RCD - Connected to my power but not my lights

Just found out from the electrician that my RCD is connected to my power but not to my lights. My PPOR unit complex are installing a whole new switchboard and the cost per unit is $650.

I was told that each owner has to pay the $650 however you will be refunded if you already have an RCD. I wonder if I will get a refund now seeing I already have an rcd connected to my power (however its not connected to my lights)

Hoping i'll get a full refund or part refund! Anyone know anything about RCD's and can help me?

thanks

Not an electrician - but I seem to recall when chatting to an electrician doing some work on our powerboard, he said that lights do not get connected to the RCD circuits.

I think the reasoning is that if you have a faulty device (most often a kettle with bad wiring it seems!), you don't want to be losing your lights every time the RCD trips.

I'm sure one of our resident sparkies can confirm or deny.

hmmm interesting. ok

lol before today i didnt even realise that i had an RCD so i was happy to learn i have got one. so hopefully i'll get a refund.

the electrician was there inspecting the switchboard and will be working on it for the next few days and i should know a bit more then.

Australian Standards require RCD to be fitted to power AND light circuits.

AS3000:2007+A1 2.6.3.2

2.6.3.2.1 Australia
Additional protection by RCDs with a maximum rated residual current of
30 mA shall be provided for—
(a) final subcircuits supplying socket-outlets where the rated current of any
individual socket-outlet does not exceed 20 A; and
(b) final subcircuits supplying lighting where any portion of the circuit has a
rated current not exceeding 20 A;
and
© final subcircuits supplying directly connected hand-held electrical
equipment, e.g. hair dryers or tools.
NOTE: The final subcircuits referred to in Item (b) include, without limitation,
those supplying the following equipment:
(a) External lighting installations, such as bollard-type luminaires.
(b) Illuminated signs.
© In-ground lighting.
(d) Ground-mounted lighting for the illumination of public features.

Ideally you would have 2 RCD's, one for high leakage areas eg kitchen, and another for lights/bedrooms.

Ideally you would have 2 RCD's, one for high leakage areas eg kitchen, and another for lights/bedrooms.

cool ok thanks :)

so hopefully/maybe will get half of the $650 back. i'll guess I'll just have to wait and see what the bill will be!

i have no idea how they will re-configure the switchboard. im thinking they somehow will pull out the rcds that are already there and set them up in the new switchboard housing along with the new rcds. hmmm dunno how they go about it. anyway, now its a waiting game to find out what the cost will be.

It is only a recent invention for lights to be RCD protected. It had only been power circuits that were protected.

Tools

If their is more than 1 light circuit its is a requirement for them to be on separate RCD's to prevent total loss of lights.

right ok

ot (off topic)
ive had the last couple of days off and im glad i go back to work tomorrow (kind of) because the power will be off all day at my place. i timed it right when i booked my days off a couple of months ago lol :D

It is only a recent invention for lights to be RCD protected. It had only been power circuits that were protected.

Tools
That's my understanding as well.
In older installations I've seen 1 RCD protecting power points but in new ones they have 2, one for power and a separate 1 for lights

Recent changes to the regs over here in WA have made it compulsary to have RCD's fitted to both ie. 1 on the GPO circuit and one on the lighting circuit.
This applies to all rental properties, new and old.

that is under the new regs 3000:2007 under 3000:2000 you only required to have on power. now it is common to have an individual RCD for every power and light circuit so you dont loose power to everything in event of a trip.

Back