Real Estate Agents and their cars

Going on from http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1258558#post1258558

What sort of cars have you seen RE agents front up in?

One really interesting agent that we arranged to meet at a property for sale for a private inspection, very apologetically called up to say he was going to be running late because his car wouldn't start.....

Anyway, he turns up half an hour late, and we could see why - he was driving a clapped out old Volvo from the 70's.... and we rather quite liked the agent from there on.

Not to mention the fact when we got to his office to put in an offer, we couldn't see his desk for the piles of paper up to the ceiling - kind of reflected the condition of his car.

I was wondering if my deposit cheque would get lost somewhere - he must have too, becasue he went to staple it to the contract document, but then could not find his stapler. When he did, it wouldn't work.....

It was like watching a comedy show and in the end got a great deal too.

On the other end of the scale, had some brash, young agents driving brand new M3's and AMG's (with matching -prestige showroom agent offices) with whom we really didn't find it a true pleasure to do business with.

The Y-man

The real estate agents I know drive expensive new cars. Mostly bought on HP.

Around half the agents I have encountered do not even own their own home - they rent.

I've only met one agent who owns an IP.

The above should tell you something.

Had a agent turn up in a General Lee replica to show me through a home. To top it off he was wearing an Hawaiian shirt.

gary%20schneider%20general%20lee.jpg

Had one park a Bentley just outside my house the other day. He was auctioning off a place down the road. Pretty flash car.

Cheers

Jamie

I dont judge a book by its cover. This applies to both ends of the spectrum.

Why is a guy who cannot reliably turn up on time and who takes no care in his presentation better than another RE who turns up in an newly financed M3. I dont know their back story but if they can sell my property for a good price they get the job and my respect.

I am paying the agent for their selling skills not their financial advice.

Last edited:
I dont judge a book by its cover. This applies to both ends of the spectrum.

Why is a guy who cannot reliably turn up on time and who takes no care in his presentation better than another RE who turns up in an newly financed M3. I dont know there back story but if they can sell my property for a good price they get the job and my respect.

I am paying the agent for the selling skills not there financial advice.

+1

Well said.

What sort of cars have you seen RE agents front up in?
From old bombs to stereotypical flash euro's.

If I see them turn up in an old bomb I immediately think they're new to the game and are going to be poor negotiators and very hungry for a sale (good if you're buying; bad if you're selling).

I've never had one tell me they'll need to check the translink site to see what time the next bus is though. lol.

One really interesting agent that we arranged to meet at a property for sale for a private inspection, very apologetically called up to say he was going to be running late because his car wouldn't start.....
Annoying, but nothing wrong with that. Even the newest, most reliable cars get flat tyres/batteries etc.

Anyway, he turns up half an hour late, and we could see why - he was driving a clapped out old Volvo from the 70's.... and we rather quite liked the agent from there on.
Something wrong with that. An agent should have a reliable newish car.

Did you help him push start it?

agents probably 'should' drive a newish calais... doesn't send any stupid messages, non descript, clean and modern, nothing to discuss, let's talk about property not my really good/bad/bizzare car

Reactions: MRO
From old bombs to stereotypical flash euro's.

If I see them turn up in an old bomb I immediately think they're new to the game and are going to be poor negotiators and very hungry for a sale (good if you're buying; bad if you're selling).

Something wrong with that. An agent should have a reliable newish car.

Did you help him push start it?

Similar reasoning - I figured if he's got a car like that, there weren't going to be many others competing for the property! Not young though. His wife (who has now unfortunately passed on) ran the property management side, and she was the one that kept everything working properly I suspect.

The Y-man

agents probably 'should' drive a newish calais... doesn't send any stupid messages, non descript, clean and modern, nothing to discuss, let's talk about property not my really good/bad/bizzare car

I agree with this.

When I see an agent driving an old bomb I automatically think that if the agent was any good they would be making reasonable $$ and could afford a decent car.

You can pick up a 2 year old Toyota Camry for $16k, with 40k on the clock and a year left of warranty. Cheap, safe, non descript, clean and modern car.

I agree with this.

When I see an agent driving an old bomb I automatically think that if the agent was any good they would be making reasonable $$ and could afford a decent car.

You can pick up a 2 year old Toyota Camry for $16k, with 40k on the clock and a year left of warranty. Cheap, safe, non descript, clean and modern car.

I think Mazda 2 or 3 should be the car of choice as well

Sounds good to me.

If agent is driving a top luxury vehicle then i know he is sharp and may be good at maximising profits, perhaps will charge/rip me off, on the other hand he/she driving a bomb is a clear sign they are not making enough money so perhaps not good at what they do.

Then again what should a re agent drive when selling in Peppy Grove to please these folks... ..?.

Back