Re-site house + convert to granny flat

Hi, I'm after a bit of advise from those more experienced...

I have an investment property on 575m2 block (fibro, about 100m2), and I have an offer of a free house as a friend is building on his block, his is an old fibro cottage about 100m2 too.

I want to transport his cottage to the back of my block, there is adequate clearance (900mm side, 3m rear, and well over 1.8m between dwellings).

I know the limit for affordable housing SEPP is 60m2, and rather than physically modify the house which would be costly, can I designate 60m2 of this new dwelling to remain habitable, and designate and restrict 20m2 to be storage, and turn 20m2 into covered outdoor decking?

Much appreciated.

You'll need to first get approval to place a 120 sq m house into your backyard and this, I'm afraid, is impossible, no?

The plans to council wouldn't be for the 120m2 house, they would see the 60m2 with large deck area etc, and by the time it comes for finals and approvals the house would be modified to match, does this sound realistic?

Also, I was wary of the fibro, council have advised that only disturbed asbestos (if the house needs to he cut in half, or of it gets damaged) would require replacing. But worst case I was wary it may need to be re-clad...

The plans to council wouldn't be for the 120m2 house, they would see the 60m2 with large deck area etc, and by the time it comes for finals and approvals the house would be modified to match, does this sound realistic?

Also, I was wary of the fibro, council have advised that only disturbed asbestos (if the house needs to he cut in half, or of it gets damaged) would require replacing. But worst case I was wary it may need to be re-clad...

Yes and no.
Council have the right to inspect your development at any stage and if they see what's there isn't what was drafted, can issue a 'stop work order'.

Rules for transported buildings are different too, with a Section-68 Application needed. Best to check with the Local Council or engage a professional.

Back