Ready to redevelop

We have an IP which is on a 1300m block and we would like to take it to the next stage and get it DA approved. The IP is in Perth and I was wondering is there anyone who could recommend an architect and what should it roughly cost to have plans drawn up and submitted to council for three townhouses, thanks in advance.
jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Hi Jim,

before you go out spending money on Architects, go to your local council & ask to speak to someone in the "town planning" division... they will give you a rough idea on whether what you are proposing to do fits in with the Council's rules/planning (they may even say that you can fit 4? if they only require around 300m2 per unit/townhouse)...

Once you get a rough you can take it to the next step/stage & hire an architect to draft up some plans to submit to the council for "town planning" approval...

Tip: when talking to the town-planner ask for some architects they have recently dealt with, as if they have a good rapport with the council, you can get your permit passed much quicker & with less hassles (as the architect would know what to expect from that council & vice versa)...

Good luck with that...

Cheers,

MannyB.

Reply: 1.1

In my experience , when ever I've asked some one in council if they can recommend someone , they've said they can't.

Alternative sources of info are looking through recent applications and talking to local real estate agents ( or at your local freestyler meeting ). We got a very good recommendation of a local agent for someone who has been responsible for many of the dual occ, sep 5, town house developments in our area. We went to some houses for sale with potential for redevelopment and asked the agents there. Some weren't interested, but some agents are more actively involved with developments than others and were quite happy to talk.

see change

it's better to be guided by your dreams than your fears

Reply: 1.1.1

Hi SC,

the councils I have dealt with in Melb have been very helpful, even over the phone in terms of giving me information if an application had been made on a property & whether they think the block would fit an X amount of units...

In terms of getting a drafts person, I got mine for my first subdivision from the council (I asked for a few of the architects that have been submitting drawings to the council in recent times, mostly for subdivisions) & you guessed it, I called them & hired one for my first ever development (drawings got passed first go)...

As I'm in Melbourne, it may not be the same in Perth...

Cheers,

MannyB.

Back