real estate agent starting out

can you give any advice for a real estate agent just starting out.. any prospecting, marketing tips? what do you look for in an agent? how do you build up cotacts in your area? any advice welcome thanks

I'd recommend "The great sales book " by jack collis and "Master the art of sell" Tom Hopkins book/audio.
Hopkins also has specific REA type stuff, though I've never heard it.

You can also start a thread called "What you hate the most about REAs" which is sure to get plenty response and give you a clear idea of what you shoudl'nt do.

good luck, though you should make your own.

You can also start a thread called "What you hate the most about REAs" which is sure to get plenty response and give you a clear idea of what you shoudl'nt do.

No, I don't think that'd help at all. Real estate agents are meant to work for the vendors; and most here are buyers.

Real estate agents are meant to work for the vendors; ......

but most work for themselves!

As to being a successful REA, I believe that there is no subistute for time in the game. All the successful REA's I know have been around for many years building up a list of referrals - basically a data base. Vendors come to them, so too do repeat purchasers.

They are personable and as honest as they can be - brutaly honest REA's don't survive IMHO.

Learn quickly to spot the time wasters - lots of these out there- pre qualify purchasers before you show them a property otherwise than at an open for inspection.

With genuine purchasers .. learn how to listen .. (read Dale Carnegies book "How to Win Friends and Influence People) - If someone wants a 3 bed 2 bath house for $400k, don't show them a 2 bed one bath house for $280k - it happens - unless you are trying to show them what they can really get with their budget.

Above all remember this .. in a boom time any average fool can be a relatively successful REA .. it is the good ones that manage to still have a decent income in the tough times.

Good luck,

cheers,

RightValue

You will be taught in the office/agency you work for. You will have to sell the way the whole RE industry does. Conditioning and all.:rolleyes:

One industry to not be a square peg in a round hole is the RE industry. They love to get newbies into the industry and teach them in the time honored traditions of selling real estate. I'll let others comment further if they like.:D

can you give any advice for a real estate agent just starting out.. any prospecting, marketing tips? what do you look for in an agent? how do you build up cotacts in your area? any advice welcome thanks

Last edited:
You will be taught in the office/agency you work for. You will have to sell the whole industry RE does. Conditioning and all.:rolleyes:

One industry to not be a square peg in a round hole is the RE industry. They love to get newbies into the industry and teach them in the time honored traditions of selling real estate. I'll let others comment further if they like.:D

Ah yes...the Jenman system!:cool:

I know this EXTREMELY well. ;)

The wolf in sheep's clothing immediately comes to mind.

There are some very lovely R/E agents I've met but there should be no mistake, every one of them without exception, is in it to make money, just like any other business.

The nice one's who try to be honest, usually aren't in the business for long.

No, the real estate selling system.

Have you noticed just about all agents sell the same way, answer questions with the same answers, have the same cliched sayings, etc etc.....everything the same, no matter where you go.

Its the way property is sold and doing anything different is not encouraged in the RE industry.

The problem is not rogue agents. It's the system that is dodgy. Including the REI's

Ah yes...the Jenman system!:cool:

Yep, the training systems seem to be getting standardized.
Systems & procedures just like at McDonalds.
But at least you know what to expect.
Knowing the other persons answers before you ask the questions is a good negotiating tool, and most times amusing.

Back