Real estate Certificate

Hi

My wife wants to to become an agent and heard there was a 1 week course that she can do to obtain a license, anyone heard of such a thing and where this can be obtained?

Thanks

in WA I have just finished doing a 6 month crash course to get agents lcience, but there is another year or so of qualifications e.g. applications, references etc to go thru if I want to licence up properly. Also to do that you need to have a couple of years experience as a sales rep.

I think it is the sales reps licence she would be after? why oh why??

I think it depends if you want to sell real estate on behalf of a licensee or be a licensee. I thought to be a licensee was a 4 year course?

I did the Agent's Representative in Vic several years ago. Did it at home over a month or so, then did 3 or 4 exams at the local TAFE and away we go.

It was easy, but being an agent was hard. Too hard for me. Lasted 3 months. Worst job going. The best thing was learning the inner workings of an agency, and knowing the mindset of agents.

From memory, to become the Licensee, or the Principal of an agency, you needed to be an Agent's Rep for at least 1 year, then there was an extra course to do; I think for 1 year.

there seems to be a glamorous misbelief that agents flit around being overpaid and driving beemers and picking up underpriced blocks of land for a song off of old ladies.

reality is - over regulated, enldess hours, risk is born by agent... no hourly rates in this game. you spend and spend and spend and if the vendor is feelign good and if the property sells and if it settles successfully you will get paid, hopefully

amen to that...thanks ausprop for pointing that out. we don't all drive porsches (though there is one local to me who does...:rolleyes:)

it can be lucrative - but it is certainly not an easy game and can be heartbreaking if you don't have a stiff upper lip.

the criteria is different in every state. in qld you can get a sales ticket in around 4 half days and to become and Licensed Real Estate Agent (own the business, or run the show, hold a trust account etc etc) takes about 20 odd modules - took me about 2 months - takes others about six months depending on the training organisation you use.

no requirements for time etc etc.

Funny how this topic has come up.......

I am taking some extended leave from my current job and seriously looked into getting out there and selling real estate as a change of occupation.

After much consideration I have decided not to go ahead with it, as the whole idea of growing my IP portfolio was to work less infact, and from what I have seen YOU WORK A LOT HARDER for your money.

As passionate as I am about real estate....its on a whole different level:p

sq

Hi

My wife wants to to become an agent and heard there was a 1 week course that she can do to obtain a license, anyone heard of such a thing and where this can be obtained?

Thanks

Convert2online,

In NSW you have 2 choices:
1. Classroom - 1 week full-time - Mon > Fri
2. eLearning - as fast (or slow) as you like - max 6 months

I did mine in 6 nights (after work) and a week-end via eLearning.
Its not for everyone though - some ppl need a teacher rather than reading on their own and doing the assessments.

Aimy

I think it depends if you want to sell real estate on behalf of a licensee or be a licensee. I thought to be a licensee was a 4 year course?

Hi 2bw,

You're right. To sell on behalf of a licensee - only 1 week course.

But to get a REA licence now you can do it via REINSW via eLearning as quick (or slow) as you like but max 12 months.
Classroom options though are obviously full time or part time and that's where I think you are getting 4 years from.

Aimy

Funny how this topic has come up.......

I am taking some extended leave from my current job and seriously looked into getting out there and selling real estate as a change of occupation.

After much consideration I have decided not to go ahead with it, as the whole idea of growing my IP portfolio was to work less infact, and from what I have seen YOU WORK A LOT HARDER for your money.

As passionate as I am about real estate....its on a whole different level:p

sq

Good decision Suze;

It's great fun running around at 8.00am on a Sat and Sun morning putting out the 'open for inspection' signs; nearly as much fun as standing behind the counter in a golf proshop at dawn on those same days. I guess every glamorous job has it's drawbacks.

I'd much rather be on the end of a paintbrush or hammer in one of my renos any day.

Back