RBA set to hold interest rates - but don't celebrate just yet

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,12110054%5E643,00.html

RBA set to hold interest rates
Inflation will rise, writes virtual economist Henry Thornton
February 01, 2005
WE'D better say it upfront. The RBA will not change interest rates in February.

There are insufficiently tangible signs yet of the surge in inflation that lies ahead, especially if the exchange rate crumbles. But the drums are beating as capacity constraints emerge.

We say the rise in inflation (as well as currency depreciation) is a matter of when, not if, due to Australia's propensity to run an easy monetary policy. This is the reason we now believe Australia's monetary policy is in the hands of the market, not the Reserve Bank.

Markets were kinder than they might have been over the holiday season. After the Christmas speculation that the US dollar was all but doomed, in January it bounced. This was a dead cat bounce, but a bounce nonetheless, and Australian policy makers were able to bask in the sun.

Then the December quarter inflation result -- slightly above expectations and above the mid-point in the target range -- woke markets from their slumber. Skills in short supply in many sectors will inevitably produce additional cost pressures.

The professional pundits and commentators, left to think for themselves over the holiday period, had broken out in discord.

Now, many people are beginning to think in a more hawkish way, and the press is beginning to warn of an imminent monetary tightening. Some in the market, and perhaps the Reserve Bank, do still worry about a crumbling in demand.

Private bank employees are especially uncritical as their employers curry favour with the Government, the seller of the next big block of Telstra shares. But most recognise what we have said all along, that the next move is up and ought to have occurred already. It will happen before June.

The Reserve Bank rested on its laurels through 2004 and did not change interest rates.

The Reserve Bank's boosters say this was brilliant management. In the event, the slight tightening in late 2003 certainly slowed the housing market, but little else.

Domestic demand did not crumble. Instead aggregate demand remained too strong through the year, the current account deficit blew out to record levels and the housing sector is now showing signs of revival rather than continuing to pull back as the dream script had suggested.

There is a straightforward description of Australian monetary policy in 2004 -- "the dash for growth". Apart from the big imbalances of the current account deficit and overvalued housing, there were other warning signs in 2004 -- the worryingly fast pace of growth of the prices of non-tradables, the excessive growth in demand for and supply of credit and the tightening in the labour market.

All the warning signs are now coming back to haunt the Reserve.

Demand has been too high for too long, but now supply (drastically less than demand in any event) has hit capacity constraints.

The current account deficit, overvalued house prices and other signs of economic imbalance should have prompted tightening when the global outlook was favourable. Now the outlook is less favourable, with the edge expected to come off the global economy as the US tightens further its monetary policy.

The Reserve Bank faces choosing between two unhappy scenarios -- to tighten in an attempt to regain control of the economy or to leave the job to the market.

Of course, Australia may stay lucky and markets may be kind.

If so, we may muddle through with a few jarring bumps. But the big risk is that the current account deficit expands still further from its present unsustainable levels. The graph shows our guess that the current account deficit is likely to reach 7 per cent of GDP in the current year.

If such a forecast becomes widely accepted, this is likely to make international investors think the Australian dollar, and Australian assets generally, are greatly overvalued.

The Government would be quite wrong to be looking to Labor's leadership chaos to determine whether the seas ahead are rough or smooth, or what dangers lie beneath.

There is, however, one event that would validate the "dash for growth" -- another burst of serious economic reform.

Suppose the Government said it would grasp the nettle of radical tax and welfare reform, following the lead of its courageous backbench ginger group (and most economists). This would have an extraordinary, positive effect on the economy and incomes in the long run.

It would be well worth the short-run cost: both Henry Thornton and a responsible central bank would also have to warn that the likely euphoric reaction in capital markets would force an Inflation Plus-targeting central bank to raise interest rates (see explanation in box).

Might the Reserve Bank be brave enough to give advice in support of tax and welfare reform? It intervened in the late 1990s to tell the Treasury to stop selling the Australian dollar when it was panicked into closing its speculative debt-management hedging positions.

And it advised treasurer Keating in the mid-1980s to tighten monetary policy, cut wages and move the budget from deficit to surplus.

Now it needs to persuade the Government that a higher dollar as a result of a fundamental shift in the terms of trade and a fundamental improvement in the structure of government intervention (lower taxes and less welfare spending) is something that should be welcomed, even if the side-effect is that macro-economic policy will have to be adjusted to achieve an acceptable balance between supply and demand (also known as the current account deficit).

The policy reform would of course also make financing a larger current account deficit easier, by attracting additional capital inflow as the potential rewards for investment in Australia increased.

Henry will applaud if the Government does grasp the stick of radical tax and welfare reform.

If the Reserve Bank in that circumstance had to further tighten monetary policy, we would acknowledge that it was strong fundamentals driving interest rates higher.

In the absence of that next logical step in economic reform, interest rates will be forced higher for the much more traditional reason that aggregate demand exceeds aggregate supply and the outcome will not be pleasant.

It's all propaganda. I trust that all on this forum can at least tell the difference between facts and opinions. That being said I am beginning to doubt that I can (the media has improved their skills whilst dropping their ethics)

I think its a good article with many valid points. The next interest rate move is up and with continuing upward pressure rather than down. And if we think we have seen a fall in property prices, theres more to come.

Yep,

Good article. I agree that pressure on rates is all upwards and we ain't seen nothing yet. Also agree we need some reform of taxes and welfare if we're to improve our fundamentals. I pay more in income tax than the median income, and yes it does bug me. I thought this was a liberal (right) government? What ever happened to GST replacing income taxes...

Michael.

buzzlightyear said:
Where does he get that?

Check the Hearld Sun in Melbourne last Saturday. It had housing prices and some areas had increased by >20%. Not sure what the average was for the state but house prices weren't dropping according to those figures.

David

The biggest threat to interest rate rises is the increase in wages. I know wages are increasing - my husband has a recruitment company. He just lost a placement because the employee was given a massive payrise and promotion to stay put. Employers are finding it difficult to hang onto skilled staff - either pay up or they're gone. Good if you're an employee, bad if you're an employer.
Dont ya just love the economic cycle!

cheers Sharyn

I wonder if the scenario may play out like this: continuing large trade deficit, large devaluation in AUD, thus allowing the RBA room to put up interest rates and try put a dampener on housing. This would hopefully reduce some of the demand and growing wage claims and put the brakes on a little- reduce inflationary pressures.

Jamie said:
What's a "virtual" economist?
Hnery Thornton was a real economist in the 1800s or so. His name is a pen name used by a current, self-described "eminent economist". No idea who, not that I care.

One interesting aspect was the prospect of the RBA lowering interest rates to improve the current account deficit (CAD).

The basic idea is that lower interest rate leads to outflow of capital seeking higher interest rates leads to selling off of $A leads to lower exchange rate leads to improved exports and reduced imports, lags ignored and all other things being equal. Oh, and world peace breaks out around that time too. :rolleyes:

The RBA has said that it doesn't really think interest rates are a good method of controlling the CAD, and history shows them to be pretty right. Lower interest rates stimulate business investment which raises imports. But, as we saw above, imports are also being lowered.

Interest rates are OK at affecting the $A value - but not causally, just influencing it. (The interest rate crisis in the 1980s was a least partly a totally unsuccessful 'defence' of the Aussie.)

This explains the RBA's 'softly, softly' approach - they recognise the limitations they face, and jawboning the market is often more effective than moving the levers. All in all, I think we're pretty fortunate to have such an independent and realistic central bank.

5 year bond rates from the RBA statistics site have nudged back from 5.05% range to 5.25% range. The bond market seems neutral on rates right now.

Ausprop said:
neutral... or just don't know?
I'm not an economist so I should say don't know for sure. My gut feeling is neutral. If the long term view of the economy says that return on a bond in five years is about the same as the overnight cash rate, then the bond market isn't thinking the economy is going to be super crash-hot better in five years. There's decent growth still, but nothing too major. So price the bonds accordingly.

This is my reading of the tea leaves that I can see from where I'm sitting.

Rates will rise soon I say.myabe even March.

last time there was talk in Sept and Oct befroe the rise in Nov and Dec. Talk asks to slow in itself so talk is useful.

I base my opinion on the the fundamentals of low unemployment, high demand, and high consumer confidence. Unemployment in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney is offically 2%. The world is demanding resopurces and we have em.

Like the beer ad, it is all good.

Even the risk of fuel going crazy to $1.50 a litre has gone and we are all accepting 90c to $1 a litre without a blink.
Coupled with more fuel efficient cars we are buying in record numbers it evens out.

I have always said, low interest rates, and 7% is low does more to put cash in the pocket of the average family than any baby bonus, welfare this and that.

Will we ever see 10% again. I dont know? We seemed to be linked to the wolds so much nowadays it is like we are in a much larger pond so the rocks dropped in don't ripple as much.

And when you consider the growth of china, which the Gov predicts medium income to triple in 10 years mutiplied by the population we are only a small cog in the economic wheel.

But Aust is primed for sucess. Unlike Germany where Opel workers are being told accept a 10 year wage freeze or we close the factory we dont complete on luxury cars but minerals and food. All of which you need to have to sell.

My two cents and a bit, Peter 147

Interest Rise

Domestic Housing prices seem to be big driver in the past for a rise.
Yes I agree the China economy is a big driver for our enconomy but only for the resource strong States like WA.
This is currently reflected in the demand for housing in that State compared to others.
My guess is the interest rates will stay the same for at least 12 months, well st least till we see Sydney and Melbourne back on track.
In the mean time Im going to be riding the gravy train in WA for the next five years

;) .

madmurf said:
Domestic Housing prices seem to be big driver in the past for a rise.
Yes I agree the China economy is a big driver for our enconomy but only for the resource strong States like WA.
This is currently reflected in the demand for housing in that State compared to others.
My guess is the interest rates will stay the same for at least 12 months, well st least till we see Sydney and Melbourne back on track.
In the mean time Im going to be riding the gravy train in WA for the next five years

;) .

The mining economy has flow on to every state in indirect benefits. Investors in Sydney seeing rises in share prices, brokers selling those shares, manufacturers supplying parts, the Fed gov taking GST on sales and income tax and spending it on new ring roads around Sydney, etc.. It is one big circle.

As for

It is not off track. Market had rises say 80% to drop 15%. Thats still 65% growth to a median home of around $450k. A lot of wealth there so a lot of consumption which RBA will be looking to control.

Peter 147

Back