re:- report writing

i would like to find out if there's ways to improve my report writing skills. at the moment, it is quite basic. some examples are increasing my vocabulary and purchase a report writing for dummies :p

any help is appreciated. :)

i would like to find out if there's ways to improve my report writing skills.
1. Use a Capital Letter to begin a sentence. It should be "I" not "i".
2. "there's" should be "they're", 'ways' is plural not singular.

at the moment, it is quite basic.
1. Again, use a Capital Letter to begin a sentence.
2. "it is" should be "they are", 'skills' is plural not singular

some examples are increasing my vocabulary and purchase a report writing for dummies
1. Again, use a Capital Letter to begin a sentence.
2. Also use commas e.g. Some examples are, increasing ..... and purchase a, report writing for dummies
3. Consider using quotation marks around book titles such as "report writing for dummies" and also use CAPS making it "Report Writing for Dummies"

I hope this has been a lesson for you :D:D

OK, sorry Kero, I must have been feeling a bit like Edmund Blackadder when he said of his own painting:
"This will be the greatest moment in art since Mona Lisa walked into the studio and said, I'm feeling a little odd today."

So on a seroius note, maybe have a chat to these people?
http://www.literacyline.edu.au/hear_about_us.html

or if this is too basic, perhaps a WEA course put on at a local TAFE?

thanks for those who have constructive comments :p

i go to sites to assess construction compliances/inspections. Then i'll compile the notes I write during inspections into a report- advising on non compliances and then our professional recommendations.

i know 'in my head' what complies and what don;t but i struggle to put it altogether in a report. :(

kero, have you considered using a dictaphone / hand held tape recorder, on the job as you go around, and then hading it over to an office admin person that can do it up in a nice report with tables etc for you to sign off on?

that's a very good idea... no chance to be typed by someone else though. i'm the new kid on the block. had a look at one of the websites... two thumbs up! :)

I don't want to sound like I'm dumbing things down for you but,...............

I've just bought for my 6 & 10 year old grandsons to use, 4 books titled, How to Write Poems, How to Write Emails and Letters, How To Write Stories and How To Write Reports. They were $2.99 each at Hot Dollar (A $2 shop at Wetherill Park).

The books may be presented in a 'childish' way but they cover what you need even if you are an adult. The contents include - Writing about a trip, newspaper reporting, an interview, book review, balanced report, power of persuasion, information writing, project writing and more. The book covers useful words to use, how to place your paragraphs in order, mind mapping, researching, what tense to write in, presentation, and so on. It also includes activities for practice and covers some grammar!

It covers exactly what you'll learn in a course or from an adult book - it's just written for a younger audience. For $2.99 it's worth a look anyway!

Here's some helpful links too -
http://www.dlsweb.rmit.edu.au/lsu/content/pdfs/2_AssessmentTasks/super_report.pdf

http://www.scribe.com.au/writing-tips.html

http://www.griffith.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0014/42440/Report-Writing-Tips.pdf

Can you set yourself some (pretend) reports to write and get a trusted friend to critique your work and give you feedback on ways to improve?

Are there any short courses at TAFE on report writing? Or maybe a teacher or TAFE teacher will tutor you.

Good luck
Olly

i would like to find out if there's ways to improve my report writing skills. at the moment, it is quite basic. some examples are increasing my vocabulary and purchase a report writing for dummies :p

Tafe run some basic report writing classes.

They are a good place to start.

mike

Back