Real estate career?

Hi all,

I am currently in a career which I do not enjoy for various reasons and I am thinking of changing careers and start fresh. Real estate has come to mind as it is something that I have always been interested in and it is also something that will always exist.

The questions I have is how to get into the business? I know there are licences to get but will it be better to first just get a job and then worry about that, or should I do a course or something to better my chances? From what I have read on the internet there is different courses/licences for every state? Is there maybe a course or something that I can do that will be accepted throughout the country just to keep my options open?

Thank you very much, any help or information will be appreciated.
Cheers.

It varies a little per state but you definitely need the cert before you can work. So, you could do the cert and then go applying, or you could talk to a few agencies about working and, once you've confirmed a spot, go do the cert

Hi Buddy,

What interests you into getting into real estates?

Here are some of my personal opinions about the industry

Pros:
Flexible work
Can earn high income
Relatively easy work if you know what you are doing

Cons:
Every man with a dog can do RE, very low barrier to entry
For the first couple of years, you might not be earning much at all, if you go commission base only, then you will have to be real good at it to earn anything
Must have thick skin
And sorry to say this, most RE agents are liars
It's a cut throat type of industry

Again, if this is something you are passionate about as a career choice, then go for it

It's about $700 to do your agents representative course here in VIC.

You can get a job doing admin roles without your course, but you will have a much better chance of finding a job if you've already went to the effort to get your certificate.

When you say real estate, what do you want to do? Sales, PM, BA? Something else?

I'd say research it carefully and know what you're getting into, it's very demanding and whilst everyone can do it - not many an do it well enough to make a decent income or last more than 2 years.

It's a very cut throat industry and I've seen many people come in that were burnt out in under a year, or just couldn't handle it.

If you are good at it, it can be very rewarding and it's an industry that isn't too hard to find a job in. So that's always a positive!

If you're a people person and love property, you may find it's perfect an worth a shot!

Sales is a lot of time & work and will be difficult for the first 2-3 years, reason being no one knows who you are, the other REA will be talking you down as the new person and why would you list with someone who has only just graduated.

After that if you have been doing a great job it should become easier and after being in the industry for 10-20 years it is like a gravy train as people you sold for will list with you again and the people you sold in the property will also usually list with you.

PM - more odd hours work and dealing with some really nice tenants that are normal and down to earth but also the ones you hear about on ACA. If you go to a more expensive areas they will be more demanding I feel on wanting things repaired.

Forgot to mentioned I feel that woman might actually have an easier time in sales if you can handle it as people generally feel they can trust a female compared to a male. Also if it is a couple (M/F) the female usually goes with a female and we all know who makes the decisions!

Loved selling real estate, hated the pressure, changed to Property Manager eventually with a portfolio of 1200, as a PM with 2 juniors made just as much money as I would have selling and not nearly as much pressure and my weekends free. Its a good job for a career orientated female :D

You found 1200 properties between 3 of you no pressure? What sort of hours were you doing? How many of the tasks could the 'juniors' take on?

As a property investor 400 IPs each to manage is scarey..

My maths on what love your investment would receive in this scenario from your PM per year....

38 hr week x 48 weeks(4 weeks leave per year)1,824 hrs /400 properties = 4.5 hrs dedicated per property per annum:eek:

In the wrong game..

You found 1200 properties between 3 of you no pressure? What sort of hours were you doing? How many of the tasks could the 'juniors' take on?

Was a large well organised R&H office, all clerical work done by office staff, I dealt with the owners & tenants, repairs, also supervised juniors [who were 25 & 20] who showed prospective tenants, plus all running around such as inspection reports - was also PM for another city real estate agent and looked after 500+ properties with 1 junior, once again clerical work carried out by office staff.

Was a large well organised R&H office, all clerical work done by office staff, I dealt with the owners & tenants, repairs, also supervised juniors [who were 25 & 20] who showed prospective tenants, plus all running around such as inspection reports - was also PM for another city real estate agent and looked after 500+ properties with 1 junior, once again clerical work carried out by office staff.

So it was more then 3 people lol

PM would suck as a job

I look after my own IPs and one of my dads and there is something forever breaking/blocking/not paying .

Would be a nightmare with 400 houses

But if you are like most PMs ( or the ones I had when I started) you basically do nothing. And I hear about the oven not working 6 months after it happend

I look after my own IPs and one of my dads and there is something forever breaking/blocking/not paying .

Hi Joey,

Would your time/energy not be better spent looking for new deals/increasing your investment knowlege, than chasing up plumbers etc?

Cheers

Leo

Hi Joey,

Would your time/energy not be better spent looking for new deals/increasing your investment knowlege, than chasing up plumbers etc?

Cheers

Leo

Would be if PMs did there job properly. IF anyone knows any decent ones in ba Northern Suburbs S.A. message me

If you want to be an agent then good luck to you. My advice is to be a p/a to a great agent for at least 12 months. Then go out on your own.

Back