re:- Proposing to the person I want to marry

cosplay club? lol you are a game man! I've seen japanese studio baby pics and it's well cute. Are you getting it done in Japan?

Yes, we're going to Tokyo for a holiday anyway, so we'll get the photos done while there.

The Japanese have raised 'cute' to an art form.
Alex

Now... Domyouji Tsukasa from HYD played by Matsumoto Jun is cute. :D

don't tell me you can do the para para dance too? lol

My GF and I have already talked about it. As far as the ring goes - she has her heart set on the one type she wants and can picture it already. She tried to tell me it CANNOT be a 'solitaire' cut.... hmmmm.... or was that it HAS to be a solitaire cut? :confused: Anyway, she was telling me that, and said her best friend can tell me cos she knows what ring she wants.

I've decided to (and told her this) let her pick the ring herself after I propose. For the proposal I'll just go to Zamels and buy a cheaper ring for a few hundred. Then she can get the one she wants either designed or bought. Win win - I get to surprise her, and she gets the ring she wants.

Hubby proposed after work while we were eating pizza, watching the 7.30 Report......very romantic!!

I picked the ring, I figure I wear it so I might as well choose one I love. Maybe we both lack the romance gene.

It took us another 2yrs to get married, but we're still married after 10yrs and couldn't be happier!

ETA: There is no reason to wait for a set period of time between engagement and wedding day. If I was to do this all again, I'd splash out and hire the dueling Elvis pair at the Graceland chapel in Vegas, then hit the blackjack tables!! We'd then come home and invite all our friends to a backyard BBQ reception.

Last edited:
My hubby proposed after we had bought the ring together. I would not recommend this - I suffered from "shitty sundays" every week for 4 months until he proposed! Eventually the proposal was a quick walk on the beach and he pulled the ring out of his pocket. No bended knee, I think after months of me getting crankier and crankier he was happy it was over and done with!

I would get a cheapie ring, or even a $10 ring from Diva or somewhere that sells costume jewellery. it is the moment that counts, not what you propose with. then you can both enjoy shopping for the ring. A girl I used to work with was proposed to with a ring picked out by her now-hubby. she hated the ring but didn't know how to tell him.

I don't get marriage these days.

women want equal access to education and work and wages........

they put a lot of men out of work doing so........

then they want rings and romance and restaurants in bulk......

if women want equal access to wages, then they need to accept equal access to the responsibility of providing for the household....

My hubby proposed after we had bought the ring together. I would not recommend this - I suffered from "shitty sundays" every week for 4 months until he proposed! Eventually the proposal was a quick walk on the beach and he pulled the ring out of his pocket. No bended knee, I think after months of me getting crankier and crankier he was happy it was over and done with!
That's too funny! :D Why on earth would you buy the ring together and then not propose for months. :rolleyes: He was just asking for trouble!!!!! :D

I don't get marriage these days.

women want equal access to education and work and wages........

they put a lot of men out of work doing so........

then they want rings and romance and restaurants in bulk......

if women want equal access to wages, then they need to accept equal access to the responsibility of providing for the household....

WW you must move in the wrong circles :eek:

Don't get the "putting men out of work" bit though. Apart from it surely not belonging to the men in the first place I thought we were suffering a labour shortage???

Last edited:
Or the wrong century?

kaf

No kaf, he's pretty much spot on.

1. entitlement princess

A female who believes that she should receive special treatment from all who come into contact with her. She is a condescending, self-centered, nasty little b!tch. She often doesn't have a job and uses her daddy's/husband's/fiance's credit card to purchase services and items far beyond her own income (which is usually zero) would allow.

Met plenty of these in my lifetime.

Mark

No kaf, he's pretty much spot on.

1. entitlement princess

A female who believes that she should receive special treatment from all who come into contact with her. She is a condescending, self-centered, nasty little b!tch. She often doesn't have a job and uses her daddy's/husband's/fiance's credit card to purchase services and items far beyond her own income (which is usually zero) would allow.

Met plenty of these in my lifetime.

Mark
Entitlement Prince

A male who believes he should receive special treatment from all who come into contact with him. He is an over-bearing, self-centred, narcisistic little so-and-so. He often doesn't have a job and uses his father's/wife's/finance's cred card to purchase services/beer/power tools/beer/soup up his car/beer, and other items far beyond his own income (which is usually zero) would allow. Generally found parked in front of the plasma whilst wife is out gainfully employed, she's the one that comes home from work to do ALL the housework. AKA a pimp.

Yes, and I've met plenty of these in my lifetime too!

Or the wrong century?

kaf

nah kaf, women who feel it is their right for a guy to slave hard in a ditch digging holes (the sort of job women don't want) so she can feel special with rings, jewelry, flowers, honeymoons, courting at expensive restaurants, and fancy weddings (her Dad's money); and then expect him to be the main bredwinner servicing the mortgage, while she continues the indulgence by spending her regularly punctuated earnings on clothes, makeup, hair, pedicures, manicures, shoes etc, is not from this century.

all seems to be tied up with the anachronistic belief that if a man really loves a woman, he'll show it by spending lots of his hard earnt money on totally non utilitarian bright shiny things for her.

I know many of them through work and see them down at Toowong Village and Westfield Indooroopilly. And I know many first gen migrants who don't expect that stuff.

Funny how the family court doesn't see it your way either, goanna and kaf.

do it your way, no use somersoft proposing to your girlfriend as it might not feel like its coming from your heart, and that would be dissapointing :)

Generally found parked in front of the plasma whilst wife is out gainfully employed, she's the one that comes home from work to do ALL the housework. AKA a pimp.

Yes, and I've met plenty of these in my lifetime too!

yeah a guy who spends all week out doing hard manual labor (plumbing, roofing, tiling, concreting, mechanic, farrier) in the heat or cold, while his wife has a nice sit down job in air con, is totally unreasonable in thinking he can have a lie on the couch. :p

I reckon there's something about hard physical labor that keeps one's perspective on the value of a dollar. More women should try it. The calculus of "I have to shovel half a ton of gravel to buy that pair of red shoes" would help sort the oestrogen surges and retail therapy out quick smart. :)

Hey Winston.... I think you may be making a few sweeping generalisations here :confused:

There are good and bad apples, male and female, and for every princess story, I feel sure we women on the forum could give you a story about a tosser of a bloke we knew once.

yeah a guy who spends all week out doing hard manual labor (plumbing, roofing, tiling, concreting, mechanic, farrier) in the heat or cold, while his wife has a nice sit down job in air con, is totally unreasonable in thinking he can have a lie on the couch. :p

I reckon there's something about hard physical labor that keeps one's perspective on the value of a dollar. More women should try it. The calculus of "I have to shovel half a ton of gravel to buy that pair of red shoes" would help sort the oestrogen surges and retail therapy out quick smart. :)

So if the woman was say a gardener and the husband worked at a computer the husband should come home and cook and do the housework?

So if the woman was say a gardener and the husband worked at a computer the husband should come home and cook and do the housework?

Well more like do a significant portion...especially if they are away from home for equal periods.

Personally, I don't know too many of the guys being generalized above, who do nothing at home but lie on a couch.....do you?

I rarely sit down with my job and it is quite physical and involves talking with clients non stop....hence lying on the couch and playing somersoft in downtime is a reasonable balance to work.

My partner sits at work in front of a puter and has the odd meeting....

Nevertheless, I am happy to share domestic work equally....
how reasonable and non generalist is that? :p

Hey Winston.... I think you may be making a few sweeping generalisations here :confused:

No Wyles, those who don't accept there are women like I am describing are making the sweeping generalizations.

There are good and bad apples, male and female, and for every princess story, I feel sure we women on the forum could give you a story about a tosser of a bloke we knew once.

I stated above I know a lot of first gen migrant women who don't fit the stereotype I am digging at...... I am not a misogynist or anything like that....just think it is better for men and women to toughen up and live with strength of character, a good dose of practicality, and financial realism......this thing where women want to hold onto the ways of yesteryear and play the helpless female who needs a male to prove his love by spending $s on stuff of no utilitarian value, while simultaneously wanting equal access to the means to earn income themselves, doesn't reconcile with me.

And I am equally critical of guys who spend excessive amounts on jet skis and cars and boats and getting hammered every weekend....

Winston, I think you have had a bad experience but don't let it get to you.

We are not all princesses, many of us can and do shovel gravel and get dirty. I actually only know one or two princesses. Most women I know are "normal". Many women work outside the house, and many husbands work in the house, plenty of women doing hard, hot work while hubby sits in the air-con, but women still do the lion's share of housework.

I don't know anyone who wants their hubby to bring them "shiny things". I think most women have moved on from that and can buy their own shiny things.

I am happy to do most of the housework, because we have chosen that I don't go OUT to work, but there is plenty of work to do running a household of five, plenty of mum's taxi trips, and plenty of cooking, cleaning etc etc etc. Hubby does a little, but I don't expect him to share it equally. However, if I went to work, he would be doing much more, or we would get someone in to do more and we would both cover the cost.

And let me tell you that my husband often tells me that he could not, and would not, do what I do.

Back