Re-plastering roof

Hi folks,

The lathen roof plaster in the bedrooms of my IP is looking pretty cracked and starting to sag in places. It might be repairable although I'm concerned that if it deteriorates during a tenancy it will be a pain to repair. So I'm thinking of replacing it with gyprock - which has already been done in other rooms.

Anyone done this job themselves? I need to decide whether it's worthwhile attempting it or better to just get a plastered to do it. Any idea what it might cost to get this done professionally? I'll be getting some quotes but it will take some time as I want to wait until the property is vacant later in the year.

pd

Hi poordeveloper,

I have done plastering work before and it’s not hard just fiddly and takes time to get it right.

The professionals do it quicker and don’t end up costing a huge amount.

I would think in your case replacing the roof would be a better longer term option.

An option to try and keep the costs down would be for you to remove the old roof and hang the new plaster and then have a plaster finish the job off.

Hope this helps

My sentiments exactly. The setting (plastering of the gyprock joins) are difficult to get exactly right unless you know what you are doing.

They will stick out like the proverbial because of the lighting/shadowing on a white ceiling unless they are absolutely perfect.

Save money and pull down the laden plaster and gyprock it yourself and then get quotes for an expert to set it.

Your post reminded me of when i was living in outer London (NW10), the house backed onto a railway line which used to shake the house sometimes when the freight trains went past.

Anyway, about 3am one morning a train went past and about half the lathen plaster ceiling dropped off and hit the floor with a huge BANG. About 8 sq metres of it. It might have been as old as the house, maybe 100 years old.

I woke up, went running down the hall to girls screaming and a a room full of dust and plaster. Very funny.:D

An option to try and keep the costs down would be for you to remove the old roof and hang the new plaster and then have a plaster finish the job off.

Hope this helps

Hi folks,

The lathen roof plaster in the bedrooms of my IP is looking pretty cracked and starting to sag in places. It might be repairable although I'm concerned that if it deteriorates during a tenancy it will be a pain to repair. So I'm thinking of replacing it with gyprock - which has already been done in other rooms.

Anyone done this job themselves? I need to decide whether it's worthwhile attempting it or better to just get a plastered to do it. Any idea what it might cost to get this done professionally? I'll be getting some quotes but it will take some time as I want to wait until the property is vacant later in the year.

pd

dont mean to be picky but that would be the ceiling not the roof,and as another point its a lath wall/ceiling structure
this may seem anal but if you are going to use contractors in your project then any sign of weakness on your point will lead to the contractor trying to put it over you (you have been warned)

Back