RE Agent advertising costs.

We are selling in the Western Suburbs of Melbourne (Point Cook)

We have a break down of some of the advertising costs and it is amazing how much the same thing can vary from agent to agent.

I am just wondering if anyone actually knows how much it costs them to list on realestate.com.au and domain.com.au. Also being charged to appear in their window.

Not trying to screw the agent down to the lowest amount possible I know they need to make their commission etc but the advertising extras I find a bit annoying when they vary from agent to agent.

Any tips appreciated.

The best advice I can give you from an experienced investor is do it your self.

I use landlords choice who list your property on RE.com.au and Domain for $299. I get my own signs made up and save b/w $15-20k a sale. Your conveyancer can arrange the sale contracts.

To advertise on RE.com.au you have to be a lic RE agent, so we get blocked. However the guys mentioned above are licenced so can provide the listing service.

keep in mind it is a bit more work, but RE agents these days are lazy and rely on these sites to generate interest. Why pay them 15-20k??? Up to you. I dont.

Hope this helps, and by no way am I affiliated with the above business, although my dealings with them have been exceptional.

Lukey

Does this work well with renting out properties?

As I am new to all this I am concerned what if I end up with bad tenants... as well as it may be time consuming with e.g. if something breaks down.

Appreciate your insignts.

Mona

I use landlords choice who list your property on RE.com.au and Domain for $299. I get my own signs made up and save b/w $15-20k a sale. Your conveyancer can arrange the sale contracts.

To advertise on RE.com.au you have to be a lic RE agent, so we get blocked. However the guys mentioned above are licenced so can provide the listing service.

keep in mind it is a bit more work, but RE agents these days are lazy and rely on these sites to generate interest. Why pay them 15-20k??? Up to you. I dont.

Hope this helps, and by no way am I affiliated with the above business, although my dealings with them have been exceptional.

Hi Mona,

I pers use a Property Manager for the reasons you list above, however there are quite alot of people who do it themselves if they have a bit of spare time.
As the costs are deductable I and the time and expense you would have to go through if you do get a horror tennant including going to VCAT I use a PM as a kind of insurance policy.

The disparity between the costs associated with managing a property and selling a property led me to seek out alternatives, hence my decision to undertake sale by owner.

Bottom line is if you have the time and are prepared to treat the property/s as a business then there is no reason you cant manage then yourself, just be aware that you will have to become quite conversant with the residential tennancy act.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your response Lukey...

Would love to save a few $$'s but don't have the time, and as you say need to get an understanding of the law.

Will be going through a property manager.

Hi Mona,

I pers use a Property Manager for the reasons you list above, however there are quite alot of people who do it themselves if they have a bit of spare time.
As the costs are deductable I and the time and expense you would have to go through if you do get a horror tennant including going to VCAT I use a PM as a kind of insurance policy.

The disparity between the costs associated with managing a property and selling a property led me to seek out alternatives, hence my decision to undertake sale by owner.

Bottom line is if you have the time and are prepared to treat the property/s as a business then there is no reason you cant manage then yourself, just be aware that you will have to become quite conversant with the residential tennancy act.

Hope this helps.

Have any others used this site ? I am comfortable with negotiations so I can see it working. As a buyer however I would probably ask why a private seller vs an agency if someone was using this service given it's unpopularity.

Success,
I am just now using Landlordschoice to find tenants myself. I would definitely use them if I was to sell our IP one day. What do you mean with 'unpopularity'? You use the these guys to advertise your property on realestate.com.au and domain.com.au, not to advertsise on their site, www.landlordschoice.com.au, if that's what you mean?

Your conveyancer can arrange the sale contracts.
FYI, in SA it turns out that to sell a house, it costs $350 for the sale contracts, $300ish for the searches and $400 for the actual conveyancing. Which is refreshingly cheap.

The catch being that you technically have to re-do the searches for each contract in case something has changed. I've been told they take about a week to do, depending on how snappy the council searches are.

I'm surprised there aren't more "For Sale by Owners" out there. The RE industry has truly gone to the pack! As a cashed-up buyer, I cannot for the life of me get an agent even to call me back. The last agent I spoke to about a block of units was dismissing me completely until I had to tell him ( in no uncertain terms I might add!) that I was a serious buyer.
Why do these young guns assume that a female voice on the phone is to be dismissed? Do females still have to suffer this sort of futile discrimination? I just "vote" with my feet in these instances - plenty of other prospects on the market to investigate anyway. Not wasting time with unprofessional people.

If I was selling any property at the mo I'd be very disappointed with the standard of service offered by RE agents presently.

By the way, I used to work for a very professional top RE agent, so I know the level of service a seller and buyer should expect. Very disappointing these days though.

Success,
I am just now using Landlordschoice to find tenants myself. I would definitely use them if I was to sell our IP one day. What do you mean with 'unpopularity'? You use the these guys to advertise your property on realestate.com.au and domain.com.au, not to advertsise on their site, www.landlordschoice.com.au, if that's what you mean?

What I mean is that "For Sale By Owner" is unheard of in Sydney's Eastern Suburbs ...

I was working as a PA to the director of a marketing company who worked only for real estate agents (she wrote the ad copy and organised brochures etc..) anyway we had a listing package that cost $645 which included brochures/window displays, advertising on realestate.com.au, domain, realestate1 and something else (?), photos, for sale board, ad copy and i think that was it.

Then for the paper it was like $175 for an 8th of a page, then there was extra charges for photo boards and extra brochures.

Personally though, the money you pay for advertising i worth it IF you have good photos/ad copy and an agent that does their job.

IF you find an agent that does their job.

I've had a house for sale for 6 months through an agent and 2 or 3 months privately, obviously nowhere near long enough to actually get a bite.

I have tenants though and it is impossible to sell a tenanted, cheap, nice house in the bush, agent or no agent. I'm going to lose a sale because of these blasted tenants, but without them there I bleed money in the years the house is for sale.

IF you find an agent that does their job.

I've had a house for sale for 6 months through an agent and 2 or 3 months privately, obviously nowhere near long enough to actually get a bite.

I have tenants though and it is impossible to sell a tenanted, cheap, nice house in the bush, agent or no agent. I'm going to lose a sale because of these blasted tenants, but without them there I bleed money in the years the house is for sale.

This is why I stay away from cheap regional IP's :cool:

Great cashflow however little to no CG :eek: This is where the real $$$'s are made.

I spent $5200 for just 4 week marketing by estate agent. Big sale sign with solar lighting, glossy brochure and magazine, 1/2 page Leader magazine and sold the house within 4 weeks. Other agent quoted me $1000 for marketing cost but I invested in marketing to get quick sale.

Note that I have to pay mortgage $2500/month. So, what I pay for if house is vacant because I save the marketing cost.

This is my situation not applies to all.

Back