re:- settlement agent and RE agent

getting a bit worried now.

we bought a property in Vic off the plan and sold it recently after it was built. Settlement was last week. What got me worried is this:

1. I paid an initial deposit for the property. Then came the buyer who paid a 5% deposit of the contract price. After agent's fees and advertising fees, it seems that the RE agent only transferred my initial deposit back to me and not the new deposit made by the buyer.

2. Contacted the settlement agent and asked her if there are any other big ticket item required to be deducted besides stamp duty. The reason was because the amount I am expecting to get from her is way more than the amount she quoted. She went away and did some calculations and came back to tell me:

"My apologies but the purchasers whom brought for you, adjusted on the stamp duty and registration fees which is where the shortfall is. I have urgently requested this to be reimbursed and will keep you updated in regards to this."

Shouldn't this be checked at date of settlement? is it me unlucky or some people are not doing their job well? I am worried now that the buyer refuse to pay the balance. :(

One of our solicitors, once, decided to ignore our deposit (albeit, a meagre $1000) in the settlement statement. Don't know what would have happened when he tried to balance his trust account! :eek:

In other words, check everything, trust no-one!!

thanks WC. I hope this is just an oversight and redeemable oversight. not going to have high service expectations anymore. :(

got a call for my conveyancer and she said the buyer's conveyancer was expecting me to pay the full stamp duty.

the case is now with Westpac Ombudsman. Apparently, the bank made a mistake in the application as well...

anyone had expereience with this process? :confused:

Back