Real Estate Speak

Development Potential (subject to council approval)

This is basically meaningless. I could knock down the house and build a 30 storey office/residential tower. (subject to council approval of course!)

What about the indiscriminate and invariably incorrect use of apostrophes?

Only 2 villa's remain (is that "villa is remain" or the possessive form?)

speeling mistakes- often confusing pairs (loose/lose, sort/sought, steal/steel, quiet/quite)

"Our climate is the forth most equitable in the world"

Should be: "fourth" and "equable" (meaning small variation in range)

less/fewer

What about the indiscriminate and invariably incorrect use of apostrophes?
Oh, that's one of my pet peeves! People seem to particularly like to use them after acronyms... "Cheap plasma TV's!", "Huge range of CD's to choose from!", "Buy DVD's here!".

I remember my mother once commenting that she thinks career advisers get a sick thrill from encouraging people with marginal language skills to become sign writers. :D

This may diverge a little off the track, but over the last 12 months the phrase 'mortgage stress" or "rental stress" or "housing stress" has risen to prominence.

Isn't that just doing the hard yards and making sacrifices like every generation before? :rolleyes:

You're (hope the apostrophe is in the correct place, or the spelling police will come after me) quite right. However, these days, everything has to have a catchy headline name. The media are quite insistent on this.

You're (hope the apostrophe is in the correct place, or the spelling police will come after me) quite right. However, these days, everything has to have a catchy headline name. The media are quite insistent on this.

The grammar police will get you anyway, because "the media" is singular.... but perhaps "the media" is also plural?

My head is spinning :eek:.

The grammar police will get you anyway, because "the media" is singular.... but perhaps "the media" is also plural?

My head is spinning :eek:.

No, media is the plural of medium.

TV is a medium, newspaper is a medium. Together they are called the media.

No, media is the plural of medium.

TV is a medium, newspaper is a medium. Together they are called the media.
It used to be this simple, Ian, but language is not static. In the same way as "agenda" has long been accepted for a single agendum, and data is becoming acceptable for a single datum, many believe that media is becoming acceptable in the singular, too. See discussion in Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage.

In Ingham , it is common to advertise "out of known flooding" = the rest of the properties I have listed. please just don't ask.

an example which also adds to the discussion on real estate photography and the one on paint colours.

http://www.realestate.com.au/reales...estate+ingham/zpcahf/homes+for+sale/105499180

Seriously, those diy shows on telly have a lot to answer for.

I sometimes think a license system should be in place for buying paint in certain colours.

Other times I am sure that somewhere, someone has produced a colour chart in braille........

Charming.... small

Comfortable .... very small

Cozy .... very very small

Unique city home .... used to be a warehouse

Daring design .... still a warehouse

You'll love it .... no you won't

Must see to believe .... an accurate statement

owner say sell was mentioned

but I found one which was real bargain (hands off....)

:"Motivated vendor says sell !"

Wow, a real live one who wants to sell !!!!

Back