Real estate careers

Hello all again,

A little intro; I am VERY interested in property investing. Have read a little over the last few years and have decided to get into it after buying my houses (PPOR) 2yrs ago. I actually ENJOYED doing the work (call me nuts, I don't care ;)).

I have come to a point where its time to change fields or do more study to get ahead in what I'm doing now. But I need money to live on. Which led me to the following idea...

I start working in real estate!!

Not talking about selling, that part of the process I didn't really enjoy. I'm thinking about property management.

I want to become a serious property investor and have much to learn. My reasoning is that as a property manager I will learn the ins and outs of successful property investment. I will also gain contacts and build a network within the industry for when i get to the point of purchasing an IP myself.

What are the holes in my logic here and what problems may I encounter along the way?

What other (entry level) employment is there within the industry?

Your advice and comments are greatly appreciated.

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Duanne,

You're right - being in property management will give you an extremely good grounding of the real estate industry - but it's a really difficult job!

I think some time ago I posted something about the day in the life of a property manager - perhaps if someone has the link they can post it. Or you could search the archives - although I wouldn't be able to point you in the right direction for that.

The pay is lousy (just letting you know just in case you have a family to feed) and you're basically everybody's problem solver.

You'll need to do a 5 day real estate introductory course before you get a job.

Kind regards

JOANNA

Reply: 1.1

Hi Joanna,

Have you thought about Wrapping or some other investment strategy like Option trading to supplement or replace your income? I know a lady over here in the UK who used to be a property manager but gave it the flick for the reasons you mentioned. She's now having a lot more fun doing a bit of everything related to property investing and wrapping.

Regards, Mike
<p>
PS Can put you in touch with her if you like.

Reply: 1.1.1

Hi Mike,

I sold the business last February. Ten years in the industry was too long. I'm with hubby now doing a few unit developments.

I've done some preliminary investigation on wrapping, but I don't think I'm looking to get into that type of investment just yet. To be honest with you I just couldn't be bothered!!

Right now I'm totally focused on finding development sites, building, selling and keeping a couple out of each development for my portfolio.

I've thought about getting into option trading and the like - but I know zilch about it ( i do own a few shares although nothing exciting).

Unfortunately there's only so many hours in a day, and so many other things that I want/need to do.

When I was working in my business I was very income orientated. My philosophy was I'd take the slow road, build a good business to generate a good income to build a portfolio, then sell my business asset when the time was right. But, stuff it - it took too long and drained too much of my energy.

So now I'm not looking for an income stream just yet. I'm happy to cut my wages a little because I know in just a few years I'll have a very good portfolio generating very good income (which of course I'll manage myself as serviced apartments)which will be totally debt free.

What more can I ask for?

Kind regards

JOANNA

Reply: 1.1.2

The pay is ordinary and the turnover is massive. Just look in the careers section or local papers and you will see what i mean. I've never been a property manager so i'm not exactly an authority on it. But i can say that i give mine a hard time. imagine having 100+ landlords giving you a hard time. hmmm.
Like you Duanne i want to be in the industry full time but still have to live etc.

If you can afford it here is the best way to get into any workplace you want.

Dear "Mr Smith"

My name is Guanne.

"I want to work for you for FREE for 2 monthes."

I love real estate. It is my passion and i want to be a part of the industry more than anything.

Mr Smith you are undoubtedly the best in the field of ' ' and i want to work for the best.

The benefits of allowing me to work for you are:

You will never get a call from me saying i'm sick.

You will never have to pay a dime for the 2 monthes

You can trust that i am honest.

You can expect 100% from me in all that you set.

You don't have to worry about me wearing shorts and t-shirt to work - I am presentable, and i don't attract flies

You can sack me at any time you like and I will leave immediately - no questions asked.

blah blah

attach work history, references etc, skills
what you have done in real estate and importantly where you want to go.

Mr Smith please consider my offer as it is genuine. should you want to interview me please contact me blah blah blah

If you sent this to the best real estate people in the country i'll put money on it that at least one will give you a go.

Thats what i'm going to do soon

my 2 bobs worth

Andrew.

Reply: 1.1.2.1

Andrew,
good luck. Let me know how you go.

Happy investing,

Duanne.

Reply: 1.1.2.1.1

So,
property managing is a hard, poorly paid job. Is there a better way to get into the r/e industry? Is there a way to make it a good job?

Duanne

Back