clean and healthy, fresh and sort of an escape from some of the big over populated cities in the world. Lots of people want to live in Australia and NZ, and too me that is why the house price vs income is high. I think people will continue to choose Australia and NZ over other countries
That's bcause we are waay too lenient about who and how many come here.

It'll bite us in the @rse - Just like England.

Japan isn't booming because the population is in decline. Every year there are fewer people competing for the same pool of homes. Supply will always exceed demand.

They'd be doing a lot better if they're not always trying to go war with their most important neighbour of 5000 years.

Does anyone know what the story with Belgium is?

I worked in the Netherlands just before the GFC, and Belgium used to be a lot cheaper to buy or rent property in. In fact, it wasn't uncommon for the Dutch to live across the border, and commute in each day.

In fact, a quick Google reveals an article by Deloitte claiming Belgium is more affordable than the UK.

My guess would be that prices are high in comparison to rents, and that's what's skewing the figures. Or there's a piece of bad data.

Oh, for fun Google Baarle Nassau and Baarle Hertog. It's a region in the south of the Netherlands that is, in part, sovereign Belgian territory. Apparently some houses have doors on either side of the border, and depending on the prevailing tax laws will brick one or the other up to get a better deal.

Japan isn't booming because the population is in decline. Every year there are fewer people competing for the same pool of homes. Supply will always exceed demand.

japancensus1.png

Apparently...and interesting when Japan is cited

Japan is shrinking at a record pace. The country lost 244,000 people in 2013 as births plunged and deaths soared. It faces the prospect of losing a third of its population in the next 50 years, raising fears about its economic prospects and labor market.

As I said, if the Japanese were smarter they'd stop going to war with their neighbours and in fact welcome their investment and immigration. And also try to blend into the world a bit more.

They've also had a dreadful run on governments and then natural disasters!
Still the Japanese being as they are, they will no doubt make a come-back and remind us that bigger isn't always best.
No doubt in my mind that they are the most sophisticated people on the planet.
Could be the end of poverty in Japan.

Yeh im probably wrong with the other countries, i just had a look in the top half and in my eyes the countries where much more desirable to live in than the bottom half.

But my point is more towards Australia and New Zealand. We are both Young countries, clean and healthy, fresh and sort of an escape from some of the big over populated cities in the world. Lots of people want to live in Australia and NZ, and too me that is why the house price vs income is high. I think people will continue to choose Australia and NZ over other countries and therefore the house price vs income will be sustainable, no?

Hmm interesting theory. I think it may be one factor in it.

Regulations on foreign purchases may be a big point of difference between countries.

japancensus1.png

Apparently...and interesting when Japan is cited

Population - and a deflation trap that they've been in for the better part of two decades.

Very good modern story on the dangers of deflation. Can understand the advanced economies fear of it by looking at Japan as an example.

Deflation trap costs on the Japanese (theoritical):

Reduces growth and flow through effects to standard of living: Consumers/investors have less activity because they know their dollar will purchase more tomorrow.

They enjoy a very high standard of living already though, but they've slipped largely on a relative scale.

Deflation trap costs on the Japanese (theoritical):

Reduces growth and flow through effects to standard of living: Consumers/investors have less activity because they know their dollar will purchase more tomorrow.

They enjoy a very high standard of living already though, but they've slipped largely on a relative scale.

They still have very good environment, superior building standards (to withstand natural disasters more than anything), superior food quality (minus nuclear fish), superior consumer society and goods, leading technology at least at a consumer level. Not sure many first-world countries can boast the same.

Tokyo is at various points ranked as having the most millionaires in the world I think - more than NYC, London, HK, Singapore, Shanghai, Paris.

Back