Ready to buy in Parramatta

Hi Rixter

I prefer Wenty and Pendle Hill rather than the southside, mainly due to proximity to transport. But I agree that there's some good value to be found. How is your villa going?

Its going well Jacque. Same tenant, due for a lease renewal with rent rise. Some comparative sales suggest its had some good CG. Ticks along nice.

No Hurstville is not a cbd. nEVER SAID IT WAS.

hardly call Parra a cbd.. maybe an unwanted one IMO.

Prices have gone up everywhere.

Hunt.

Hiya

In my previous life i was a chartered accountant; the major accounting firms have their offices in Parramatta...my friend is a lawyer and just bought in Parramatta; she mentioned they are moving the whole law courts to Parramatta...not to mention whole office blocks of government offices like the courts and police in downtown Parramatta...major banks too...my own accountant has bought an office suite and i have to trudge to his office there now:mad:

You mean this is not a CBD? You have got to be kidding??!!! when is the last time you walk through Parramatta?:p

Parramatta has been the geographic centre of Sydney for some 20 years now.

Quick test for CBD-ness: look for a George Street or a Pitt Street. Bonus points if there are both. :)

Hiya
whole law courts to Parramatta...not to mention whole office blocks of government offices like the courts and police in downtown Parramatta...major banks too...my own accountant has bought an office suite and i have to trudge to his office there now:mad:

You mean this is not a CBD? You have got to be kidding??!!! when is the last
time you walk through Parramatta?:p

Agree with Virgo. List doesn't stop there..
Recently Sydney water moved their whole office with about 2000 employees!
Few other gov department such as Attorney General’s, RTA, Fair Trading NSW, OSR, Defence moved few years back.

Already the Westfield expanded and nice connection to the railway station.
Parra will look even better with the new civic park development.

I might be over ambitious but Parra could be the 3rd biggest city (after Syd & Mel) in Australia!

2br unit in Harris Park for 275K (asking 289K)
Will be rented for $350pw
Size is 63 sqm internal + LUG

Congrats on the purchase. Rental sounds good. I have a IP in a neighbouring suburb so it could be time to up the rent! Although I am looking to also sell it too.

Hi Justine

I think it's great that you have the time and energy to search for yourself but do make sure that you follow the tips of those here before you, especially the wise words of Player, Prop and those who've bought in the area. As you know :D only too well, I've purchased for many clients in the Parra region and can at least offer comments on Bill's links above (if nothing I can at least save you some time traipsing around to the wrong properties!)

1. Bowden St in HP is ok but this end does suffer from exposure to the nearby M4 noise. It can also be a visual deterrent.

2. This one in Good St is actually on the corner of Bowden and suffers the same as 1. Been on the market now for a long time.

3. The other side of Wigram St is my preference as this side backs onto the rail line and doesn't have as much "ambience" as the other side. This unit is also very very small and in poor condition. Trust me on this :D

4. Not my preferred part of Westmead as there's a lot of complexes in competition with one another and anything under $400K here usually has a downside (large complex, busy position, poor floorplan, lack of secure parking etc) It also backs onto the Cumberland Hospital site (not everyone's first choice)

Bill is right, in that there is currently good competition for the lower priced units and those of good quality tend to sell quickly leaving little room for negotiation. As others have said it's IMPERATIVE that you know your values, have access to the latest sales data (please don't rely on the agent to give you this) and select the right complex. They are certainly not all equal.

A strata search is a must before going unconditional with any contract, and remember that here in NSW it's considered standard procedure to exchange under a cool off and perform your DD during this period. However, you need to be smart here and ensure your terms are accepted prior to exchange, preferably have a strata search underway (if not complete) and obtain a written rental appraisal from a PM so you can ascertain your likely yield. Also hop on realestate.com.au to check out current rentals in the area.

Despite what Evan believes, its my humble opinion that local knowledge is not something you can pick up over a few weekend visits so read read read as much as you can and ask those before you questions of the area. Knowing the individual agents and their "modes" of practice can also be highly helpful :D however feel free to shoot me a PM if you come across a tricky one and I may be able to assist with my "professional opinion" here. Best of luck and happy searching!

Hi Everyone,
I am completely new to this and looking to buy my first investment property. Im considering Harris Park units as it seems close to Parra, any tips on where to avoid and where the Housing commission units are? Jacque mentioned above to avoid those near the motorway and train line...could you advise which is the right side of Wigram street?
Thanks everyone!
J

Thanks everyone, I've added a couple to my list and now have 7 back to back appointments of similar places across 3 suburbs so that should give us a good comparison.

Can anyone offer advice on what sort of discount off the asking price agents usually accept in Sydney. In Melb you usually have to offer over the asking price if you stand a chance to buy but I'm getting the impression that 5-10K under may be reasonable in Syd?

I've got an apartment in Harris Park, Walk to parramatta CBD, Best Unit top floor in a lowrise set of 10, unit below mine gets $415pw

http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/c-Unit...-Area-Sale-HUGE-Appartment-W0QQAdIdZ335626470

The realestate agent even brought a buyers agent over who than brought a customer but too many middle men make it overpriced rather pass on the savings directly to an investor on SS. Lots of CG potential (Little India) where there is constant and huge immigration.

Reason for sale is I am buying a place in city and my loan is based on approval only if I sell this place first (I want to skip LMI and need the deposit)

Would love to keep it, I rent out the small room between 200-250pw share and live in the master myself which covers more than half the mortgage. But City life is just too tempting for a Gen Y and I have the cashflow to afford luxury now and want to escape the western suburbs.

Hi Everyone,
I am completely new to this and looking to buy my first investment property. Im considering Harris Park units as it seems close to Parra, any tips on where to avoid and where the Housing commission units are? Jacque mentioned above to avoid those near the motorway and train line...could you advise which is the right side of Wigram street?
Thanks everyone!
J

North of Cambridge St / Allen St. South is noisy as its wedged between M4 and railway, with lower rent and lower quality tenants to match.

Tom84: For your ad, put photos of living areas etc as well so people know what it looks like. If its a nice place, consider spending $200 on a pro photographer and maybe a floorplan.

North of Cambridge St / Allen St. South is noisy as its wedged between M4 and railway, with lower rent and lower quality tenants to match.

Tom84: For your ad, put photos of living areas etc as well so people know what it looks like. If its a nice place, consider spending $200 on a pro photographer and maybe a floorplan.

Cheers Dave, Have added pictures of living area.

I agree to far South and you will hear noise from M4 I'm very fortunate been only 3min walk from the station but have 1 street in between so there is no noise at all, where's people just across the road would be getting hammered on Cambridge street. And if you travel up Allen St towards good Street then you will get the M4 Noise and heavy traffic from people going onto parramatta road. If you sit between the two in the middle it's ideal.

Back