Read a very interesting article today about Interest Rates - thought I'd share it

Article from Steve McKnight - sent via email at 11.30am today. I hope Mr McKnight doesn't crucify me for quoting this excerpt from his newsletter, but I found the article very interesting & wanted to share his thoughts with others. :)

In a nutshell, events are conspiring that cause me to be absolutely convinced...

...that interest rates are on target to crash through 10%,
thereby triggering a massive credit squeeze!

No, this is not alarmist nonsense. Give me a few minutes of your time and I'll explain why 10%+ interest rates are as good as certain.

It's not all bad news though. The pending economic correction will create a buyer's market for property, the likes of which we haven't seen for over 16 years.

With this in mind, be sure to read on as I've given you three critical points that I recommend you immediately implement to ensure you're not wiped out, but rather well positioned to profit in the months ahead. Let's get started.

WARNING: US Recession On the Cards!

Don't believe the spin. Things are far from rosy for the US economy. In fact, many well credentialed independent economic observers are predicting a substantial recession. And I'm here to tell you that if the US economy gets the sniffles, then world financial markets will catch a nasty cold.

Think about this. The US Congressional Budget Office currently estimates their YEARLY spending on the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts totals $132,000,000,000 (that's 132 billion dollars). Surely that's an amount that would make even Bill Gates blush!

Where's all this money coming from? The answer is debt, debt and more debt!

In fact, the US government is so desperate for money
that they're borrowing from China, Russia... even Mexico.

Of course, countries aren't charities and they don't lend interest-free, and given the increasing debt burden and massive budget deficits, currency experts are now starting to question the true worth of the once all mighty US dollar, especially as the domestic US economy suffers reflux as it chews through their sub-prime housing problems.

The response from the US Fed is to keep dropping their cash lending rate in the hope that lower interest rates entice consumers to borrow more, and then use that money to keep spending so that their economy grows rather than stalls.
Rates Set To Rocket Up!

Hopefully you're still with me, as I'm about to tie it all together and explain how a higher Aussie dollar will naturally and surely cause our home loan interest rates to keep rising.

Consider this. You're an investor with the following two investment options:

A. You can buy US government bonds and get 4.75% return. Remember that the greenback is presently weighed down with massive debt and is looking pretty ordinary by even the most optimistic observers.

OR

B. You can buy Aussie bonds and receive a 6.75% return. Remember, the Aussie economy is backed by a resources boom and forward orders for metals and resources which we simply can't meet due to antiquated infrastructure.

Unless you've got rocks in your head, you'd buy Aussie bonds because the return is higher and the underlying investment more reliable. And that's exactly what foreign investors are doing. For instance, a current popular FX trade that high rollers are using is to borrow money in Asia at low interest rates (say 1%) and convert that borrowed money into Aussie dollars to buy Aussie bonds paying 6.75% interest, thereby making (hopefully) enough of a margin to bank a nice profit.

Clearly, this is a strategy that only professionals should try since there's
more risk in what I've described above than driving down a major freeway at top speed with your eyes shut.

The essential message is this - the more the US dollar drops, the better the Aussie currency looks, both in terms of return and reliability. And as investors convert their foreign pounds, pence and pesos to buy Aussie dollars, buyer demand will keep putting upwards pressure on the value of our currency.

On the plus side, a trip to Disneyland hasn't been as financially attractive on the currency exchange since the mid 1980's. On the downside, as our dollar heads into territory not seen in two generations, we're more likely to buy cheap imports and blow out our own trading account as exports become more expensive and less competitive on world markets. That is, our spending on purchases will go up, but our income from export sales down.

It's a little cruel that the US is trying to stimulate their economy at the exact same moment the RBA is trying to cool ours. But cool it they must if they want to keep inflation in check.

Conservative channels like the ANZ Bank have published the following glib forecast:

"It now looks as though the Reserve Bank has considerably more work to do in order to dampen medium-term inflationary pressures. We now expect three more 25bp rate hikes in the current tightening cycle - once in November and two more in the first half of 2008."

If this happens then home loan interest rates are at 9% before the end of March next year.

Except for pork barrelling, there may be a glimmer of hope that the RBA could steer us into safe fiscal territory. Sadly though, it seems that dumb and dumber is the name of the election game since each party seems hell bent on trying to out do each other in the amount of money they're promising to put in the hands of consumers to spend.

Here's the newsflash... tax cuts win elections, but our country desperately needs money spent on infrastructure, not iPods!

Sadly, no one seems to be listening, so what the tax man giveth in the way of tax cuts, the RBA will surely taketh away through higher interest rates.

We're Trapped In a Gloom Cycle!

I'm sorry to have to tell you that we're trapped in the beginnings of a gloom cycle. Last year I was almost laughed out of town when I predicted interest rates would be a percent higher within 12 months. Sadly, I've been proven right.

Now, I'm updating my forecast to conclude that - unless there is a substantial shift in economic policy and a marked move towards good governance - Aussie interest rates will be at, or slightly above, 10% on or before the 30th June 2009. And this is regardless of who wins the election.

Pushing political spin to one side, the truth is we're heavily in debt (just like the US), but it's businesses and consumers (rather than the government) who are to blame. Home prices are, frankly, at ridiculous levels. The 1 in 100 year drought is pushing up the price of food, oil prices have never been higher, and both sides of government are handing out billion dollar election promises like candy.

It's all spend, spend, spend... and this will only result in inflation. In response, the RBA has no option but to keep bumping up interest rates in the hope that, sooner or later, people put away their credit cards.
Your Homework - Here's What To Do...

First of all, don't waste your time, or breath, trying to change the system.

Federal Treasurer Peter Costello was right last week when he said "I don't believe the business cycle is defeated. At some point the business cycle will turn down. No doubts about it."

Hallelujah! That's the most honest statement I think
I've ever heard out of the mouth of a politician!

Accepting financial markets for what they are is essential in deciding how to position yourself to capitalise on cyclical changes. It seems we're now at the dusk of the easy money phase, so I suggest you ready the heavily sails in preparation for choppier financial seas.

Specifically, here are three absolutely essential things that I've recommended my closest family and friends do as soon as possible:

1. Exit Marginal Property Deals While You Can

Honestly, a property deal that's floundering in the current climate is going to be a bigger dud as interest rates rise and the real estate values soften. I'm telling friends and family to bite the bullet - sell while you can and live to fight another day.

2. It's Time To Get Educated

The next market correction will trigger the biggest redistribution of wealth in two decades.

As interest rates continue to climb, we will enter a true buyer's market where those who know what, where, when and how to buy will make more money in five years than others will in several lifetimes.

Of course, just like the good times don't last forever, neither do the bad times either. For instance, when the currency correction happened in Asia in the early 1990's, people who snagged good quality property for cents in the dollar came out the other side with literally millons of dollars in easy equity. On the other hand, people forced to sell will lose a lifetime of wealth in seconds.

The writing is on the economic wall. If you don't know how to read it then get educated fast.

3. Prepare And Be Patient

I'm no Chicken Little. I'm simply letting you know what I'm doing.

At the moment I'm sitting on a pile of cash and waiting patiently for the financial sun to set. In the meantime I'm cherry-picking great property deals as I see them, but I'm not risking the bank on a speculative project that will flop when money dries up and banks stop lending as freely.

Already I notice that many financiers have tightened their lending policy on building projects - down to 65% LVRs. This is the first of many similar moves.

Interesting article, I liked it. However I really dont see why he is saying to sell properties, I mean just because the interest going up doesn't mean the rent will go down so I dont see why sell them..

Got the same email. Also got another one a few months back saying property was looking great again. Truth is in the middle somwhere i think.

Yea yea, remember when interest rates were at 18%?

How did property fare? were there many people who made millions of dollars from real estate when everyone was saying "sell!"?

Theres ALWAYS going to be doom and gloom but I personally couldnt give a rats a** what they say, Ive got a long term plan and Im sticking to it, Ill let you know how it goes ;]

Yea yea, remember when interest rates were at 18%?

How did property fare? were there many people who made millions of dollars from real estate when everyone was saying "sell!"?

Calling a spade a spade, I believe property didn't do very well when rates were high. If you survived, you had to sit tight for 5-7 years waiting for the next boom.

There are always many people who make millions. The question is are you prepared for, say, a significant increase in rates?

Don't get me wrong: I believe in property long term and I'm not planning to sell, but that's because I have a significant buffer. Fine to ignore the doom and gloomers but bad things do happen, so be prepared.
Alex

Ive taken full advantage of fixed rates on my loans and still have almost 5 years left on the fixed period, by the time I have to refinance, rents should have increased and I shall be able to sit it out, I dont think it would be a big worry for me,

Its one of the many things that affect us investors and we should prepare for such things, always plan for anything and youll get through it.

Ive taken full advantage of fixed rates on my loans and still have almost 5 years left on the fixed period, by the time I have to refinance, rents should have increased and I shall be able to sit it out, I dont think it would be a big worry for me,

Its one of the many things that affect us investors and we should prepare for such things, always plan for anything and youll get through it.

However, fixing limits your scope to refinance. In a down market it might make sense to prepare to buy more? For example, if the market tanked I wouldn't be sitting it out: I'll be buying.

(I'm playing both sides, as you can see).
Alex

I don't get it... interest rates at 10% means underlying inflation must be running way above RBA's targeted upper band of 3% (where it is at now). Even if inflation was at 6% which is 4% below interest rates, the value of my properties should be going up at 6% but my debt stays. During the late 80s and early 90s high rates = high inflation. With high inflation, I have an excuse to pump rents up. If the IPs are median homes, providing median rents, you'd be very comfortable even if half the population lost their jobs. This I can't see happening by 2010. But if it all turned to *****, I reckon you'll still be OK to carry through the pain cos the mortgagee sales usually comes from hocked up home buyers who must also pawn their plasmas, Ipods, jet-skis, European cars..etc.. just to stay afloat. After selling their home and with possibly some spare cash lying around, I wonder where they would live? My IP perhaps... :)

The last part of my deleted post was to the effect that if this was news, you should broaden your reading. I'll stick with that. :D

Specifically, here are three absolutely essential things that I've recommended my closest family and friends do as soon as possible:

1. Exit Marginal Property Deals While You Can

Honestly, a property deal that's floundering in the current climate is going to be a bigger dud as interest rates rise and the real estate values soften. I'm telling friends and family to bite the bullet - sell while you can and live to fight another day.

....well, being a contrarian investor, I'm gonna go directly against Steve's advice and buy up. If she all turns pear shaped, well, I'll have to cop it on the chin and admit defeat....until then...tallyho !!! :)

I am out to lunch on this stuff.
I owned property back in the eighties and the thing I noticed back then from a home owner perspective was that the value of my house doubled seemingly overnight and then flattened out for a few years. The main thing I remember is that inflation had the effect of devaluing my debt. That was a good thing as I payed out my loan much quicker and realised my Ausy dream.
Devaluation of debt in my view is a great byproduct of inflation. No wonder the banks want to raise their interest rates so they can keep up with the inflationary trend. After all, when a house goes up in value by way of inflationary pressure, the bank loan on that house does not, only the interest component of the portion that is leveraged.
My thoughts on the future are : as investors we need to focus on the sustainability of our current LVR's. The more we are leveraged to harder we are hit with the interest rate rises. But the more we gain in equity from the inflationary trend. Balance is always the key.

Last edited:
The maths

IP @ 350K
laon @ 80% = 280k
Int @ 8% = $430p/w
rent = $350p/w
difference = $80p/w short

Int @ 10% = $538p/w
rent inc over 2 years at 5% = $385p/w
difference = $153p/w short

Its a big hit if SMcK is right especially if you own a few. How much of the increase can be passed onto the tenant?

The maths

IP @ 350K
laon @ 80% = 280k
Int @ 8% = $430p/w
rent = $350p/w
difference = $80p/w short

Int @ 10% = $538p/w
rent inc over 2 years at 5% = $385p/w
difference = $153p/w short

Its a big hit if SMcK is right especially if you own a few. How much of the increase can be passed onto the tenant?

You forgot to add the increased value of the property into your calcs or don't you believe that the property will increase with the inflationary trend? the rents will eventually increase but there is always a lag because of logistics.

i recall reading a separate article that went along the lines of...if interest rates go up then renters (including would be home buyers) would not be able to get onto the market, thereby pushing up demand for rental accommodation and thereby rents.

additionally, the inflationary pressures would push up the price of property whilst the loan amount would stay static.

i would say its a good time to buy...

Your right I didn't mention CG. I am more interested in how to cope with the rising holding costs. Even with improved CG will ppl be able to manage the increased -ive CF?

Interest rates reflect inflation. Inflation goes up interest rates go up and if inflation goes down interest rates go down, well that's been my observation. Governments have a determined fixation on keeping inflation low. So the days of high inflation and therefore high interest rates are gone forever. A little inflation IMO wont harm the economy but should it start to take off again then the best thing we can do as investors to protect our capital is to leverage our properties through mortgages and buy more:D

the best thing we can do as investors to protect our capital is to leverage our properties through mortgages and buy more:D

But while inflation is within bounds, the rate of interest paid will be approx 5% greater than inflation. Ergo, inflation only works it's magic on your equity, not your debt. I fail to see the value of being up to your eyeballs in mortgage debt while interest rates are rising.

Back